Go Bottom Go Bottom

quot arps quot three point hitch backhoe for JD

View my Photos
Mike in South caroli
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

1999-03-24          1955

I am looking at purchasing a "ARPS" three point hitch backhoe for my john deere and would like to know if this company is still in business. "ARPS" is a division of Chromalloy. If anyone is familiar with this manufacturer or backhoe please drop me a line.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Sam

1999-03-24          1961

Can't comment on the "arps", but, after buying a backhoe for my Kubota, I would recommend to anyone wanting a backhoe to stay away from the 3-point hitch models. Instead, most of the manufacturers I looked at offered an optional subframe assembly to mount the hoe. I went for the subframe and now can't imagine the weight of the backhoe doing anything but damaging my 3-point had I opted to mount it that way. ....

View my Photos
lsheaffer
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

1999-03-24          1963

I'm an Arps & Kelley dealer, although I sell mainly Kelley. Arps is owned & manufactured by Amerequip Corporation, Kiel, Wisconsin. They also make hoes for some of the major tractor co,panies. ....

View my Photos

1999-03-25          2004

Sam, what brand backhoe did you get? What size Kubota? ....

View my Photos
Sam

1999-03-25          2012

I have a B1750. The backhoe is a Woods 6500. It has it's own hydraulics running off of the PTO. The tractor is at the low end of recommended horsepower for the hoe, but it functions well. The only problem I have had is that the tractor is not heavy enough to keep the hoe from pulling it across the ground when digging in hard soil. Have to take small bites, but I have seen big backhoes having the same problem.The hoe is heavy, though, and really makes the rear of the tractor squat. I take it off when I'm not using it for a period and try to keep the feet down when parked to take the weight off of the tractor. I just can't imagine all that weight on the 3-point. ....

View my Photos

1999-03-26          2031

Thanks for the info Sam. The 6500 looks like a good hoe. I read somewhere that the 6500 subframe attaches to the lower arm mounts of the 3Pt hitch. If that is true then isn't the weight on the 3Pt mounts anyway? ....

View my Photos
mike

1999-03-26          2033

Looking at this unit the two cylinders that control the rotation seem extremely loose. The cylinders are held in place with long rods and nuts. The rotation works fine but is very quick and jerky. Will tightening the cylinders help this problem. Seems like it would but not sure if doing so will mess up any adjustments? The rods have springs between the frame and the nut.. so how tight should I get the cylinders? Other that that the hoe works great on my JD. Don't like the weight hanging on the 3 point hitch but I take the weight off when not in use by setting the hoe down on 6" X 6" timbers and letting the out-riggers down. ....

View my Photos
Sam

1999-03-26          2035

Yes and no. The subframe extends forward to the middle of the tractor and is attached to the frame for the front end loader there. Then, you remove the arms from your 3-point and the hoe attaches to the pins right at the tractor. You also attach a bar from under the hoe seat to the center of the 3-point.The other thing that I have heard is that the subframe protects the frame of the tractor from torque (twisting) forces. A year or so ago, I saw a post where the writer said a hoe twisted his tractor nearly in half.That helped me make my decision to purchase the subframe.So yes, some of the weight is still on the 3-point, but not on the arms, only on the pins very close to the frame. And, a lot of the weight (and torque) is held by the subframe.I am still concerned about the overall weight of the hoe on the tractor and keep it off when not using often. When I take it off, the tractor says "thank you". ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login