Go Bottom Go Bottom

Just bought a 855 good deal

View my Photos
Todd Reid
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-05-25          28571

Just got an older 855 with 70 loader, 6 ft belly mower. Paint is peeling and has 2000 hours but I got it for 9k. Sound like a decent deal? It runs great, mower deck and loader function fine, with two exceptions. I hope these aren't "Gotchas". On the mower deck, it wont go all the way down even when the hitch arms do, is there a lockout pin someplace?????PTO engage level wont stay engaged, is there a solenoid that trips???? It looks like, just not sure.I appreciate your help.ThanksTodd

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2001-05-27          28641

I hope you do not have any problems with the tractor. I had a Deere mechanic tell me not to expect much more than 2000 hrs from the Yanmar engine before rebuild. I paid 11.5K for a 70A loader and 955 with 300 hrs this spring.
The highth adjustment on the deck is the large plastic wheel in the center of the transmission tunnel. I may be set to high or need repair.
There is a switch in the PTO connected to the seat. You move your butt from the seat and the PTO will cut out. The older 750 I had would not allow the tractor to start with out you in the seat. This electronics naturally be comes corrupted over time and caused me to search for the same fault a number of times. The periodicity corresponding to my memory loss. I have a great memory!! It just isn't very long!!
Hope this helps.

View my Photos
Roger L.

2001-05-27          28644

I'm not sure that we have enough information together to know just how long that compact diesel engines last. They've only been around in popular versions for about 20 years, and the oldest of those seem to have between 2000 and 4000 hours on them now. 20 years ago we used to say that our guess was that they would go 6000 to 8000 hours. Now we just don't know. We see some broken engines, but few that are worn out. Anyone have any ideas? ....

View my Photos
Todd Reid

2001-05-27          28650

Good point, but does anyone have any idea of the cost of a rebuild, worst case scenario?

Mine starts fine, doesn't smoke, no noises. I've dealt with Detroits a bit and can't notice any problems. I plan to do a service on it tomorrow. Wish me luck

Thanks

Todd ....

View my Photos
Roger L.

2001-05-27          28653

Todd, I wrote a huge long reply...and then decided that it all boiled down to one long paragraph. ...It will probably still be too long, but here goes:

A well broken in diesel engine ages in a long and graceful arc. Yours has decades to go. At 2000 hours there are some maintenance things to do: you should inspect it for filters oil, and especially replace hoses, belts, and rubber parts. Inspect the valve lash...but if it is within +- a couple thousandths, I just leave it where it is comfortable. Some people remove and clean the soot out of the muffler and pipe. Apparently it makes a difference, though I haven't done this in 40 years. You should clean out the fuel tank completely. Drain it and swab it. No shortcuts there. You may want to exchange idiot lights for real gauges and keep an eye on temperature - or you may want to flush the radiator. Do this yourself using a garden hose and half strength Prestone liquid for 10 minutes. More diesels die from overheating than from age... which is a real pity. Spray the radiator from behind and clean the fins with soap and a paint brush. A can of diesel injector cleaner with every few tanks of new clean and double-filtered diesel fuel will help it a lot. I use B&G, but others are good too. Install a good block heater for the water and use it religiously in cold weather. Put a nice fresh battery in there and learn to use the decompression lever to prelube the engine before starting it.
You don't have to do those things all at once, but it would be nice to do it over the summer. If your diesel is running nice now, then the things above will keep it running just that way for longer than you care to keep it around. I have no idea what a normal rebuild would cost, and wish you would stop talking like that. BTW, Yanmar is one of the biggest diesel engine manufacturers in the world. They make engines for everything from tiny diesel utility engines to ships the size of super tankers . They don't need to take a backseat to anyone in engine quality. If you muck about inside of a couple of their engines you can see for yourself.

View my Photos
Todd Reid

2001-05-27          28655

Roger,

Thank you for all that information. The first response just had me a little worried, I also think that Diesels will last as long as you treat them right.

That was a very informative and helpful email, a rare thing.

Thanks

Todd ....

View my Photos
Mark E. Lamprey

2001-05-28          28666

Todd, I have to side with Roger on this one. Although my knowledge of diesels is limited, I do know that with common sense and routine maintenance diesel engines will out live and out perform all others. I just recently bought a 1988 JD 950 T/L/B with 2010 hours on it and it seems to be as strong, smooth and as tight as the day it was made. Good luck & Happy tractoring. Mark ....

View my Photos
Don M

2001-05-28          28668

Todd, if the two problems turn out to be minor bugs then I think you got a good deal. I paid 9500 for a much younger 755 with FEL, rear mower, and pretty worn tiller. And I know that was a great deal. The extra HP of the 855 would be nice, it would be the ideal tractor for my situation. You guys were starting to worry me about the 2,000 hour mark, but there are posts here I believe that say that the same basic engine routinely goes 10,000 hours in refrigeration truck trailer applications. A little different service but still a good sign. I see that in the current lineup JD has gone to lower revving motors, and I imagine they will see longer service lives as a result. Roger, does the block heater result in less cylinder wear on cold weather startups, or what?
-Don M ....

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2001-05-28          28670

Todd;
I'm sorry if I worried you. There is no telling how long the 855 engine will last before it needs a rebuild. Yanmar makes good engines but they are not like the 40 year old ones.
The Yanmar on my 750 turned up to 2500 RPM the power band was at 1800 RPM and the one on my 955 turns up to 3500 RPM and the power band is near 2500 RPM. In contrast the Perkin Diesel in my MF 65 1963 turns to 1500 RPM an the power band is as low as 800 RPM. The PTO HP on the Yanmar is 28 HP, the Perkins is 50 the engine and tractor is more than double the weight. Piston speeds on the Perkins are less than 1/2. Power to weight on the Yanmar is probably double.
What I gave you was advice from a large green dealer in Indiana when I was looking at new and used tractors. What I am trying to explain to you now is why. Most wear on a diesel engine or any engine for that matter is from starting and stopping it. The older farm tractors often had the tractors started in the morning and shut off at night. You will notice that the road trucks often keep the diesel running unless they are stopping for a long time. These engines are capable of some 1,000,000 miles or ~ 20,000 hours between rebuilds. The older farm tractors ran between 4000 and 5000 hrs on average.
The my Cummings diesel in my pickup will gets up to 10,000 hrs but normally only ~ 6000.
Why the short lives out of the small compact diesels, piston vs cylinder wall speeds and stop - start frequency during life. I seldom run my compact for more than 1 hr while the large tractor I normally run for at least 3 hrs.
The way the tractor was maintained and is maintain from this point on will increase or decrease you problems. The engine is not that difficult to get rebuilt and not that expensive if you find someone with the experience and know how. I would not necessarily go to the dealer if needed but find a good diesel mechanic. The hydro transmission on the other hand probably needs the dealer if something goes wrong and will probably cost you more to have rebuilt. You need to change the oil and filters in this. The colour, finds and filter condition may provide you with what to expect.

View my Photos
Rob Munach

2001-05-28          28675

The average modern automobile engine will go 200,000 miles or more and at an average speed of 50mph - this is 4000 hours. This includes 4 cylinder engines which probably have much higher piston speeds than a typical compact diesel engine. A Briggs and Stratton will go at least 1000 hours. I would think that if a Yanmar only went 2000 hours then Yanmar would not still be in business. I would guess most compact diesel engines are good for at least 5000 hours - your milage may vary:> ....

View my Photos
Todd Reid

2001-05-28          28685

Thanks guys, feel better already. I had her pretty well dismantled this weekend, as far as the tin goes. I took all panels off, degreased the entire rig, blasted the tin, primed and repainted. Only the fenders left to paint. Whew, that's a busy weekend.

Take care,
Todd ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login