Go Bottom Go Bottom

JD 790 Rear Blade

View my Photos
Glen Schattner
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-02-03          23909

I have recently purchased a JD 790 and was wondering what size rear blade or box scraper I can go with.??? is a 5' blade the max. or can I use a 6' blade....would prefer to get a 6' blade if the tractor can pull it.....and with regards to adding extra work lights to the rear of the tractor....using the same light circuit as the headlights use..would there be any problem in just hooking up to th e existing wiring if I were to add 2 - 5" lights to the circuit or would I have to beef up amperage of the existing fuse??

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

JD 790 Rear Blade

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2001-02-03          23917

Glen, it's not the diameter of the lights you use, but the wattage (or amperage draw), that you have to be concerned about. You might need to not only use a higher capacity fuse, but also heavier wire if you put additional work lights on the same circuit as your headlights. I think most of us use a separate circuit for the additional lights, and a lot of tractors already have such a circuit with the connector under the seat. ....

JD 790 Rear Blade

View my Photos
Jim Reichard

2001-02-03          23919

Hi Glen , I use a 6' grader blade behind my JOHN DEERE 790 It pulls it very well. About your work light John Deere makes a kit for the 790 for single or daul rear lights that plug right into the harness to the black T type connector and bolts into an exsisting hole in the left or right or both fenders. the kit are around $30.00 and you don't have to modify your wiring for them. It takes only a few minutes to install and are very brite. I installed 2 of them because I have a backhoe and if I swing the bucket in the lights way I still have the other one to light up the hole. I hope this helps. ....

JD 790 Rear Blade

View my Photos
Roger L.

2001-02-03          23923

A six foot blade and a five foot box are about right for your tractor. Most any box will do the job, but for the blade I'd recommend that you look at the high end blades if you are going to use it for any more than casual use. For snow anyblade is fine, but for dirt with rocks and roots you want the heaviest blade you can afford. My preference is for one with tilt, angle, and offset - all adjusted quickly with pins; not bolts. BTW, the better blades have end plates as an option. This gives you a blade that doubles as a box and is probably more versatile than the box. You don't get the rippers, but on a light tractor I haven't found much use for the rippers. ....

JD 790 Rear Blade

View my Photos
Glen Schattner

2001-02-04          23932

Thanks for all the good advice......I went out to my tractor...and lo and behold did find 2 female type connectors...under the seat...one of each side...just waiting to be used....used a tester in the connector and found that power is supplied when headlights are turned on in field position...in the next week or so I will be installing 2..rear work lights in the fenders.....
...and as far as blades go...I am looking at a 6 foot blade..from Farm King...weighs about 275 lbs..???? can anyone comment on this name brand?? is Farm King considered the Wal Mart of implements.??? or should I be looking for another brand....can buy one from Deere & Co...but...for the price they want..I could buy 4 of the Farm King brand??? any thoughts on which brand to buy...and what should a good rear blade weigh for my tractor????? ....

JD 790 Rear Blade

View my Photos
TomG

2001-02-04          23934

It's good the 790 has an aux outlet, and you found it. Putting larger fuses in anything is a bad idea. I didn't have an aux outlet and ran a line directly from the battery through an in-line fuse. That works and is a fairly simple installation as well.

Weight is a rough measure of quality in a box scraper. Getting the heaviest one available within your budget is a pretty safe bet. My attitude is that is box scraper is more useful than a low end blade because of the scarifiers, and because a light blade doesn't cut hard ground very well (but sand bags on top of the blade does help). However, a high end blade, with all the angles and swings plus end-plates, will do most everything a box can do and then some. However, it won't rip sod very well, and a box a box spreads gravel better. I wish I had both, but a high end blade does cost a lot more than a decent box. On the other hand, an additional expense with a box is a hydraulic top-link, which consider almost an essential with a box.

I use a 6' Farm King box on my 24 HP 1710, and it has turf tires. I am traction challenged ripping sod or dragging full boxes on loose gravel. However, the traction problems are manageable. I prefer the 6' to a shorter blade, because I can crown my drives with one cut either side and leave about the right width on top of the crown. The longer blade makes most side-to-side grading jobs easier. The 6' blade also gives some blade outside the rear tires, and that is useful for digging shallow trenches. Farm King is a reasonable well known implement in Canada. My box has served well, and I think Farm King makes pretty good utility grade implements. A 5' box should work well on your tractor, unless you want the longer blade advantages mentioned, and then some traction problems should be expected. Most tractors can manage a longer blade than a box.

JD 790 Rear Blade

View my Photos
Jim Reichard

2001-02-04          23938

Hi Glen! I just finnished grading 3 driveways in my nabiorhood, The first one was my own 750' at 17 degree incline using my John Deere 790 with a 6' Work saver blade , With the 4 wd I was able to grade both up and down pulling a full load with no slippage . I also have the john deere 45 6 foot blade which is extremely well made its attached to a john deere 950 .the blade weighs about 350 pounds . I had my resevations about the worksaver blade because it did not seem to be as heavy or beafy as the john deere but it proved to be as good as the john deere working all 3 drive way equially well. I'm glad you found the connectors I was talking about it will make light hook up a breeze. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login