Go Bottom Go Bottom

JD4020

View my Photos
Todd Wilson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-11-02          32916

To make a long story short.......I have a JD950 2wdMy bud owns 10 acres and is about to move. I will buy his place. His dad and him own a new Kioti 4wd 45hp tractor with loader. Seems to be a fine tractor. I have the option to buy it but I have been finding some older JD 4020 2wd tractors with loaders for about half the price. How well would the 4020 2wd do moving dirt and stuff with loader compared to this Kioti 4wd 45hp loader tractor? I have done some work with the Kioti and its a good tractor. I am trying to save money here. The 4020's are going for about 8-10grand and I can get this Kioti for 16grand.Another option would be to locate a loader for my 950 but its only 2wd and I suspect it wouldnt do very well moving dirt. Thoughts and ideas from the great knowledge out there? I really plan on keeping the 950 and adding another tractor to take care of the 10 acres.Todd

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

JD4020

View my Photos
harvey
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2001-11-03          32919

Todd that 4020 will move lots of dirt. The problem it is it's a 100hp tractor with weight enough to to bust the bucket and arms. The loaders were designed mainly for farm chores. Me thinks you can find a 30-70 hp for same money if you are only intrested in a grunt tractor. Cost to operate and maintain is/should be a consideration. Oil change for 4020? Batteries? Trans and Hyd? Check the capasities. I'd like and old 3020 or 4020 for playing and investment, check what a restored one is going for. Buy the 4020 and take care of it and 10 years down the road you'll get all of your money back. I just got a 1944 Farmall M, my winter project. I like the old tractors. But the new ones do things sooo much easier and cost lots less to operate. I could not afford to mow my lawn with the M. My little baby JD4400 is CHEAP to operate. ....

JD4020

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2001-11-03          32925

The 4020 was a good tractor and you are right that it would initially be a cheaper tractor. I've seen some other people, and some times recommended a older loader backhoe or larger farm tractor to bring a piece of property to a point of not needing that tractor anymore. Than you will want to switch to something more versatile and spend the money anyway. The big units get cumbersome after a while of operating and of coarse some repairs are going to be more expensive as the tractors you are mentioning are nearly 40 years old. ....

JD4020

View my Photos
Roger L.

2001-11-03          32931

It all depends on the condition of the 4020. They are very powerful and capable tractors. I have a 30 hp 4wd compact and an old 2wd 30 hp farm tractor. Both have loaders and power steering. But they are very different machines. I put a lot of work into the old farm tractor to get it to the point where it is now as reliable and well set up as the compact. Not a lot of money....but a lot of work. Having done so, the old farm tractor will do in one pass what it takes the compact an hour to accomplish. And you are talking about a much more powrful machine. BTW, did you know that the 4020 was/is the most popular tractor ever built? Parts and knowledge for that tractor are available everywhere. I like the 3020 better myself, but with any luck and some home repairs you will get a lot of use out of the 4020 and your money back as well. The trick is to find one in good shape to start. Around here a good 4020 will bring $8000 as a bare tractor and $5000 for a beater. Loaders cost $3000. Then after the rough work is done you can use a compact to maintain the land.
If you want a lot of tractor for your buck, right now is also a good time to look at used construction machines -the yellow tractors that you see on construction sites. Typically they have a loader, backhoe, and lots of hours on them. They still work well, but aren't worth the risk of downtime. You can find excellently maintained high hour JDs, Cases, and Fords in the $10 range. ....

JD4020

View my Photos
Bernie Galgoci

2001-11-06          32988

Todd: I have two tractors with loaders. One of them is a JD 3010 with a JD 48 loader. Since both the JD 48 and JD 148 loaders will fit on either a 3010 tractor or a 4020 tractor - at one level the 3010 [55 PTO HP and about 7000 lbs. with loader and rear ballast] is just a smaller cousin to the 4020 [90 PTO HP and about 11000 lbs. with loader and rear ballast]. Perhaps loaders even larger than the JD 148 will fit on a 4020, but even the smaller capacity JD 48 loader on the smaller 3010 is formidable. It can do a lot of work (or a lot of damage) very quickly, and if there's a pile of dirt or something big to be moved from point A to point B in a hurry, it's a good choice. (It also can move a ridiculous amount of snow.) But I also have a 30 HP JD 4400 with a JD 430 loader, and I have noticed that 90% of the time when there's loader work to be done, I pick the 4400/430 combo to do it with. (And it's not because the 4400 has a hydrostatic transmission, although HST is nice for loader work.) Maybe it comes down to the skill of the operator, but the smaller tractor/loader is more "delicate" than the larger tractor/loader, and I find that even though I may have to spend more time making trips with the smaller unit, I also spend less time "cleaning up" after myself with it. And when I couple that with the better (much better) manuverability of the smaller tractor, I sometimes think it takes me less time to do things with the 4400/430 combo than with the 3010/48 combo. As has been said, there are some things a big tractor/loader will do that a smaller tractor/loader can't, which is why I keep the 3010 around. But I can't say I've ever wished that the 3010 had 90 horsepower. However, I have wished it had FWD (or that it was a bulldozer). But since even WITH 90 HP the 4020 isn't going to be a bulldozer either, I might think that at 45 HP the Kioti will do most things you'd want a tractor/loader combo to do. And you get FWD. Gaining 45 HP but losing FWD wouldn't be a trade I'd willingly make in this case (especially since your 950 is 2WD). Unfortunately, money is always a consideration. That's why there's a 2WD 3010/48 combo rather than a 50 HP range FWD combo in my shed. Discounting inflation, ten years from now I will get back everything I paid for the 3010/48. This equipment has bottomed out price wise, and with a little care will hold its value. I'm not familiar with the Kioti and how well it holds its value, but if it's fairly new it's going to deperciate some - and just sitting in the shed it will be losing value. However, I will never get back the almost $2500 (just in PARTS) that my 3010 has needed over the past eight years. And the loader is begging for a new control valve, which sounds like about 450 bucks to me. Seems like the only thing that's certain is depreciation on the new ones and repairs on the old ones. I don't know where that equation balances out with a newer 45 HP Kioti and an older 90 HP 4020. But I do know that a machine just sitting in the shed most of the time because it's too big or too clumsy or it needs a new hydraulic pump or something isn't a bargain either, even if it isn't depreciating. I don't know what kinds of work you're planning on doing, but on 10 acres I think a 4020 would be like a bull in a china shop. It's only advantages would be it IS a good tractor and you most likely will, if you haven't paid too much to begin with, get all your money back if/when you decide to sell it. Personally, if I could swing the Kioti financially, I would be very tempted. Otherwise, I'd be looking for an older, cheaper combo in the 50 HP range. Just my two cents. Good luck! ....

JD4020

View my Photos
Art White

2001-11-06          32989

Bernie, great job. I just had another customer come in and buy a compact tractor for his farm. His reasons, more versatility, fits more places and trusts more employee's to operate. This man has a 130 horsepower loader tractor, he has a skid steer and a payloader. The options he seems to have covered but yet he bought a L-3010 with loader for the flexability over the other machines. He says he gets more done with less with the compacts, he came from a older B-series which he keep for his lawn. ....

JD4020

View my Photos
Todd Wilson

2001-11-06          32991

My plan would be to use the JD950 for mowing and blading the drive.
Then use either a 4020 or the Kioti for loader work (both snow and dirt) and clean up of the 10 acres. Lots of tree's need to be cut and dragged. It has a pond which I probably would widen out some.There was an out building that has been torn down but the dirt under it is dirty (dirty dirt!) Really needs to be stripped and new clean top soil put on top. I've used the Kioti out there a bunch helping and its more then capable of doing the job. The 4020 may be too cumbersome for what I want to do later on.I have no experience with a 4020 so I thought I would get some thoughts from you people here. Thanks for the input! What I have determined is I really need to have 3 tractors. the 950 the Kioti and the 4020! ;)

Todd

JD4020

View my Photos
BCalvinTexas

2002-02-03          35264

The 4020 is a really big tractor and as all your prior responses they are very true....It was the most popular tractor JD made....the key to it is what transmision does this one have???
And as several of the respondents said a good JD4020 will give you back every dime you spent on it. With a cab they
sell for a cool $10,000.....I had a 4020 w/cab and worked 1/2 section with it along with a 730Lp...it's a really smooth powerful machine that was very enjoyable to work with.
The Kiote not doubt is a good manuverable machine but I am aways afraid of getting parts for some of the imports with a low number of dealers available. ....

JD4020

View my Photos
Todd Wilson

2002-02-09          35428

We've got a Kioti Dealer in town who has beenin the tractor repair biz for a long time! Been too cold to do a whole lot here in Kansas. We'll see what the spring brings.

Todd

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login