950 Tractor Broke in Two: John Deere Review  -- John Deere Tractors Discussion Forum and Review 950 Tractor Broke in Two: John Deere Review -- John Deere Tractors Discussion Forum

parts   |   manuals   |   discussion   |   photos   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   contact   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index
New As Posted | Active Subjects

www.emerichsales.com - New & Used Equipment
          View Tractors For Sale!

www.partsbynet.com - Lawn and Garden Equipment Parts

Bernardsville Landscape Lighting
Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > John Deere Review Forum

Page [ 1 ] |
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 02-09-2001, 16:59 Post: 24068
Jerry Jones

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 950 Tractor Broke in Two

I have a 950 JD w/75 loader and a 8A back hoe on it and the transmission case broke at the shifting plate. I beleave that the weight of the loader and back hoe pushing up where thay attach in the middle is what coused it to brake. I need to know if anyone else had this problem. if so how did you solve the problem.

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us | Stumble This

02-11-2001, 04:12 Post: 24086
TomG

TP Contributor

Filter by User
 950 Tractor Broke in Two

Stories like this are unfortunately not exactly rare. Sorry about your tractor. Most stories are related to 3ph mounted hoes, of which I have one. For my occasional use in sandy soil, I think it's still the hoe for me. However, the hoe is not especially strong for the tractor, and I take care not to use it for heavy tasks like moving large rocks in trenches or removing stumps. I also check the mount adjustments about every hour of operation and make sure the stabilizers are extended on solid surfaces. In operation, the loader bucket is supposed to be on the ground (many people dig in the blade), so loader weight shouldn't be the problem. However, the bucket does add to the effective wheel base, which probably allows a hoe to apply greater stress to the tractor. For heavier use than mine, a good subframe mount is preferable. A good mount distributes stress to the tractor midframe. For a solution other than subframe mounts, I've heard that brackets that help distribute stress away from the cases are available for some Kubotas. I'll probably see if something like that can be fabricated for my Ford 1710.

02-11-2001, 08:29 Post: 24090
Jerry Jones

Filter by User
 950 Tractor Broke in Two

TomG the 8A John Deere back hoe has a sub frame on it how ever it mounts on a bracket by the drawbar an pins on the loader bracket in the middle of the tractor. This is the problem the 1200 lbs back hoe is piviting by the drawbar and pushing up on the middle of the tractor. I am tring to figure out how to keep this form happening again after I put the transmission back together, becouse I am sure that history will repeat its self.

02-12-2001, 05:55 Post: 24126
TomG

TP Contributor

Filter by User
 950 Tractor Broke in Two

That doesn't sound like good news. What happened is what I thought such a sub-frame mount is supposed to prevent. A story I heard recently was that a Ford/NH 1720 broke in half ahead of the seat while using a 3ph hoe. The tractor was used as a rental machine and had less than 200 hours on it. An inspection showed that the casting seemed to be overly thin in the area of failure. Apparently the same sort of failure can happen on 3ph as well as sub-frame hoes. I probably should re-think my sense of 3ph and sub-frame geometry.

The story about the bracket for Kubotas is that Kubota does not provide warranty coverage for a tractor where a 3ph hoe is used except if these brackets are installed. They apparently are available as dealer parts. It was something recently posted on another board. That does sound interesting if it's accurate. At least it seems there is the possibility of fabricating something that would reduce the potential for damage to a tractor.

02-12-2001, 11:18 Post: 24144
Ted Kennedy

950 Tractor Broke in Two

Jerry, before you go too crazy looking for a way to re-engineer you machine, see if you can borrow a hydraulic test kit and get the spec.'s for your machine. Pay extra attention to the pressure relief valves and limit check valves. I don't think you have a pump output problem, but you could have a seriously maladjusted pressure relief valve. Most breakage of the type you described occurs when the boom and dipper are extended in-line and excessive bucket curl forces occur. These forces go straight up to the top link and try to "jack knife" your tractor. Once you rule out hydraulic over-pressure, then look to the less obvious. I, too, am sorry to hear about your misfortune and believe that it was of no fault of your own.

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] |

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > John Deere Review Forum

Thread 24068 Filter by Poster:
Jerry Jones 2 | Ted Kennedy 1 | TomG 2 |

Most Viewed

+ John Deere 2210 Backhoe Review
+ John Deere vs Kubota Compact Tractors
+ John Deere 790 fuel shut-off solenoid failing???
+ John Deere low viscosity HY GARD
+ John Deere JD 4100 Wiring diagram
+ JD 790 or Kubota L3000DT
+ Should I buy a John Deere 4105???
+ John Deere 4300 turns over but won't start
+ John Deere 455 garden tractor
+ Oil Change for Diesel Tractor

Most Discussion

+ John Deere 4300 scuffing......
+ Possible Solution To The 4000
+ Dealer out to lunch
+ Just got my new JD 4410 - Prob