Go Bottom Go Bottom

JD 950 brakes that don t return

View my Photos
Roger L.
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-10-26          20928

Hello Lawrence, the reply on your message doesn't work on my computer (Toshiba running Windows NT and I.E. 4.72) But this work-around might get you some more answers. I'll copy your question after the answer. I'll bet that you have a broken brake shoe return spring. It was a common problem with those tractors and in fact is common to lots of tractors - both full size and compacts that have internal expanding drum brakes. Those return springs rust quickly and then break. The good news is that it is cheap and easy to replace them. An nice Sunday afternoon job. Be sure to get 4 springs so that you can replace them all on both sides. Yes, it may well have to do with the clutch sticking. Clutch sticking like you describe can be due to the friction disk rusting to the pressure plate or flywheel, and this is a known problem caused by moisture or high humidity. If you have the one problem, you may have the other one too. To keep the clutch from sticking, block the foot lever down when you have to leave it for a week or more. Roger L.From: Lawrence D. Lopez 2000-10-24 20830The tractor is a John Deere 950 compact diesel tractor with 4 wheel drive. I can force the pedal up with the back of my foot. I tried regreasing the pedal pivot point but that didn't help. Other side works fine. It's probably unrelated but the clutch had stuck engaged recently (this problem has been solved).--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login