Should I go with the JD4100?: John Deere Review  -- John Deere Tractors Discussion Forum and Review Should I go with the JD4100?: John Deere Review -- John Deere Tractors Discussion Forum

parts   |   manuals   |   discussion   |   photos   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   contact   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index
New As Posted | Active Subjects

www.emerichsales.com - New & Used Equipment
          View Tractors For Sale!

www.partsbynet.com - Lawn and Garden Equipment Parts

Bernardsville Landscape Lighting
Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > John Deere Review Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 09-08-2000, 17:34 Post: 19595
Duane Pearl

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 Should I go with the JD4100?

Here's the deal. My wife and I just bought an old farmhouse and 4 acres. I have just finished putting all of my acreage in grass this summer with my father's heavy equipment, and now I need to take care of it all. I looked around at the three major compact tractor makers, and really could not make a decision based on the available options and accessories for these tractors simply because they all sounded really very impressive. To make a long story short, I decided that a 20 hp model would be large enough for mowing, plowing snow, and some light loader work, and that the JD 4100 and the Kubota 7500 were closest to my price range... The JD being about $600 more. I decided that since both tractors offered me all that I was looking for, I would go with the JD simply for the bragging rights of owning something green. But now that I have seen this web site, I am second guessing my decision. Will I have problems with my new JD? Will I get shafted by a company that doesn't care? Will my dealer abandon me? It's not to late for me to canel my order for the 4100, and as slow as the dealer seems to be, I would almost like to tell him to "go take a leap." I wonder if because the other tractor makers don't have the name like JD that they have to work harder to make quality products, and provide quality service.

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us | Technorati | Furl | Stumble This

09-08-2000, 18:42 Post: 19599
Bird Senter

TP Contributor

Filter by User

Duane, we all have personal preferences. I bought my first Kubota in 1995 after looking at lots of different brands and visiting lots of different dealers. When I moved up to a bigger tractor last year, I didn't even consider the others; just bought another Kubota. But of course I think you should consider all the different ones; at least John Deere, Kubota, and New Holland and see which one you like best.

09-08-2000, 18:56 Post: 19601
Duane Pearl

Filter by User

I guess I don't really have a preference. Until today I just assumed that they were all very high quality machines. But after reading all this negative stuff about JD, I am having second thoughts. I would like to go with the Deere just because of the bragging rights, and perhaps a better trade in value someday down the road... but I don't want to do this if the tractor or the dealer are going to give me trouble. Like I said, I know that companies with lesser known names really have to work harder than the known ones to do business. Take computers for example. Micron computers are probably as high a quality unit as you can buy, as good as or better than Gateway or Dell. But since they are not number 1, they offer much better service, and better pricing... All in hopes of becoming number one so they can reduce their services, and put inferior parts in their products Wink yeah right ... which is a totally different issue.

09-08-2000, 20:14 Post: 19603
Rick Schroeder

I was in the same spot you are in last week ,I also looked at all 3 big tractor mfg.I chose new holland but i think all are very good machines NH offered some nice things the others didn't but that is my pref.also another choice is Case they are making a boomer in red for case dealers everything is the same as boomers just no supersteer.That NH won't give up. Good luck,Rick

09-08-2000, 21:49 Post: 19607
DFB

Duane, I'm going to take the JD position, mainly because I have a 4100 hydro. I am very pleased with with it so far (40 hrs). I also seriously considered both the 7500 and the B2400. The main reasons I went for the DEERE was loader capacity, the position control option on the rockshaft and the pedal arrangement (side by side fwd /reverse & brake on the left) which I really like. The heel/toe arrangement just wasn,t comfortable for me and the the 2400 was being replaced with the 2410,which translated to more $$$ and availability problems. The 4100 has R4's a good comprimise. I've used a 5ft rock rake, a 6ft grader blade, a 4ft rotary mower, and a 50'' tiller all with good results. Also been working on moving 200 yards of stoney sand fill. Half gone half to go. Not what I intended to do but the dozer left for other work and hasn't been back.

09-08-2000, 22:22 Post: 19609
Duane Pearl

Filter by User

I guess I just want to be sure that I am getting the best possible tractor for the money. I have heard of some problems with the 4000 series of JD's, but that those problems only apply to the 4200 and larger models. However, I have seen a few threads here at the ctb relating to hydrostatic tranny problems and some loader/hydraulic difficulties with the 4100. I wonder if those were just isolated incidences or if there is a real problem. There really isn't enough comment on them here at the ctb to really know. I guess that doesn't really affect me because I prefer the gear tranny, and I am not going to get a loader just yet. I don't really feel like financing another $2500. Oh yes, the price that I was given for the 4100 gear with a 54" belly mower and dual scv is $12,580.00 out the door with 8.9% JD financing. Does this sound like an average price for this setup?

09-08-2000, 22:37 Post: 19610
KlayW in MI

Duane, your "bragging rights" comment was how I thought prior to buying. I looked at mostly green. Then something hit me, I'm not buyin' the tractor to brag, I'm buyin it to use. I went and drove the ones I had honed in on and bought the one I liked the most. Just cause I'm wondering, Why did the dealer have to order the 4100? They are all over on the lots here in MI.

09-08-2000, 23:11 Post: 19615
Eddie Watkins

Duane, I have a JD4300 which I bought in March of this year and haven't had a single problem with it. I have about 90 hours on it now. I believe JD had some early production problems with the 4000 series that are pretty well corrected. These problems were never related to the JD4100. I think I would be more concerned with the dealer rather than the tractor regardless of which one you buy.

09-08-2000, 23:19 Post: 19616
JonB

Duane, I've a 4100 (HST) for about 18 months now ... and no complaints. It cuts, grades, hauls, loads great ... usually too fast! I was told the hydro was nowhere as easy as the Kubotas, but a test drive convinced me otherwise--and mine is fantastic. If it was any easier, I wouldn't be able to feel it at all. But I gotta agree with Klay. Green is great for bragging but only if you're proud inside about it. Test drive the different models, test "drive" the dealers, and go with the machine you like best ... not the color. I tested green, orange & blue, and went with green because I liked both the dealer and the machine. But, I won't argue with those who choose other colors. Best of luck. JonB

00-00-0000, 00:00 Post: 19618
Jim Youtz

Filter by User

Duane, I think that you couldn't go wrong with any of the similar-sized units from either JD, New Holland, or Kubota. I would put the 4100 more in the TC21 or the B2400 size class rather than the B7500 (4100 has larger frame size and lift, hydraulic capacities). All of these are good units. I have a 4100 and would highly recommend it. Quality and ease of use appears to be outstanding on the 4100 (I wouldn't say the same thing about the 4200+ sizes). The 4100 is an all Yanmar unit, made in Japan and the quality shows. Sad to say that the US made models appear to have problems (but I understand most of these have been addressed with engineering changes). I have a 54" mid-mount mower, R-4 tires, 52" rototiller, 5' grader blade, one bottom plow, subsoiler (ripper) and a rear scoop. I really love the manuverability of this tractor and am always impressed with the power and torque of this small compact. I'm hoping to add a loader someday. The hydraulic capacity of the 4100 really puts this tractor above others in its size class. I would strongly advise that you get some front weights for use when doing any heavy ground-engaging work with an implement on the 3 pt. I am always amazed at the difference this makes when using my one bottom plow or digging with my rear blade.

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > John Deere Review Forum

Thread 19595 Filter by Poster:
Alan L. Lewis 2 | Bird Senter 2 | Branch 1 | cutter 1 | DFB 1 | Duane Pearl 5 | Eddie Watkins 1 | Jim Piersol 1 | Jim Youtz 2 | JonB 1 | KlayW in MI 1 | Rick Schroeder 1 | Tucker Herbold 1 |

Most Viewed

+ John Deere 2210 Backhoe Review
+ John Deere vs Kubota Compact Tractors
+ John Deere 790 fuel shut-off solenoid failing???
+ John Deere low viscosity HY GARD
+ John Deere JD 4100 Wiring diagram
+ JD 790 or Kubota L3000DT
+ Should I buy a John Deere 4105???
+ John Deere 4300 turns over but won't start
+ John Deere 455 garden tractor
+ Oil Change for Diesel Tractor

Most Discussion

+ John Deere 4300 scuffing......
+ Possible Solution To The 4000
+ Dealer out to lunch
+ Just got my new JD 4410 - Prob