JD 4300 Winter Items: John Deere Review  -- John Deere Tractors Discussion Forum and Review JD 4300 Winter Items: John Deere Review -- John Deere Tractors Discussion Forum

parts   |   manuals   |   discussion   |   photos   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   contact   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index
New As Posted | Active Subjects

www.emerichsales.com - New & Used Equipment
          View Tractors For Sale!

www.partsbynet.com - Lawn and Garden Equipment Parts

Bernardsville Landscape Lighting
Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > John Deere Review Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 09-10-2000, 16:23 Post: 19676
Mark

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 JD 4300 Winter Items

Just ordered a new 4300 JD Hyd. 4WD with a 430 Loader, 59" Snowblower and a Curtis Soft Side Cab. The questions I have are: anybody had any experience with the Curtis Cab, how tough to put on and do you leave it on all year? With the blower and loader I am debating on putting fuild in the tires which are R4. I have heard of some people putting in -25 windshield wash instead of calcium. I live in cold climate so has to have freezing capabilities. I don't think the windsheild wash would be corrosive.

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us | Stumble This

09-13-2000, 13:46 Post: 19771
Chuck

Filter by User
 JD 4300 Winter Items

I have 4300 4WD HST with 430 loader. I would highly recommend having as much rear weight as possible when the loader is attached. Last week I almost rolled over when going down a steep hill with empty loader, no ballast and 2 wheel-drive mode. The weight of the loader caused the back wheels to lose all traction so I had no brakes. The tractor simply took off coasting down the hill as fast as gravity could pull it and I had no way to stop it! Take my advice and have fluid put into your rear wheels, attach a ballast box or other heavy rear implement, and also use 4WD when the loader is attached.

00-00-0000, 00:00 Post: 19841
Mark

Filter by User
 JD 4300 Winter Items

Chuck, thanks for the reply. I will definately use ballast of some sort. Talked to a very knowledgable person on chemicals and said windshield wash was a very bad choice. I was told it is corrsive and also very flammable. Waiting for the new 4300 to show up, can't wait to get it. How has your 4300 been for reliablity and power?

Mark

09-18-2000, 19:35 Post: 19885
Chuck

Filter by User
 JD 4300 Winter Items

Mark

Only have 21 hours on the 4300 but so far I've been very pleased with the power and reliability. Moved a rock yesterday with the loader. It was 20"X20"x1'. Guess it weighted at least 500 lbs. Loader picked it up like a feather! Finally got some ballast for my ballast box. Used 8 bags of Quik-Kete at 60 lbs per bag plus some bricks. Makes a big difference. FYI the JD4300 owners manual says to use "a solution of water and calcium chloride" as wheel ballast and that it should be installed by the JD dealer or a tire service store.

09-18-2000, 20:08 Post: 19886
kay

JD 4300 Winter Items

Mark. Your source of information is highly questionable.
How could windshield washer fluid be corrosive and/or explosive if it is used on the windshield of a car???
It does not weigh as much as calcium chloride. Other than that, it works great as added cheap weight in tractor tires. Calcium chloride is more expensive, not easy to do it yourself, and is quite corrosive; although not too bad if kept in the tire (no leaks) and if the tire is filled above the rim so no air gets to the steel rim, assuming there is no tube. But, check it out, so you feel comfortable with your decision.

09-18-2000, 22:54 Post: 19904
Mark

Filter by User
 JD 4300 Winter Items

Chuck, glad you are haveing good luck with your 4300, always good to have positive comments to reinforce my purchase decision.

Kay, what I was told by a individual that actually manufactures windshield wash is that it is possible for vapor to delvolop under the pressure of the tire, since it methanol alcohol. It would take a strange event to ignite this, but possible. As far as being corrsive, the fluid is in a plastic storage bottle in a car. Once sprayed on the windshield the methanol in the windshield wash evaporates rapidly when exposed to the air, so no problem with the car. When stored and not exposed to air I am told this stuff will eat away at metal big time.

09-19-2000, 05:57 Post: 19906
TomG

TP Contributor

JD 4300 Winter Items

I seem to recall a comment awhile back that said some tire repair shops won't work on tire filled with windshield washer fluid. I believe it had to do with enviro regs, maybe in one state, maybe nationally. Good idea to check that out before using windshield fluid.

Windshield washer, CaCl and ethyl-glycol anti-freeze all have disposal problems. CaCl will sterilize the ground and corrode wheels if it leaks. CaCl is often used in tubes. Non-toxic anti-freeze is available, and I'd use that unless the extra weight of CaCl is actually needed. I'm not sure one liquid fill is any more difficult to install than any other.

09-19-2000, 06:57 Post: 19908
Hillbilly

Filter by User
 JD 4300 Winter Items

Mark,I am no help on filling the tires,but if you are as satisfied with your 4300 as I am with my 4400 HST 4x4,you will be quite pleased,its enjoyable to just get out and work with the tractor!!!!
Lots of luck with your 4300
Green is beautiful

00-00-0000, 00:00 Post: 19951
Mark

Filter by User
 JD 4300 Winter Items

Hillbilly, thanks for the positive comment on the green machine. After reading all the negative and problem posts on this and other sites a guy starts to wonder if he made the right choice. How many hours do you have on your 4400? Any problems to date with your tractor? I just attended a hardware trade show, I saw a ton of John Deere items from frig magnets to bird houses to floor tile. Didn't see a single Kabota or NH item.....not quite the same degree of loyality and history. I know I made the right choice!

09-21-2000, 17:50 Post: 19970
Art White

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
 JD 4300 Winter Items

Many people on this and other sites talk about how corrosive calcium is. I wonder why it is the number one ballast used by farmers who make there living of there land? Being a dealer for tractors and having a life time in this buisness I don't worry about it! When we are replacing rims from rust they are on tractors that are at least 30 years old and older. It is the cheapest ballast you can buy. On your bais ply tires you will do fine with it. Radial tires don't do as well with ballast of any kind in them as it reduces the ability of the tire to work.

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > John Deere Review Forum

Thread 19676 Filter by Poster:
Art White 1 | Chuck 2 | harvey 1 | Hillbilly 2 | kay 1 | Kenny 1 | Mark 6 | Roger L. 2 | TomG 1 |

Most Viewed

+ John Deere 2210 Backhoe Review
+ John Deere vs Kubota Compact Tractors
+ John Deere 790 fuel shut-off solenoid failing???
+ John Deere low viscosity HY GARD
+ John Deere JD 4100 Wiring diagram
+ JD 790 or Kubota L3000DT
+ Should I buy a John Deere 4105???
+ John Deere 4300 turns over but won't start
+ John Deere 455 garden tractor
+ Oil Change for Diesel Tractor

Most Discussion

+ John Deere 4300 scuffing......
+ Possible Solution To The 4000
+ Dealer out to lunch
+ Just got my new JD 4410 - Prob