JD 48 Backhoe Complaint: John Deere Review  -- John Deere Tractors Discussion Forum and Review JD 48 Backhoe Complaint: John Deere Review -- John Deere Tractors Discussion Forum

parts   |   manuals   |   discussion   |   photos   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   contact   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index
New As Posted | Active Subjects

www.emerichsales.com - New & Used Equipment
          View Tractors For Sale!

www.partsbynet.com - Lawn and Garden Equipment Parts

Bernardsville Landscape Lighting
Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > John Deere Review Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 05-13-2001, 21:41 Post: 28127
Peter Hoyt

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 JD 48 Backhoe Complaint

Hello. I've had my new 4300 for only 3 weeks now. Yesterday I bought a landscape rake. So this morning I got the bright idea to remove my "quick detach" 48 backhoe... Well, it isn't so "quick"! It took me 30 minutes of work to disconnect hydraulics. Maybe know I know why the salesman didn't complete the demonstration on how to completely remove the backhoe. I would have seen this problem right then. I'd like to hear from other 48 owners... do you have a problem removing the female connector from the backhoe side of the return line? On my rig, the metal line is angled just enough to prevent it from coming back far enough to be easy to release. Seems to me that there is enough hose there so that a simple 45 degree fitting would fix the problem. In fact, when I call the dealer tomorrow I'm going to ask if that can be done... the present situation just isn't going to work... I also found that when my salesman was demonstrating the first part of the removal process, he really screwed up my return line hose. As I remember it, he had it pinched at one point during the "demo". The plastic covering is torn and the braided inner line is visible... that doesn't make me feel very good at all! I'm going back to bitch about that and ask for a replacement before it breaks. Anyone have the same problem with the hydraulic lines on a new 48 backhoe? Thanks for your input.

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us | Technorati | Furl | Stumble This

05-13-2001, 23:18 Post: 28132
Chris in IN

Filter by User
 JD 48 Backhoe Complaint

Peter

I have a 4400 with the 48 backhoe. I have trouble with the male line on the hoe, I have never had a problem with the the female line. I can get mine off in less than five minutes. Where are you positioned when you are unhooking the hoses? I have found that the best position for me is to kneel in the tractor seat. On my tractor the female connector on the tractor is on the right pointing straight back. The male connector is on the left, it angles to the left. It is above the backhoe frame.

05-14-2001, 06:22 Post: 28137
Peter Hoyt

Filter by User
 JD 48 Backhoe Complaint

Chris, based on what you just described, I reversed the names of the lines in my mind. My rig is parked 100 miles from here... I also found that the only way to remove the female line (that had to move to the rear of the tractor) is to do it kneeling on the driver's seat. So that means it was the male line is the one that projects at about a 45 degree angle (to the engine crankshaft) towards the left side of the tractor. To remove that line, the only way I could do it was to stand on the ground on the left side of the tractor and give it my all to pull back the disconnect collar and try to pull the connection a hair to towards the rear while pulling on the connection. Not easy at all and it took me several busted knuckles and a good 30 minutes to get it off. I had the same problem getting the connection back on later in the afternoon.

I am beginning to wonder if the salesmand didn't cause the connection to bend a bit when he pinched the line. Laying in bed I was trying to figure out how he could do that and I'm not sure. But I remember him sitting the backhoe down after raising it with the out-riggers and the boom. Now that I've owned the tractor and gone thru the manual in detail, I know that he never should have done it that way. I sure hope the dealer doesn't try to blame me for this and refuse to help out. I'll know more this evening after work when I drive up there and talk with them. I will post the results. And if this is not a design issue, I'll be sure to say so. Thanks.

05-14-2001, 07:09 Post: 28139
MJB

Filter by User
 JD 48 Backhoe Complaint

I have had my JD48 hoe for about 3 weeks now and have put it on and off at least 10 times. I have got to say I love that backhoe. It never takes me more than 5 minutes to connect or disconnect the hoe. Be sure that the tractor is shut off and move the control valves for the 3ph and backhoe controls around to relieve the hydraulic pressure before connecting or disconnecting the hoses. I find that the hose with the female connector on the tractor is the more difficult one to connect because of the cramped location. The hose that points to the side of the tractor on an angle always goes on and off easily for me. Hope this helps.

05-14-2001, 09:36 Post: 28150
JeffM

Filter by User
 JD 48 Backhoe Complaint

Pete, my experiences with the 48 backhoe are the same as MJB and Chris. The first time to remove and install took me longer because I wanted to make sure I was doing everything right. The return hose (female from backhoe, male on tractor) is always easy to disconnect and easy to access, but this sounds like the one you're having trouble with. On my 4400 it looks just like the picture at the top of page 8 of the backhoe manual. As Chris stated the pressure line can be a little tougher because it is cramped in there, but it has never taken me more than 15-20 seconds to rotate it to where I could release it or install it with my fat hands. A couple things about your post sound funny. It sounds like you may still have pressure in your lines for one thing. Like MJB said, make sure you cycle the boom control after the tractor is shut off to relieve any pressure. I'm also confused by your comments that the dealer used the stabilizers and boom to get the hoe into position (???) because this setup uses the rockshaft arms to raise and lower the how while mounting. I do remember my dealer saying there are two ways to run the hydraulics for the 48 off the power-beyond, and he said they set mine up the way he thought was easier, but I can't remember what the other way was. If the dealer damaged a hose to the extent you describe I would definitely get it replaced. If they give you a hassle, I would consider going to a different dealer who might know more about how to remove and install a 48.

05-14-2001, 09:42 Post: 28151
JeffM

Filter by User
 JD 48 Backhoe Complaint

The only difficulty I've had attaching my 48 hoe is that the last time it seemed that the rockshaft would not lift the hoe quite high enough to install the L-pins. I had to put a small shim (actually 1" copper pipe) over the rockshaft pins to lift the hoe high enough. I'm going to try to adjust the metal plates near the backhoe hooks to see if I can get the 1/16" I need. Anybody else ever experience this or have any suggestions?

05-14-2001, 09:47 Post: 28153
JeffM

Filter by User
 JD 48 Backhoe Complaint

The "metal plates near the backhoe hooks" are called the "movable latch plates" in the manual.

05-14-2001, 11:02 Post: 28158
MJB

Filter by User
 JD 48 Backhoe Complaint

JeffM: I did have the same issue with the rockshaft not lifting the hoe quite high enough to align the holes for the L-pins. I adjusted the plates you referred to such that when the 3ph is in the full up position the holes line up perfectly to allow the L-pins to just slip in. Works great. I also found it easier on my machine (4300 with R-4s) to slip the L-pins through from the inside to the outside and snap the lock pins on the outside of the frame. Hope this helps.

05-14-2001, 12:23 Post: 28161
JeffM

Filter by User
 JD 48 Backhoe Complaint

MJB, thanks for sharing your solution to lifting the 48 hoe high enough. After I posted that I looked in the manual and it said if the rockshaft arms aren't lifting the hoe high enough you should have the dealer adjust the rockshaft lift limit or something like that. However, this is such a small amount of adjustment needed that I'm going to try with the movable latch plates first. I have turf tires and don't have a problem with clearance for the L-pins, but I'll check to see if inside-out works better. Thanks again.

05-14-2001, 21:34 Post: 28182
Chris in IN

Filter by User
 JD 48 Backhoe Complaint

Peter are you shutting off the engine before you disconnect the lines. It sounds like you have pressure in the lines or a damaged connector.

I also had trouble getting the hoe raised high enough the last time to get the pins in. I just pulled the 3pt lever back till it hit the stop & it raised high enough. I could hear the relief valve open so I pushed the handle foward enough to close it.

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > John Deere Review Forum

Thread 28127 Filter by Poster:
Chris in IN 2 | Greg franklin 1 | JeffM 8 | MJB 2 | Peter Hoyt 4 | TomG 3 |

Most Viewed

+ John Deere 2210 Backhoe Review
+ John Deere vs Kubota Compact Tractors
+ John Deere 790 fuel shut-off solenoid failing???
+ John Deere low viscosity HY GARD
+ John Deere JD 4100 Wiring diagram
+ JD 790 or Kubota L3000DT
+ Should I buy a John Deere 4105???
+ John Deere 4300 turns over but won't start
+ John Deere 455 garden tractor
+ Oil Change for Diesel Tractor

Most Discussion

+ John Deere 4300 scuffing......
+ Possible Solution To The 4000
+ Dealer out to lunch
+ Just got my new JD 4410 - Prob