Go Bottom Go Bottom

JD 855 hydro pump quot whining quot

View my Photos
Mark Berryman
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-03-10          25337

I recently purchased a JD 855. The hydraulic system makes a rather loud, high-pitched squelling noise. Is this normal? Any feedback would sure be appreciated.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2001-03-10          25341

Mark, it's tough to describe sounds with the printed word. The hydros do have a peculiar whine to them. As to whether yours is normal or excessive, I have no idea without hearing it. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2001-03-11          25347

I wonder if the sound is related to the HST or to the rest of the hydraulic system? The PS will make sort of a high whine when steering. The system pressure relief valve also makes a high whine—valve or screech. To identify the system relief sound, curl the loader bucket all the way back and hold the valve for a second. The system relief valve should operate, and the sound is normal. If no change in sound is heard, then pose another question, because something may not be working quite right. A locked-down or over-loaded 3ph also can open the relief valve, but a properly adjusted 3ph will not open the valve even with the hitch fully raised. It's good to recognize the relief valve sound, because prolonged operation with the valve open will over-heat the hydraulic oil. ....

View my Photos
Ted Kennedy

2001-03-12          25394

Mark, I'll add to Bird and Tom's good advice and say that if the sound you hear is from the pressure relief system, and it is all of the time, then you have a serious safety issue as well. The next step is to determine which relief valve is at fault. Some machines have a relief valve integral to their loader control valve, and often as not, another can be found mounted to the frame of the loader itself. If you have a backhoe or other hydraulically operated attachment, then it probably has a relief valve also. All pressure relief valves in your hydraulic system must be adjusted and operating per your maker's specifications, just one being off or inoperable will cause problems throughout the system and you'll always hear the screeching noise. If they aren't right, and you try to lift a load or operate an attachment, the cylinders will drop pressure and you'll have to contend with the outcome of that failure. The test is simple, have your dealer connect his pressure test set and run Deere's test sequence. Relief valve replacements usually run anywhere from $35.00 to $75.00, if it is just an adjustment, then its the cost of labor. If the noise is a constant whine, but alternating in tone, it may be the normal sound of your hydrostatic drive-something we've all learned to live with. At any rate, you owe it to yourself to be sure you don't have a safety issue. Good luck. ....

View my Photos
Doug L

2001-03-12          25395

Mark, I have a 1987 855 that I purchased about two years ago with 900hrs. My one concern when I looked at the machine was the fairly loud whine coming from the implement pump (rear of tractor above PTO). Since the tractor was in such good shape otherwise I put down a deposit on it anyways. After leaving a deposit I went to a local dealer to talk to a mechanic. He asured me that there was no inherent problem with the pumps on the 55 series, and if it needed one it was only about $200. I also started a used 1997 955 23hrs that they had on the lot, it also had the whine though quite a bit less noticable. Well after two years and 150hrs. I still have the whine and have never had a hydraulic problem, everthing works great. This leads me to believe that it's just a sign of wear. Someday I'll replace the pump but till then I'll ignore the whine. As a good practice I wear earmuffs when using the tractor anyways. ....

View my Photos
gwalljr

2001-05-02          27642

Mark, I just bought a 86 855 with the same whine. Prior to purchasing it i called the local John Deere Dealership & talked with the Mechanic, he assured me that the "whine" was typical of the hydrostatic trans., some more so than others. After I bought the tractor I had to replaced the PTO seal. I put in new hydraulic fluid, a product that meets or exceed JD specs. the stuff I took out was red like tranny fluid. the stuff I put in was kinda yellow-clear,natural color. there is still a little whine, but it don't seem to be as loud as it was.The oil I put back in is made by "Coastal" purchased from Autozone. You get used to the "whine" kinda like the kids loud music. As far as the noise from the relief valve it sounds like a screech. This is normal but should not be present unless the hydraulics are overburdened. This you should try to refrain from causing to occur especailly for an extended period of time. One thing I can say is that the hydrostatic trans is great regardless of the "whine". ....

View my Photos
pw2057

2015-09-22          193760

I would STRONGLY recommend ONLY using John Deere's Hydraulic fluid; its called Hy-gard. Hydraulic fluid is one thing you definitely don't want to cut cost saving corners on, regardless of the make of the tractor. My family farms about 2,000 acres of corn and soybeans. We have both John Deere and Case IH tractors. My Dad learned this lesson the hard way many years ago. He thought he could save some money and use a generic brand of hydraulic fluid. It foamed up and caused a huge mess. The entire system had to be flushed. I have also heard of other situations where generic fluids, because they lack certain properties, damaging equipment. The viscosity and other elements of a generic fluid could be different than that of the manufacturer's brand. To each thir own, but I would not risk using anything but the fluids sold both manufacturer. For a few extra dollars, you may save yourself a LOT of problems and headaches down the road. ....

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2015-09-22          193762

pw glad to have you here. Just FYI the date a message is posted in the solid line on the left end above the post. Like yours reads 09-22-2015 for Sept 22. The one above was in 2001 I think.

Your post has some good points and at good timing for me. Have major contamination in a cutter's tank I was restoring. kt ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login