Go Bottom Go Bottom

Cannot Attach 430 Hydraulic Hoses

View my Photos
Steve in CT
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-07-15          30099

Tried attaching my 430 loader earlier today - could not engage any of the 4 hydraulic hoses. I cycled the control lever to make sure there was no pressure built up in system but still can't connect the hoses. I've attached/detached the loader many, many times in the past with no problems. I'm assuming the pressure is not being relieved - any ideas what may be going on? TIA

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
dsg
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2001-07-15          30106

Steve, Place a rag over the male end of the hose and hit it with a 2x4x thats approximately 4 or 5 feet long that will relieve the pressure in the hose and you will be able to connect it, the rag is to keep you dry. Repete this to each hose that will not connect. David ....

View my Photos
Steve in CT

2001-07-15          30108

Thanks David - turns out you were right - the problem was on the "male" (loader) end of the hoses (I just assumed it was on the "tractor" side of things...). Anyway, I used a C-Clamp - first time, I didn't think to wrap it with a rag (before I read your post) - amazing how much hydraulic fluid came out (fortunately it cleaned up pretty easily...). Second time around I used the rags - no problems. Guess I didn't do a good job relieving the system pressure before detaching the loader the last time I used it. Lesson learned... Again, thanks for the help. Steve ....

View my Photos
Kenny

2001-07-15          30109

Steve, it is possible that you did relieve pressure properly when you disconnected the loader. If the oil was cold when you disconnected the hoses and then the sun was shining on the hoses, heating them up, the oil expands enough to give you this problem. There is not much you can do to prevent this other than to manually relieve the pressure either the way you did it or to use a wrench and loosen the fittings. Either way , be extremely careful to protect yourself from getting hydraulic fluid injected through your skin. This can be a very serious injury. Also be careful of this if you develop a hydraulic leak in a hose or a steel line.Never use your hand to locate the source of a leak . Use a piece of cardboard to slide along the suspected leak area to find the leak. Most owners manuals contain warnings about this type of potential injury. Kenny

use a ....

View my Photos
Warren

2001-07-16          30146

Steve
I had the same problem on my 430 loader realeaved the preasure on the coupling than got it to work. Got tired of doing that and put a shout off valve on the first line that their is when you face the side of tractor. then i just turn it off mine works fine this way don't even have to shot off tractor off.
Make sure you don't have the tilt all the way back that causes pressure on the hoses i leave mine tilted down a one inch or two.This works for me. I say john deere could do this make everything easier. Maybey if enough customer complain they will do something.I bought the vale from the john deere dealer where i bought it and he did nothing but take my $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

View my Photos
Warren

2001-07-16          30148

Kenny
You might want to read my post ....

View my Photos
Steve in CT

2001-07-16          30149

Thanks everyone for the feedback - have attached/detached/attached the loader with no problems. Shut-off valve Warrent suggested sounds like a good idea. Maybe a project for some rainy afternoon. ....

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2001-07-17          30164

If you have this problem regularly with a particular implement, loaders and backhoes are famous for this problem, there is a much safer (and a lot cleaner) method of relieving the static pressure. Purchase two Tee connectors of the appropriate size for each of the line sets involved, along with two VERY short hoses or threaded pipe (not as easy) and one high pressure shut off (1/4 turn ball type work best) valve. Basically what you want to do is put a hydraulic "short-circuit" in each hyraulic circuit (ie, bucket curl, loader up/down, etc.)right beside the quick-disconnect fitting. The reason is so that when it comes time to connect the lines all you have to do is give each valve a quick turn, thereby releasing all static pressure back into the opposite side of the otherwise open circuit, and allowing the lines to easily mate to the tractor. This is basically what you are already doing by cycling the SCV on the tractor with the engine off. Just don't forget to close the valve again. Hydraulic fluid under pressure is nothing to play with, rag or not. Best of luck. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login