Go Bottom Go Bottom

4200 JD collar shift Clutch Problems

View my Photos
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

1999-03-29          2121

Has anyone else experienced clutch problems with the 4000 series JD's. I have a 4200 JD collar shift that I almost crashed due to an improper clutch adjustment at the factory. The dealer and I both test drove this tractor for about 3 hours total before and after delivery and saw no problem with the clutch disengagement. Then without noticed the tractor decided not to stop when the clutch was depressed which almost resulted in a crushed front end and garage door. With the tractor back at the dealer for adjustment, I was told that they had no choice but to split the tractor to adjust the clutches. JD technical told them that the clutches probably needed more shims for proper disengagement. After adjustment, the dealer gave the tractor a thorough 30 min. workout of pushing and pulling and just hard stopping and starting without any failures. Well, I have the tractor back and after 2 hours more of running time the damn thing decides not to stop again. For a new tractor with not even 10 hours on it, this type of failure is totally unacceptable.I've heard from the dealer that the tool to do the adjustments for the clutches is in great demand and that he was on a 3 week waiting list to use it. Fortunately, his local rep had just received one so my tractor was repaired promptly. But this tells me that JD may have a major problem with their collar shifts. So beware! Test your tractor thoroughly if you can before delivery.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos

1999-03-29          2122

Sorry to hear about your problems with the JD 4200. I agree that the problem is totally unacceptable. It would seem that your only option is to continue to work with the dealer and push the issue up the chain for a proper remedy. I've been following the discussion on the new JD 4000 series for some time and there seems to be an unusual amount of "more than minor problems" with the new series. Most of the problems from my observations seem to be associated with assembly and quality control issues. In fact, you can easily review previous messages on this list and see a discomforting trend. There is a saying in the auto industry that it is prudent to wait for a while after a complete new model is produced, for the bugs to be worked out. It is troubling to find this necessary with JD. I'll think I'll wait another year to buy and stick with my old JD. ....

View my Photos

1999-03-29          2140

Last paragraph...Well said. ....

View my Photos

1999-03-29          2150

I have to disagree with your comment on the 4000 series some what. I have a 4600 and have been working the hell out of it pulling stumps with the model 48 backhoe. Digging dirt with hoe and loader, moving stumps with the loader and I'm talking some pretty large root balls here. I've been driving through some real sloppy mud amd deep but the 4wd just keeps on moving on through. One of these times I afraid of geting it stuck where I've been working with all the spring water run off where I'm working with it. I haven't had a complaint about the machine as yet. I'm rather surprised it's been doing so well with all I've done so far. I went to the 4600 just for that reasons of wanting to work it a little harder and not wishing I would have bought the larger one in the long run. I did have a o-ring that wasn't seated on the the thre point but the dealer fixed it right a way and the fluid leaks was resolved. Very satisfied with my purchase so far and dealer. ....

View my Photos

1999-03-29          2170

You know,it seems to me that as high priced as these compacts are,that there would have been some major league field testing before any of these models would be marketed.It's not just Deere,read the posts on Kubota Source.Green,Orange,Blue,It looks like there all getting to be about the same.Do we need some Lemon Laws on ag equipment?You know these problems have to be equally flustrating the dealers also.And I'm sure they're working very hard to make things right,but if these tractors were put through the "test" before being marketed I really doubt everyone would be having so many problems. ....

View my Photos
Bill

1999-04-14          2874

Shortly after delivery my 4200 wouldn't go into gear without some serious grinding. Dealer had to split the tractor to fix. Since then the tractor has been awesome, more than I had expected. But agree with others, for the cost there shouldn't be this type of defect.Bill ....

View my Photos
Daryl

1999-05-21          4165

Just purchased 4200 JD collar shift and I am having same grinding problem dealer tells me that clutch has been adjusted fully from out side remedy has to be done by factory techs internally. I have always liked JD's for quality and dependability but for this kind of investment I think I should be able to use this machine not have it sit in the dealer's shop. I am very disillusioned at this point and am about to tell dealer and JD they own a 4200. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login