JD 4600 Design/Manufacting Defect Index: John Deere Review  -- John Deere Tractors Discussion Forum and Review JD 4600 Design/Manufacting Defect Index: John Deere Review -- John Deere Tractors Discussion Forum

parts   |   manuals   |   discussion   |   photos   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   contact   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index
New As Posted | Active Subjects

www.emerichsales.com - New & Used Equipment
          View Tractors For Sale!

www.partsbynet.com - Lawn and Garden Equipment Parts

Bernardsville Landscape Lighting
Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > John Deere Review Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 11-30-2000, 21:33 Post: 21997
Eric Mullins

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster
 JD 4600 Design/Manufacting Defect Index

Has anyone compiled an index of the various flaws from the factory on the 4600, or others? Front axle, metal shavings, etc?

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us | Stumble This

11-30-2000, 23:45 Post: 22006
kay

I strongly suggest every reader try to sort out the wheat from the chaff, when it comes to complaints about different color tractors on the internet. It is easy to 1) complain and make it sound like a bigger deal than it really is, and 2) impersonate being an owner of a brand, and post ugly things that are not true.
Take all the information for what it is (and with a grain of salt), and check it out for yourself. Otherwise, you may be the real loser. Hope not to step on toes, but it is the danger of the web. Albeit, there is still a lot of useful information here.

12-01-2000, 22:00 Post: 22046
Larry in MI.

Filter by User

Eric, I am not aware of any compiled list of problems with the 4000 series of JD's though the posts on this board would indicate that there have been many. I would hope that JD has taken the time to compile such a list but they are unlikely to share negative information. As for Kay's message, my toes are a bit sore. 1) My JD4100 still does not run right, my dealer did in fact lie to me, I am a real person 2)I am not a tractor salesperson, and the internet is not an evil place filled with persons with mean spitited agendas. These are the same people that you work with every day only in different places. 3)Going one or two steps further..... I would be willing to say that I view this forum as a place to discuss compact utility tractors with a bunch of regular people that I would love to spend time with in their shops if I could only afford to travel to their locations. I suspect that Kay may be guilty of the very points that Kay makes.

12-02-2000, 08:45 Post: 22059
cutter

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Larry, what problems are you having with your 4100? I owned one for two years and really had no problems except lack of power for some tasks and the hst. pedals being overly stiff. The machine ran great. The salesman did take advantage of my ignorance at the time. He represented the machine as being able to do more than it safely could do. I was very unfamiliar with them and had to find out for myself.

12-02-2000, 15:32 Post: 22069
Larry in MI.

Filter by User

Hi cutter, my problem with the 4100 is cold weather starting. It belches large amounts of smoke and acts like it is flooded. The dealer took it in and claims to have rebuilt the injectors that were not spraying properly. The rebuild obviously did not work. The dealer claims that JD will not replace the injectors, that he has to rebuild them. Other than that I have been relatively happy with the tractor. Like you, I was not very familiar with tractor capabilities when I made the purchase. I wish I would have gotten a larger tractor.

12-02-2000, 18:04 Post: 22070
dsg

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Eric, I own a JD4700, bought it in July and have 382 hours on it now. I ordered it May 9th to be built to my spec's. I will list the problems I know JD has had with the 4000 series, most of which were told to me by the local JD machanic and some are from experience. The largest of the problems was the poor design on the first front axle JD was placing on the machines (tearing turf in a turn), then Something about the hydro pumps not filtering dust and premature wear, then Some type of washers or spacers in the transmissions that were suppose to be harden were not and wore prematurly, I'm sure I have forgoten some and I have not experienced any of those problems. It is my understanding all of those problems had been fixed by April 2000. The only problems I have had with the 4700 are the 3pth seems to slowly leak down with a load on it, two bolts that hold on the step on the left side of the tractor broke away from the transmission housing when I hit the step on a stump and both of these problems are going to be taken care of under warrantee. I'm sure other posters can add to the list, but the above problems I guess are the most wide spread. David

12-02-2000, 18:52 Post: 22071
cutter

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Larry, I did not have a problem with smoking. Try calling J/D yourself, I can't believe they expect you to live with it. I think my TC29 smokes more than my J/D did upon startup. A guy up the road works as a mechanic for one of the largest J/D dealers in the country. He claims they have had transmission failures on that model as well, take it for what it is worth. Good luck.

12-02-2000, 19:07 Post: 22072
Larry in MI.

Filter by User

I knew when I posted that message that I was forgetting one very important issue. "Complain and make it sound like a bigger deal than it really is" was that issue. I'm not saying that no one should purchase a JD4100 because I had a problem. I am saying that I had a problem with the JD4100 that I purchased and no one seems to care (other than me). To me $17K (total cost for loader, tractor, mower deck, ballast box, and a few other things)for a machine that does not perform without problems and warranty satisfaction is a big issue to me. I suspect there are a few other posters that have suffered far greater financial disappointments. Enough said on that topic. dsg listed several problems with the 4XXX series. I think he must have escaped the dash fogging problem. Obviously I am not going to receive relief from my dealer and I would like to know how much it would cost for a new set of injectors for the 4100 and how difficult it would be to install them. Thanks in advance for any help.

12-04-2000, 07:47 Post: 22107
TomG

TP Contributor

Filter by User

I know this isn't shoptalk, and I own a Ford anyway. But I was wondering about smoke at start up. If it's only at start up, injector spray (usually taken to mean the spray patterns) doesn't sound like the problem. Injectors that leak down fuel into the cylinders while the tractor is sitting could make the smoke, but that's something that would be unusual in a new tractor. I wonder what 'rebuilding the injectors' and 'weren't spraying properly' actually means. I guess the tractor smokes at start up irrespective of the throttle setting. I use 1/2 - 3/4 in cold weather, less when it's warmer. Of course, insufficient glow plug and some other things would make it smoke.

A fluky sort of question just occurred to me. I wonder how the max rpm adjustment is set. I'd have to think through how throttle settings and the governor work at start up, but maybe there's a chance a high max rpm setting would give a larger initial shot of fuel. Of course, this might be a wacky idea, but then somebody might tell me and I'd learn something.

12-04-2000, 21:15 Post: 22123
Larry in MI.

Filter by User

TomG, I have read your post with considerable interest. The excessive smoking and flooded engine does happen regardless of the throttle setting at startup. I tested the glow plugs with an ohm meter and the readings were consistent from one to the other and I did electrically isolate them by removing the wire from the top. I also physically inspected one of them by removing it from the tractor and examined the internal coil. The maximum throttle setting is as it came from the factory and runs at 2650 rpm. I have tried fuels from different sources. Please keep thinking and let me know what you come up with. I also wonder what rebuilding the injectors and were'nt spraying properly actually means. I do not think your ideas are wacky.

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > John Deere Review Forum

Thread 21997 Filter by Poster:
Anthony M. Parente 1 | Art White 1 | Brad H 1 | cutter 2 | dsg 1 | Eric Mullins 1 | Halsey Green 1 | John ODonnell 1 | kay 1 | Larry in MI. 7 | Phil Weathington 1 | Roger L. 1 | Ted Kennedy 1 | TomG 2 |

Most Viewed

+ John Deere 2210 Backhoe Review
+ John Deere vs Kubota Compact Tractors
+ John Deere 790 fuel shut-off solenoid failing???
+ John Deere low viscosity HY GARD
+ John Deere JD 4100 Wiring diagram
+ JD 790 or Kubota L3000DT
+ Should I buy a John Deere 4105???
+ John Deere 4300 turns over but won't start
+ John Deere 455 garden tractor
+ Oil Change for Diesel Tractor

Most Discussion

+ John Deere 4300 scuffing......
+ Possible Solution To The 4000
+ Dealer out to lunch
+ Just got my new JD 4410 - Prob