Go Bottom Go Bottom

Setting throttle

View my Photos
R Donahue
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-08-30          31435

I have a J/D 790 and was wondering how mostpeople set/control the throttle. I usually use the hand throttle and set it to about 2500 rpm and can get away with most work in low gear and without changing throttle. I let a concrete contractor use it to grade my driveway and noticed that he only used the foot peddle and used high gears all the time.He never touched the hand throttle. Does it make a difference?--Rick

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Setting throttle

View my Photos
Henry McCreary

2001-08-30          31439

I've got a 790 and use the hand throttle when mowing or carrying heavy loads for a distance. It seems to me that the tractor rides smoother. When I use the foot throttle, every time a hit a bump, I goose the throttle!

The only time a stick with the foot throttle is when I'm doing lots of shifting (forward / back).... e.g. tight loader work

Setting throttle

View my Photos
TomG

2001-08-31          31441

With my gear tractor, I tend to use the foot throttle and especially for loader work. I usually want to creep into a pile and then give more throttle to fill, curl and lift the bucket. Unlike HST, the foot throttle is the only control over ground speed except for shifting gears. In addition, if for some reason I ever lost control of tractor (hit a bump or something) the tractor would lows almost to a stop. It would just keep going with a high rpm set on the hand throttle. The downside is that the 1500 rpm or so where I set the hand throttle to do most loader work makes for fairly slow loader dumps. I just add rpm with foot throttle to speed dumps, but on my 1710 I can't hold the tractor on a slope with the brakes and use the foot throttle at the same time. ....

Setting throttle

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2001-08-31          31453

There is no doubt that the hand throttle is very convenient at times, however, it can also be a real pain, or worse. Follow the link below and you will understand what I mean....... A split second lost fumbling for the controls can make all the difference in the world. ....

Link:   Safety first, convenience second...........

Setting throttle

View my Photos
BillBass

2001-08-31          31457

Murf I can't get the link to work. Anyone else have the same problem? ....

Setting throttle

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2001-08-31          31459

My apologizies, the link has expired at the originating end. It was a story about an employee of one of my clients. He was employee at a golf course in Ottawa, Canada, and was in his mid 50's having been with the company his whole life. He was aerating on the 18th green (something he has done countless times), only this time an unfortunate combination of circumstances cost him his life. He was operating a 3pth mounted aerator on a compact tractor when he reversed just a little too far, or too fast. The tractor slid down a dew-covered bank, and overturned into a water feature on the course, he was found seat-belted into the overturned tractor shortly afterwards by another employee (a teenage girl emptying waste baskets). Very little is known of the exact cause of the accident, but the following has already been determined; 1) he was a VERY skilled & experienced operator, 2) (as mentioned) he was wearing his seatbelt, 3) the hand throttle was engaged (albait at a moderate setting). It is ASSUMED (from the preliminary investigation) that the reaction time of the employee was reduced because of the hand throttle (he was not able to merely lift his foot to reduce power) being engaged, causing the machine to go too far over the bank edge, and braking capacity was reduced by 1) throttle setting, 2) dew on the grass, and 3) the extreme local drought causing the soil to be very hard and therby reducing tire 'bite' into the soil. Could it happen to one of us, yes, is it very likely to?, no... Willing to take the chance....... Best of luck and enjoy the long week-end all ! ....

Setting throttle

View my Photos
R Donahue

2001-08-31          31460

I think I have to agree with Henry. The spring on the
foot throttle on my J/D 790 is so soft that the slightest
bump sends my foot to the floor. For me it's easier to
control speed with one foot on the clutch and one foot
on the brake. Sounds like this is mostly a question of
personal preference - just wanted to make sure that I was
not doing something wrong.

--Rick ....

Setting throttle

View my Photos
james mills

2001-08-31          31470

my kioti is a gear tractor with shuttle shift, and i find myself using the hand throttle for rpms and the clutch and brake for control. push in the clutch and braking is effective. i would not try to brake with the tractor under power unless on a paved road then only to slighly modify speed for a second or two. i think having a clutch is the bonus to a gear tractor complete reduction in applied power. i will add that i am alarmed by the slippage on wet grass from this and another post, and would ask if those tractors had turfs or other tires. i think i feel safer with slow speeds and the left foot over the clutch. i am very new to this tractor thing but have years of standard shift experience. thursday i backed the 3054 and metavic down a steep incline with a off slope near the top to unload the brush from a maple tree. i will close with go slow and add somehting i read, if it feels unsafe it bprobably is unsafe. ....

Setting throttle

View my Photos
TomG

2001-09-01          31485

Don't know if the 'braking under power' comment was in reference to my post. I don't brake under power except when brake-steering. I was referring to a minor aggravation of having the foot-throttle and the brakes on the same side. When going part way up a pile to dump a bucket on top, the tractor will roll back down the slope when the clutch is disengaged unless the brakes are set. It takes one foot for the clutch and the other for the brakes. There's no foot left over for the throttle to speed up the loader, and the dump speed is slow at low engine rpm. A solution is shifting to neutral, which is better for the clutch throw-out bearing but still a small aggravation. Wish I had a fast-dump feature on my loader. Even HST might be nice. Regarding the tractor accident, the original newspaper photo showed an overturned tractor that looked like flotation tires. ....

Setting throttle

View my Photos
Eric Peters

2001-09-01          31494

I am sure that each tractor is different, but I would agree that the hand set on the 790 is best. I think it is more dangerous to try and operate the foot control. The slighest bump would cause you to accelerate the tractor in tight situation you could get yourself in real trouble. With my 750, which is the same as the 790 in layout. I normally set the throttle at 1800-2000 rpm and then only use the foot peddle occasionally. It requires greater use of the clutch and brake, but it is safer. I think you are worried about some one that is unfamiliar with your tractor, forget it do what you know is best.
Peters ....

Setting throttle

View my Photos
Roger L.

2001-09-01          31497

I normally set the hand throttle for whatever idle I want to return to when my foot is off of the foot throttle....usually around 1000 RPM - though sometimes setting the hand throttle makes for a smoother ride when going longer differences on rough ground. The only time I set the hand throttle up around 2500 RPM is when mowing - and that is for blade speed rather than ground speed. If I had a tiller I might do the same. When I'm doing loader work the foot throttle gets used almost exclusively with bursts of full throttle used to speed up the loader movement. Most blade work is done with the hand throttle set at a fast idle of 1200 to 1500 RPM as it is less stressful on my mind and ears. After all, the governor will muscle up the tractor when we hit a tough spot....that's its job. ....

Setting throttle

View my Photos
Stan in Calif

2001-09-01          31501

I do it pretty much like Roger and Eric- I usually set the hand throttle to a speed high enough to make the hydraulics work well, and do the rest with the foot throttle. In sustained operations like discing, tilling or spraying, I use the hand throttle. -Stan ....

Setting throttle

View my Photos
TomG

2001-09-02          31504

Foot or hand throttle may be a matter of personal style and depend on the tractor and what is being done. There may not be a 'best' or 'safest' way, but I prefer the foot throttle except for PTO work. I just made another 10-mile highway trip to work on our camp. It's 10-miles mostly on soft sloping gravel shoulders. Lots of bridges, guard rails and transport traffic. Speed was a steady 12mph (as fast as it goes). I use the foot throttle the whole way even though my arch starts cramping. True, there are occasional washboards that bounce my foot up and down on the throttle. The throttle jostling really doesn’t affect handling of the tractor much. However, sometimes the slope or soft gravel tends to throw the tractor off the shoulder or back onto a traffic lane. Some of the drop-offs are definitely life threatening as would finding yourself in the path of a transport. Those times it seems important to be able to immediately slow down. I think using the foot throttle is best in this situation. All things considered, it wasn't a bad trip. I arrived calmer than last year, probably mostly due to the rear-view mirror I put on. The magnetic rotating flasher I stuck on the canopy didn't hurt either. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login