Go Bottom Go Bottom

rockshaft not moving

View my Photos
kelly
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-04-12          26636

Recently took off my backhoe and FEL for the 1st time and installed the deck. the rockshaft won't move from either the scv or rockshaft slide. I just bought this tractor and hope it is something I'm just missing.Also where can i get a good service manual?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

rockshaft not moving

View my Photos
Jim Reichard

2001-04-13          26650

HI Kelly , You didn't mention what model tractor you had. On my J D 790 when I take off the #7 backhoe there is a arm that you can forget to remove that attaches the rocker shaft to the frame. If that arm is still attached your rocker shaft won't move. I hope this helps!

JIM ....

rockshaft not moving

View my Photos
kelly

2001-04-14          26688

sorry about that. i have a 1997 855. i did remove that bar on the 3ph. any other ideas? and i went ahead and ordered the jd service manual. should be here wednesday. ....

rockshaft not moving

View my Photos
TomG

2001-04-14          26691

I take 'rockshaft' to mean the shaft the lower link arms go on. I don't know if the arms have to be removed when the hoe is mounted, and if so whether you replaced the arms. There may be index marks to indicate which splines the on the shaft the arms go onto. I guess if the backhoe has been always mounted, you may never have used the 3ph. I'd check to see that the flow control valve is open. If there's a loader, I'd also check to make sure that all control valves are centred. If the hitch is up and won't lower, the flow control valve is a good guess. If the lift won't raise, the loader valves are a good guess. I don't know the hoe. However, if it's a 3ph type, all mounts have some way of locking the hitch for safety reasons. Some sub-frame mounts also may lock the hitch. If the hitch is locked down or the flow control valve is closed, the pressure relief valve should open and squeal when trying to raise the 3ph. It's good to recognize the sound of a relief valve, because prolonged operation with the relief valve open isn't good for the tractor. ....

rockshaft not moving

View my Photos
Jim Reichard

2001-04-14          26695

I just remembered that there is a valve right dirrectly under your seat it has a handle on it and the handle faces the front of the tractor. it should be opened up all the way if this valve is closed your hitch will not lower or raise its a shutoff valve to the rocker shaft for safty .if you are woking on an impliment and have to crawl under you close this valve to keep it from coming down. If this valve is screwed in there kinda tight to unscrew. Give this a try!

JIM ....

rockshaft not moving

View my Photos
TomG

2001-04-15          26724

That sounds like the flow control valve. That sure could be the problem if the valve is closed. I'm actually commenting at the risk of becoming tagged as the safety police. Use of the valve as described should add to safety, but no guarantees. I'd use blocks as well, or better yet, arrange work so that crawling under things isn't required. Let me provide a scenario. An implement on a 3ph is off the ground. The flow control valve is shut, but the lift lever gets bumped into a lower position. Most flow control valves are going to leak down slowly. The implement is barely high enough to crawl under, and it's too much trouble to start the tractor to raise it further. A person crawls underneath but the work is distracting and takes longer than expected. The implement leaks down, and the person suddenly realizes that they’re pinned. There's nobody else around, and then there's a long time to think about the implement getting heavier. Granted, a small chance of that happening, but it probably has happened before. Anyway, I believe that's the way to think about things to remain a healthy intact tractor owner and operator. Safety police is not exactly an appealing role--lousy job but somebody's got to do it. Really bizarre and tragic tractor accidents do happen all the time. A guy commented that he was standing beside his tractor which had a loaded bucket raised high. A hose ruptured, and the bucket crashed down. He could have been walking underneath the bucket. Best to develop an awareness of what’s overhead, what your fingers are between and what might come down on your toes. Cripes! Enough policing for one day. Hope it helps though. ....

rockshaft not moving

View my Photos
Halsey Green

2001-04-18          26843

Here is another suggestion - When I put the rear hydraulic outlets on my JD790, the 3 point didn't work, got concerned that something had got into the system. Then remembered that air compresses, upped the rpm to around 2000, worked the 3 point, to my surprised, it functioned. I guess I had a large air bubble. Same thing could be happening when you disconnected the hoe. ....

rockshaft not moving

View my Photos
JeffM

2001-04-18          26899

Kelly, any progress on this problem? I'm curious. ....

rockshaft not moving

View my Photos
TomG

2001-04-19          26909

Yes, I'm curious too. I'm making an assumption that the hydraulic pump is OK, because everything was working before the hoe and loader were removed. Otherwise, a pressure test might be run. Air in the system usually clears, but I have had some strange hiccups that were cleared by juggling all the control valves. Sometimes you hear about old farm tractors that have sat awhile and the pump lost its prime. I don’t know if that happens to modern compacts, but it doesn’t seem a likely problem anyway. As I think back, I realize that I never wondered what 'removing the loader' means. I suppose that the loader frame must be removed to accommodate the mower. I guess that would leave the loader SCV still mounted, with the loader cylinder hoses removed at the quick connects and the inlet and outlet hoses connected. I don't know how the hoe was powered, but I do recall a description of a JD rear outlet adapter. I believe the kit contains a hose that must be connected across the rear hoses when a rear hydraulic implement is removed. The hose restores the oil return path to the sump. If such a hose wasn't replaced, the 3ph wouldn't work, but the relief valve should open when the tractor is run. If this condition exists (an open relief valve squeals), the pump could be damaged from prolonged operation. I run my hoe from a control valve that feeds my rear hydraulic circuit. I bungee the valve open when I run the hoe. When my 3ph doesn't lift, it's because I forgot to take off the bungee. Another idea might get the system working. If the tractor has a hydraulic manifold/diverter valve block, the diverter could be put in 'remote' position. It's probably in 'auxiliary' position to power the loader and rear hydraulics. Running the valve in 'remote' would eliminate any problem in the auxiliary system. If no auxiliary system device is needed, the tractor should run just fine on the remote system. ....

rockshaft not moving

View my Photos
kelly

2001-04-19          26949

the hose on the back from the outlet to the inlet had to be hooked up to complete the hydraulic path. i've got a lot to learn. still waiting on those manuals too.
john deere is very proud of their manuals($). i hope i am as impressed ....

rockshaft not moving

View my Photos
JeffM

2001-04-19          26951

Kelly, glad it worked out for you. And don't feel bad, there is a lot to learn with these machines. It's nice to have this board to get help from those who have been there, done that. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login