Go Bottom Go Bottom

JD790 vs JD4100

View my Photos
Craig Smith
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-02-27          24787

I am so frusrated! I need a small tractor to do some heavy land clearing on a 2 1/2 acre lot, the soil is partly muddy, 1/3 woods. I need to create more of a slope for better drainage. When done, I intend for the wife to have her "garden" on 1/3 third, and lawn on 1/2, and the rest woods. I am torn between the JD790 (a well proven total yanmar produst) and a JD4100 (a mostly Yanmar/new product). The price of the 4100 w/HST and loader is about the same as the JD790 with loader. Both new around 14,000. I am almost 50, and since This will be probably the only tractor I buy, I would like it to be the right one. Also, the sales tax is 6% so I don't want to do it twice! What do you think?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

JD790 vs JD4100

View my Photos
Kenny

2001-02-27          24794

Personally, I think you get more bang for your buck with the 790. If you don't mind the gear drive transmission, the 790 is the way to go. You get a heavier tractor which would be an advantage with the "heavy land clearing" that you mentioned. However, if hydro is important to you, the 4100 is a good machine also. It might be preferable if you plan to do mostly mowing after your land clearing is done. ....

JD790 vs JD4100

View my Photos
Roger L.

2001-02-27          24795

Hmm....both very nice tractors. Do you ever plan to put a small backhoe on one? That might make a difference. Other than that, there are some important things about tractors that hardly ever get discussed. Here is how to test them:
Take both tractors out in the parking lot and drive them around fairly slowly on some bumpy ground. Stop about every 20 feet and get off the tractor, walk around it and get back on. Do this dozens of times for each tractor and you won't have to decide, your body will tell you which one that you want.
When you get your tractor, you won't believe how often you get on and off of the darn thing. Ease of doing so quickly becomes one of the most important things about the machine. The quality of the ride over ruts and bumps shares second place with ease of shifting from forward to reverse. To me it doen't matter if the tractor goes from forward to reverse via a syncro shifting manual tranny, a shuttle shift of some sort, or a HST....you just need some expedient way to change directions. Changing speeds while going in the same direction is nice if you have it..but an easy forward to reverse shift is more important. ....

JD790 vs JD4100

View my Photos
Larry in MI.

2001-02-27          24798

Craig, I went through the same decision process a while back. It is not an easy decision. If the 790 was available in a hydro model it would have been a simple choice. Unfortunately the 790 is not available with a hydrostatic transmission. The other factors I considered was the standard mid pto and mfwd on the 4100. The independent pto's was another important feature for me (I'm just not that coordinated with clutches and tillers at the same time). I think the mid pto and MFWD are options on the 790. The 790 is a lot more tractor for the money h.p. wise, but when you consider the options and what the 4100 can do, I decided on the 4100. You may also want to consider Newholland and Kubota. My hat is off to the people that can operate a clutch and front end loader with precision. I just can't seem to do that. The hydrostatic drive was very important to me. This is not much of an answer but maybe a little insight. In any event I hope it was helpful. ....

Link:   

Click Here

JD790 vs JD4100

View my Photos
Craig Dashner

2001-02-28          24801

I have the 4100 w/ gear trans. Believe me, you won't go wrong either way. The 790 will give you more bang for the buck and do the work in a shorter time. As far as reliability, I don't think there will be much difference between the two. I think either of them, properly maintained, will last as long as you need it. If the gear vs hydro has you thinking, drive one. I did and was suprised at how easy the gear shifts. They will both do the same work, the 790 will just do it a little bit faster. ....

JD790 vs JD4100

View my Photos
Craig Smith

2001-02-28          24806

Thankyou so far for the few responses. FYI - the 790 does not have the hydrostatic transmission (not an option - too bad). THe hydro vs the power is probably my main concern (wife and kid may want to use it - although the wife is quite hardy), although on the ease of cockpit entry/exit is also. I noticed that the 4100 seems roomier, and the 790 is mainly entered on the left side; while the 4100 seems to be able to get on from eother side (if I remember right). I'll have to check it out again. One other thing - the 4100 looks like it has reduction gears on the rear wheel assemblies. The 790 has the normal straight rear axle - bolts right to the wheels. This concerns me with two things: 1-Something else to break/service, and 2-If the rear wheels go down into mud, something else to "drag". THe front axle clearance on the 4100 is about 13", and the 4100 is about 14". I couldn't find the specs of the rear axle clearances.
Oh yeah - I am considering looking at Kubota, but my area is mostly flooded with John Deere. I don't even know which models are comparable. If you know, please respond, so I can do a price/aestetics comparison.
Keep 'em coming---

JD790 vs JD4100

View my Photos
TomG

2001-02-28          24808

I always figured that the best tractor for a person is one that well suited to do what needs to be done over 20 or more years. I think many people start thinking about getting a tractor because of some big project that actually is a one-time job. The two ideas often don't match up very well. A good tractor for the long haul may be too small get the big project done in an acceptable time, and a tractor for the big work may be unwieldy for most jobs and also will remain unwieldy for 20+ years. My compromise was to go for the middle sized jobs. I got a used 24HP gear tractor. It gets the moderate sized jobs done well. However, I mow an acre, more or less, at each of two places, and I use a riding mower. The tractor would take too long to maneuver around landscaping, and the weight isn't real good for the lawn. I also recognize that large projects would take forever and might be risky for the tractor or me. The larger jobs go to the dozer guy. I figure that the money I save on middle-sized jobs I do with the tractor pays for the riding mower, and the time saved by the dozer guy is added to my life. Tractors are fun, but I don't want to spend all my time on one. I guess I'd start out getting a good idea of the initial projects. My opinion is that many jobs like clearing woods and re-grading sizable plots is best done with a dozer. The project could require removing quite a few stumps and moving a lot of dirt around. Compact tractors don't do either of these things very well, or at least very fast. Could be that neither tractor is a very good choice for the initial work. If true, then the bullet could be bitten. The dozer guy could come in and make short work of it, and plenty of smaller finish work would be left for a tractor. If that idea works, then, you could decide which tractor to get on the basis of factors that might be more useful to you over the long haul. ....

JD790 vs JD4100

View my Photos
Jim Reichard

2001-02-28          24809

Hi Craig, I also had a hard time deciding. I finally went with the 790 and have been glade with my choice! I have like you some land to clear and so far I have had no problems.I have had smaller and bigger tractor over the years and one thing you find out about clearing land is you need a tractor with lots of weight and horsepower. I was amazed with the front end loader ,I had a stump about 18" dia from a toppeled tree that was my first victum. I worked my way under it and pulled it from the ground without breaking a sweat.I personaly don't mind shifting gears and the 790 shifts easy. You can also call 1-800-654-0611 and get a JOHN DEERE video free that compares all the market of compact tractors. Tell them you read about it in some magazine and they will send it right out to you!also shop around I saved $4000.00 + by buying my 790 through an Industrial dealer they had more insentives than through the AG dealer and could not even come close to the Industrial pricing.I hope this helps!

JIM ....

JD790 vs JD4100

View my Photos
JonB

2001-03-01          24837

Craig, all prior posts are right on. After test driving gear and HST, I decided a 4100 HST was easier and safer for me. I'll probably never qualify as an expert even though I bought it to last for life. Eliminating gear shifting just made operating less complex for this part-time farmer. I also decided the lighter machine fit my sometimes muddy 2 acres better--I had a rented Bobcat stuck in my mud twice before buying the Deere. I also read, visited dealers, and researched for months. Eventually you decide what fits you best. Best of luck. JonB ....

JD790 vs JD4100

View my Photos
Craig Smith

2001-03-01          24840

Thankyou all for everything - I'm leaning toward the 4100 (with the hydro) for "lifetime", but yesterday I was calling a Kubota dealer to see comparables, and he said he has a used 1995 JD955 with @1000 hours, 4wd, hydrostatic trans, loader, turf tires, for half the price (I think it was $7,900. but need to check again). I could buy a second set of bar tires, and still be way out ahead, then trade it in later on the 4100 if I don't like it. Money is tight. I haven't seen the tractor yet, but would be concerned if it had been a rental; or may have just cut lawns. Hmmmmm... another fly on the ointment. Also wondering why someone traded it in...
By the way, what does a 955 usually go for with the above mentioned items.
Oh yeah - Im located it upstate NY.
Keep 'em coming ....

JD790 vs JD4100

View my Photos
Jack D

2001-03-01          24872

Craig:
The 955 is comparable to the 4400. By the way, I have a 4400 that has been perfect for me -- I have about 8 acres of pasture, and 2 acres of lawn (use a mower for cutting, and tractor for fertilizing, etc.). I've rototilled, fertilized, dug fence post holes, bush-hogged, scraped snow & gravel & dirt with a blade as well as the loader, dug trenches, loaded hay bales, etc. etc. and am very happy with my dealer & tractor. Good luck -- it's fun!!! ....

JD790 vs JD4100

View my Photos
Craig Smith

2001-03-01          24873

Well - I told ya I would check on the price of the JD955 again - seemed too good to be true. The Kubota dealer told me it has 600 hrs (not 1000) on it, and he wants 13,000 for it (not 8,000) - firm. I can't believe I misunderstood him that much! Bait & switch? Does anyone think it's worth it?

Oh well, back to deciding..... ....

JD790 vs JD4100

View my Photos
Todd

2001-03-02          24909

Hey Craig,
The 955 is a nice tractor and 600hrs isn't a lot for one, but I'd see how hard those hours were before I'd seriously consider it. 600hrs mowing isn't the same as 600hrs on a construction site. One thing I noticed on your origional post is you said "heavy land clearing". None of these are heavy tractors, so if you envision yourself pulling up tree stumps in the mud with them, you'll be disapointed. All three are great for maintaining property and can do tons of work, they aren't bulldozers or backhoes. You might get some expert opinion on what is needed to do the jobs you have, and farm out the ones you'll need really heavy equipment for. You'll be maintaining your property longer than you'll be clearing it, and that might influence your choice in tractors. (I'm not saying the work can't be done with a baby tractor, but if it takes me an hour or two to get one stump out with my B2710, it takes my excavator 3 minutes with his Cat 320B with a thumb on it. Ultimately I save money by not destroying my toys.)
Todd ....

JD790 vs JD4100

View my Photos
Craig Smith

2001-03-02          24927

Thankyou for asking my opinion on heavy land clearing. Mostly what I need to do is to drag a lot of logs out of the woods, not really interested on the stumps - they can rot as far as I care. Due do it becoming a bog ( when someone dug a drainage channel, they left an uphill burm - which is on the lower end of my lot) a lot of 3 to 8 inch trees have toppled (about 50) from overwatering. I need to cut holes in the burm, so the moisture goes into the ditch, and drag out the logs. I wish I had a good chimney for a wood stove ;).
Thanks again - still contemplating - probably in a week or two I will fully decide. I am going to find a baby sitter for the kid, and take my wife to the dealer to test drive the 4100 and the 790. I think that;s the best Idea. I hope he has loaders on both models to test. Right now it's snowing, so I don't know if tomorrow is the best time. ....

JD790 vs JD4100

View my Photos
Jack D

2001-03-03          24955

Craig:
I would agree with your decision re: the 4100/790 -- both are good machines, and I would think right for your project. the 955 would be a little big...GOOD LUCK! Our "toys" keep us young!!!

JD790 vs JD4100

View my Photos
Craig Smith

2001-03-03          24979

Hi again - O.K. - well even though we got six inches of snow, we went and looked at the used 955 today. The dealer thinks it a 1993. We test drove it in the lot a little - wife too. She really liked the hyrdro trans. But the tires age turf, and the rears are almost gone. The dealer wouldn't negotiate. he wanted 13K firm. So we went to our friendly nearby dealer, and we test drove the 4100. Smaller and lighter (my only real concern besides h.p.). My wife liked it too - she was going to drive it the 15 miles home. Seriously! "You two settle up - I'll see you at home!". I managed to put it off for a few days; still want to test the 790. I want us to be sure this is the one. I'll keep you informed on the outcome. ....

JD790 vs JD4100

View my Photos
Todd

2001-03-04          25001

Hey Craig,
I'm guessing traction will be more of an issue pulling trees with the 4100 than HP. I've got a Kubota b2710 with turfs, and I always loose traction, never bog down the engine. The bummer with turfs is, I can't add wheel weights. Rims aren't drilled for them. Might get some chains, but don't want to have to take them off to mow the lawn, and I've been told I may not have good clearance for them under the fenders. Not a major issue for me, but sorta wish I'd gone with industrial tires.
Todd ....

JD790 vs JD4100

View my Photos
Craig Smith

2001-03-04          25005

Thanks Todd-
I'm either going to get the 4100 with R4 (industrial) or R1 ( agricultural) tires. That's another dilema. The industrial is a couple hundred more, and would be easier on the lawn, but I have a rising mower already - not too sure how much I will be on the lawn after I do the leveling/rolling. Anybody have any Ideas? ....

JD790 vs JD4100

View my Photos
Craig Smith

2001-03-04          25027

OOPS! - I didn't want anybody to get the impressioon that I was solid on the 4100 yet - I should have said was when I buy either the 4100 or the 790, I have to make this other decision on bar or commercial tires. The ease of the Hydro trans, versus the solid well-proven-cheaper-to-fix gear trans. Of course the comfort, weight, power, hydraulic pump (speed for the loader), etc.

JD790 vs JD4100

View my Photos
Craig Smith

2001-03-08          25192

OK - I decided to make the plunge -
I'm getting the 4100 wst, 410 loader,60" bucket, 450 tiller. before tax 15,351.
One of the main reasons, is the ease of the HST. I'm not as young as I used to be, and I can feel my left knee a little bit. Using the loader w/clutch on the 790 will probably aggravate it over time. I can;t afford a 4200 or above. Just hope the 4100 is strong enough to move the dirt. I figure I'll till it up then come around and scoop it up.

Thank you all for the feedback and info.
I will definatly promote this board when given the opportunity.
Sincerely, Craig Smith

JD790 vs JD4100

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2001-03-08          25195

Craig, that'll work quite well; I've done a lot of it. Run the tiller over the ground to loosen it up, then turn around, scoop it up with the front end loader and put it where you want it. By having it broken up first that way, it spreads better. ....

JD790 vs JD4100

View my Photos
Roger L.

2001-03-08          25197

Craig, I think that combo will have plenty of power to do what you want. Prepare to be amazed! My own inclination would be to order the slightly smaller bucket, but my ground is rocky, tough to dig in, and I often need the ability of the bucket to penetrate rather than the ability to carry a big load (though that would sure be nice!).
Have you considered a tooth bar? There are several small companies that make a clip-on tooth bar for the loader bucket edge. I use it when the going gets real tough. By rotating the bucket so that the teeth penetrate the ground, putting down pressure on the bucket, and then backing up the tractor, I can tear up the ground in a similar fashion to what a tiller will do. Then reverse directions and scoop up the dirt....works pretty well, though not quite as easy as it sounds. ....

JD790 vs JD4100

View my Photos
Sternsher

2001-03-08          25229

I have a 1 year old 4100 Hydro - R4 tires, 410 loader, 413 rotary cutter, 450 rotary tiller, 60" mid-mount mower, and JD weight box for the 3-point. I have about 100 hours on the tractor between mowing, moving dirt, cutting field and weeds, tilling 60'x200' garden. It's been great. Two thoughts: (1) 60" bucket may be too big unless you're moving light material, I have 53" bucket - wide enough to cover wheel width and when full with dirt, a FULL load of weight - I originally thought the 400lb tiller was enough counter-weight, but ended up buying the 3pt weight box. (2) the 3pt lower arms will barely go wide enough to get on the pins of the 413 rotary cutter - works great when on, but a bit of wrestling to get there. ....

JD790 vs JD4100

View my Photos
Craig Smith

2001-03-09          25242

Thanks for the ideas - I really would like a tooth bar, but I'm short on cash. I think they cost a couple hundred dollars. If you know who's is best for the bucks, post it ok?
Hopefully, delivery is this Saturday 3/10/01. ....

JD790 vs JD4100

View my Photos
Todd

2001-03-09          25274

Congrats a day in advance. Have fun and be safe.
Todd ....

JD790 vs JD4100

View my Photos
Craig Smith

2001-03-11          25372

The 4100 is definatly the tractor I need. Got delivery yesterday, And since there is still a foor of snow on the ground, and I don't care about the lawn, my wife and I both got to practice scooping it up all over the lawn. We made a good size hill for the 5 year old to slide down. It was good practice to get used to the ancle of the bucket. Oh yeah - found out that when you fully lift it, be sure to rotate it foreward some, or it can come bavck on the hood or in your lap. Glad it was snow, and not dirt, mud or stone.
The 790 is an exceptional buy, but with the loader work and the size of my lot the 4100 with hydro makes life easy. The whirring noise of the hydro is new to me, but I guess it's supposed to do that.
I'll keep you posted on breaking ground - it's still frozem hard. ....

JD790 vs JD4100

View my Photos
Craig Smith

2001-03-15          25562

Well, we got a little bit of a thaw today - went out to what I thought was the dryer side of the rear of our lot - and almost got stuck in deep mud. Just kept it going, and pushed down on the differential lock, and got out of it as fast as possible. I don't really know how deep it goes till I hit hard soil - but I will take a rod out first next time and see how far down it goes. I talked to a neighbor, and he used to plow it for the previous owner a severaal years back. He got his large tractor stuck, then got his other large tractor to pull the 1st one out, and it got stuck too. He then had a friend come in from a couple miles away to pull both out together. He said it was quite a sight! I can still see where the ruts were from 10-plus years ago! He said I will have to wait two weeks after everyone else starts.
But I did try the rototiller out - to loosen some soil so I could scoop it. This is to provide a drainage area. Man - you should have seen it - mud everywhere! THen I read in the manual, that if you can compact the soil with youur hand (like a good snowball) it is too damp to rototill. If it starts to fall back apart, it is o.K.. They didn't mention how it is when it oozes through you fingers......
I'll let you know of more adventures later. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login