Go Bottom Go Bottom

JD 790 Questions

View my Photos
Ben Sullivan
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-01-04          23074

I am looking into purchasing a John Deere 790 tractor. I have no experience with new tractors, only a 1973 135 Massey Ferguson, so I have a couple questions. What is a Dual Selective Control Valve? Is it only needed for a loader? I will never have need for a loader so I could save some money here if that is the DSCV's only application. Another question is a reasonable price. I have recieved prices from $10,500 to 11,500 without the DSCV. I have also had several dealers tell me that this is a Price Fighter model. What exactly does that mean? Is it another term for "on sale"? Another dealer mentioned that he didn't expect the price to return to $14,000 before the middle of spring. Is around $11,000 a abnormally low price for this tractor? Should I buy now or is the dealer lying to get a quick sale? Any information would be greatly appreciated! Ben

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

JD 790 Questions

View my Photos
Richard Mendel

2001-01-04          23075

John, Go t to the JD website and you will find that there is a promotional sale on the 790 until Jan. for $10,995.00. I am not that familiar with how good this model is so it may not be such a good deal. I'm looking also and am frankly confused. ....

JD 790 Questions

View my Photos
Rob Munach

2001-01-04          23076

I bought a 790 this summer and have been pretty happy with it. One thing that I don't like is the fact that it does not have a shuttle shift or equiv. You have to be completely stopped to change gears. Other than that, it is a great machine. I would get the DSCV anyway as a loader is about the handiest thing you can own and you may get one in the future. I paid about 11k for mine with the DSCV and industrial tires. I don't think it is worth anymore than that as other brands ahave similar models for close to the same price. ....

JD 790 Questions

View my Photos
Mark Goehring

2001-01-04          23081

That's good pricing on the 790. The SCV is primarily for the FEL. It puts a control arm on your right side, and 2 pairs of hydraulic connections towards the front of the tractor on the left side. Those connections could also be used for anything that mounts up front and needs hydraulics, e.g. a rotary broom, front mount snowblower (both of which require the mid-point PTO option). The "price fighter" is a marketing thing, not sale. It simply means a basic, few frills CUT that will get the job done and has very little markup from the dealer - so you probably won't be able to dicker on the price. ....

JD 790 Questions

View my Photos
J. Dubbs

2001-01-05          23115

Ben,
I also looked at the 790 in the Spring/Summer 2000, but chose a NH TC29 and have recently traded to a NH TC35. However, the best price I found was $10,900, and at the time JD advertised this price as the best in its compact tractor class(25 gross hp). It is a good price due to JD's new 4000 series(4100-4700) is competing with the 790, especially the 4200-4300, which is nearest in hp. My NH dealer also deals JD and claims that the 790 is an incredibly reliable unit with little trouble as compared to the multiple problems with the 4000 series as posted on this board. Good Luck. J. Dubbs. ....

JD 790 Questions

View my Photos
Toddh

2001-01-11          23298

I've owned by 790 since I bought it new in April 2000 and have been pleased with it in all respects save a fairly common battery connector problem (that has been posted about on this board and is pretty easy to fix). I paid about $15K for the tractor, loader, R4 tires, 5' rotary cutter and 5' box scraper. I haven't been real happy with my dealer (it's like pulling teeth to get them to do anything), but other dealers have great reputations. If you can afford it at all, I think almost anyone on this board who has much experience with tractors will advise you to get a FEL. It's truly amazing what all uses you will find for it that you never would have thought about until you have one. And they're cheaper and better to get as original equipment on a tractor and you will almost *always* get your money back out of them when it comes time to sell or trade for a new one. ....

JD 790 Questions

View my Photos
Randy in IA

2001-01-22          23586

My new 790 is supposed to be delivered tommorrow. I've read several posts regarding purchase prices so I thought I'd spill my guts. I'm buying a 4WD 790 w/ mid pto, scv hydraulics, and an engine block heater for $10,360, that includes freight, setup, and delivery to my door. I'm upgrading to industrial tires for approx $320 more. I had to shop though, one dealer told me that nobody can afford to sell for Deere's advertised price, another had 2 chances but wouldn't even return my calls. I was surprised when the last dealer shot me the $10,360 price, the only thing I even tried to negotiate was delivery. ....

JD 790 Questions

View my Photos
Mickey Grider

2001-01-22          23587

I CAN BUY THEM ALL DAY LONG FOR 9,000 IN LA, ....

JD 790 Questions

View my Photos
J. Dubbs

2001-01-23          23610

Mickey,
What an interesting post? I think most might want to know where, and what dealer in LA is offering the JD790 for $9,000. The best I've seen in PA is around $10,800 and $10,360 is one heck of a deal. A follow up post with additional information on your 9K quote is one I would certainly like to see.

J.Dubbs

JD 790 Questions

View my Photos
Mickey Grider

2001-01-23          23629

THATS A 790 2WD JOHN DEERE 25 PTO.HP FOR 9,000 IN NEW ROADS LA,NAME OF DEALER ISMILLER-PENNIMAN CO;#1-800-367-5147 IF YOU CALL I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW OUT COME IF ANY TROUBLE MAYBE I CAN HELP ....

JD 790 Questions

View my Photos
John Miller, III

2001-01-23          23635

As I posted in another section, I saw a new 790 MFWD with SCV's yesterday for $10,600 without dickering. This is an updated Yanmar, with John Deere logo, and 2 year warranty... lot's of bang for the buck! ....

JD 790 Questions

View my Photos
Randy in IA

2001-01-23          23636

Add 4wd, mid PTO, scv hydraulics, engine block heater, freight, setup, and delivery. Now how much will it cost? ....

JD 790 Questions

View my Photos
John Miller, III

2001-01-24          23649

Hi Randy. That's with 4wd & SCV's. I don't know about the mid-pto or block heater though. I'm in Upstate New York (little cold in winter) and most of this dealer's tractors have block heaters, and he delivers up to 50 mile radius with purchase. I guess the secret to selling is give the razor away so you can sell the blades. He said 99% of the compacts are sold with implements. Kinda hard to do any kind of work without them... ....

JD 790 Questions

View my Photos
davidl

2001-02-27          24783

I just went today to my JD dealer in central NH. He showed me a 4WD, 790- with a loader, gear transmission and rear PTO only. He said it was on sale for $15,100!!! He said a 60" rear snow blower would be $2,000 and a 6' blade would be $350. He told me that the first service at 50 hours would cost $500. After reading your postings, I think he is trying to take me for a ride. He also showed me a Kubota B2710HSD with loader for $17,000. ....

JD 790 Questions

View my Photos
Halsey Green

2001-02-28          24807

David, the price quoted on the 790 is a little high, I got a 790 last summer with rear and mid PTO, SCV, and loader with 54 in bucket for $14,900. As for his 50 hour service on the 790, 50 hour service includes engine oil and filter change, grease job and checking the other fluids. Don't have my shop manual with me, but don't remember doing much else. His $500 sounds like a tractor with hydro where the gear fluids and filters get changed also. ....

JD 790 Questions

View my Photos
Jim Reichard

2001-02-28          24810

Dave check with an JOHN DEERE Industrial dealer for pricing I bought my NEW 4 WD 790 with frontend loader and backhoe in dec. 2000 for $18,000 .I added over the $18.000 R4 tires and a canopy and bigger front and rear buckets and filled tires. I saved over $4,000 through the industrial dealer over the AGriculture dealer who would not budge on his price.JIM ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login