JD 790 Questions: John Deere Review  -- John Deere Tractors Discussion Forum and Review JD 790 Questions: John Deere Review -- John Deere Tractors Discussion Forum

parts   |   manuals   |   discussion   |   photos   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   contact   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index
New As Posted | Active Subjects

www.emerichsales.com - New & Used Equipment
          View Tractors For Sale!

www.partsbynet.com - Lawn and Garden Equipment Parts

Bernardsville Landscape Lighting
Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > John Deere Review Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 01-04-2001, 16:02 Post: 23074
Ben Sullivan

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster
 JD 790 Questions

I am looking into purchasing a John Deere 790 tractor. I have no experience with new tractors, only a 1973 135 Massey Ferguson, so I have a couple questions. What is a Dual Selective Control Valve? Is it only needed for a loader? I will never have need for a loader so I could save some money here if that is the DSCV's only application. Another question is a reasonable price. I have recieved prices from $10,500 to 11,500 without the DSCV. I have also had several dealers tell me that this is a Price Fighter model. What exactly does that mean? Is it another term for "on sale"? Another dealer mentioned that he didn't expect the price to return to $14,000 before the middle of spring. Is around $11,000 a abnormally low price for this tractor? Should I buy now or is the dealer lying to get a quick sale? Any information would be greatly appreciated! Ben

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us | Technorati | Furl | Stumble This

01-04-2001, 18:43 Post: 23075
Richard Mendel

JD 790 Questions

John, Go t to the JD website and you will find that there is a promotional sale on the 790 until Jan. for $10,995.00. I am not that familiar with how good this model is so it may not be such a good deal. I'm looking also and am frankly confused.

01-04-2001, 18:44 Post: 23076
Rob Munach

JD 790 Questions

I bought a 790 this summer and have been pretty happy with it. One thing that I don't like is the fact that it does not have a shuttle shift or equiv. You have to be completely stopped to change gears. Other than that, it is a great machine. I would get the DSCV anyway as a loader is about the handiest thing you can own and you may get one in the future. I paid about 11k for mine with the DSCV and industrial tires. I don't think it is worth anymore than that as other brands ahave similar models for close to the same price.

01-04-2001, 20:05 Post: 23081
Mark Goehring

JD 790 Questions

That's good pricing on the 790. The SCV is primarily for the FEL. It puts a control arm on your right side, and 2 pairs of hydraulic connections towards the front of the tractor on the left side. Those connections could also be used for anything that mounts up front and needs hydraulics, e.g. a rotary broom, front mount snowblower (both of which require the mid-point PTO option). The "price fighter" is a marketing thing, not sale. It simply means a basic, few frills CUT that will get the job done and has very little markup from the dealer - so you probably won't be able to dicker on the price.

01-05-2001, 21:49 Post: 23115
J. Dubbs

Filter by User
 JD 790 Questions

Ben,
I also looked at the 790 in the Spring/Summer 2000, but chose a NH TC29 and have recently traded to a NH TC35. However, the best price I found was $10,900, and at the time JD advertised this price as the best in its compact tractor class(25 gross hp). It is a good price due to JD's new 4000 series(4100-4700) is competing with the 790, especially the 4200-4300, which is nearest in hp. My NH dealer also deals JD and claims that the 790 is an incredibly reliable unit with little trouble as compared to the multiple problems with the 4000 series as posted on this board. Good Luck. J. Dubbs.

01-11-2001, 00:47 Post: 23298
Toddh

JD 790 Questions

I've owned by 790 since I bought it new in April 2000 and have been pleased with it in all respects save a fairly common battery connector problem (that has been posted about on this board and is pretty easy to fix). I paid about $15K for the tractor, loader, R4 tires, 5' rotary cutter and 5' box scraper. I haven't been real happy with my dealer (it's like pulling teeth to get them to do anything), but other dealers have great reputations. If you can afford it at all, I think almost anyone on this board who has much experience with tractors will advise you to get a FEL. It's truly amazing what all uses you will find for it that you never would have thought about until you have one. And they're cheaper and better to get as original equipment on a tractor and you will almost *always* get your money back out of them when it comes time to sell or trade for a new one.

01-22-2001, 19:29 Post: 23586
Randy in IA

Filter by User
 JD 790 Questions

My new 790 is supposed to be delivered tommorrow. I've read several posts regarding purchase prices so I thought I'd spill my guts. I'm buying a 4WD 790 w/ mid pto, scv hydraulics, and an engine block heater for $10,360, that includes freight, setup, and delivery to my door. I'm upgrading to industrial tires for approx $320 more. I had to shop though, one dealer told me that nobody can afford to sell for Deere's advertised price, another had 2 chances but wouldn't even return my calls. I was surprised when the last dealer shot me the $10,360 price, the only thing I even tried to negotiate was delivery.

01-22-2001, 20:13 Post: 23587
Mickey Grider

Filter by User
 JD 790 Questions

I CAN BUY THEM ALL DAY LONG FOR 9,000 IN LA,

01-23-2001, 17:10 Post: 23610
J. Dubbs

Filter by User
 JD 790 Questions

Mickey,
What an interesting post? I think most might want to know where, and what dealer in LA is offering the JD790 for $9,000. The best I've seen in PA is around $10,800 and $10,360 is one heck of a deal. A follow up post with additional information on your 9K quote is one I would certainly like to see.

J.Dubbs

01-23-2001, 20:04 Post: 23629
Mickey Grider

Filter by User
 JD 790 Questions

THATS A 790 2WD JOHN DEERE 25 PTO.HP FOR 9,000 IN NEW ROADS LA,NAME OF DEALER ISMILLER-PENNIMAN CO;#1-800-367-5147 IF YOU CALL I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW OUT COME IF ANY TROUBLE MAYBE I CAN HELP

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > John Deere Review Forum

Thread 23074 Filter by Poster:
Ben Sullivan 1 | davidl 1 | Halsey Green 1 | J. Dubbs 2 | Jim Reichard 1 | John Miller, III 2 | Mark Goehring 1 | Mickey Grider 2 | Randy in IA 2 | Richard Mendel 1 | Rob Munach 1 | Toddh 1 |

Most Viewed

+ John Deere 2210 Backhoe Review
+ John Deere vs Kubota Compact Tractors
+ John Deere 790 fuel shut-off solenoid failing???
+ John Deere low viscosity HY GARD
+ John Deere JD 4100 Wiring diagram
+ JD 790 or Kubota L3000DT
+ Should I buy a John Deere 4105???
+ John Deere 4300 turns over but won't start
+ John Deere 455 garden tractor
+ Oil Change for Diesel Tractor

Most Discussion

+ John Deere 4300 scuffing......
+ Possible Solution To The 4000
+ Dealer out to lunch
+ Just got my new JD 4410 - Prob