Go Bottom Go Bottom

JD 790 Battery Corrosion

View my Photos
Glen Schattner
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-07-08          29888

I have noticed a large amount of corrosion on my battery cables..on my 790.....I was looking back in the previous posts about this very same problem.......but I don't think there was ever an answer.....is this a warranty problem...or are we stuck with this ourselves.....??????And has anyone ever determined just what the problem is..??? is it a cable problem or battery problem?????Anyone???

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

JD 790 Battery Corrosion

View my Photos
kay

2001-07-08          29890

I always looked at this as a maintenance problem. I try to keep the battery post clean. A trick I use is to lay a penny on the battery between the two posts, and a lot of this buildup will not occur. In the old days, it was easy to push the penny into the soft battery top, but nowadays, just lay it there and hope it doesn't jiggle off. As time goes by, the penny will begin to disappear. ....

JD 790 Battery Corrosion

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2001-07-08          29891

We had some discussion last week on another battery problem, see "won't start" 7-5-01. I cleaned the battery terminals on my 955 the other day. I had buried the tractor a while back in soft mud. I was filling in trenches that had filled with water.
Battery acid had leaked out and corroded the battery. I cleaned down the battery with water and baking soda to neutralize the acid after cleaning the terminals.
If your battery has plugs on the top and the battery is very full then the acid can leak out over the top.
If your battery has a bad seal and acid leaks around the posts then corrosion will result.
If the metal in the posts is different than the terminals then corrosion can occur.
Your problem is most likely a leak. Check for acid leakage by wiping baking soda and water from a cloth on the suspect locations. The baking soda will fizz a little if there is acid. Make sure that you do not get the baking soda down the lids.
If you have been on the level with your 790 then the problems is likely a bad seals on the battery. As these are epoxy potting during construction (automation) it is easy to have a bad seal at the post.
Also check the polypropylene case for cracks and at the top weld line.
Peters ....

JD 790 Battery Corrosion

View my Photos
Jeff

2001-07-09          29906

I have a JD790 that also had battery corrosion problems. The tractor has only 25 hours and the battery and battery compartment was very corroded. The battery was leaking acid from the top filler holes. I have experience in high performance cars and had similar problems. We fixed the problem by replacing the battery with a gell cell battery from optima. These battery's can be mounted upside down with no chance for fluid or vapor leakage. Since I have replaced the battery in the tractor, I have had absolutley no corrosion problems. Not even the slightest hint of corrosion. ....

JD 790 Battery Corrosion

View my Photos
Tom Smith

2001-07-09          29908

My rantings on batteries: I just replaced the original leaking JD battery in my 790 with a NAPA gel cell. My John Deere dealer replaced both cables, the badly corroded battery tray and some misc. hardware that had also corroded pretty badly. When I went in with the problem, the tractor was one month shy of two years old and still under warrenty. The rep at the dealer said he hadn't read any service reports on batteries leaking but would call JD. I checked with him a few days later and he said Deere would replace any effected part. And he did, no questions asked. Real good folks. The battery however was prorated. The gel cell was $125, 84 month battery, about the same size as the group 45 battery that was in there. I also stuck those red and green coated felt washers on the posts. After I put the new one in I checked charging voltage at 1800 rpm. It's about 13 volts. I'm told gel cells don't like to be charged over 14.4 volts.
It's hard to tell where the original battery leaked. Lots of electrolyte on the top around the caps and down the sides. Don't think it was cracked or anything as severe as that. The dealer speculated it may have been overfilled when they prep'd it. ....

JD 790 Battery Corrosion

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2001-07-09          29925

The gel batteries are valve regulated lead acid batteries. There are three main types, rolled batteries with glass mat separators, flat plate batteries with the glass matts and gel batteries. The gel batteries are slightly better at deep discharge than the others. I would recommend either the rolled or the flat plate as I tend to bump around and the these batteries have greater pressures on the plates. All should perform better than a regular battery in this application. One of the best features is the low self discharge rate.
Dr. Battery ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login