Go Bottom Go Bottom

Deere 1070 battery light on and smells hot

View my Photos
cyerger57
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2015-11-03          194004

Hello,

First post here. I have a Deere 1070 and I was using it to mow with an 8' flail mower. I've used this mower for a number of years. I don't think the issue is because of the mower but thought I'd mention it. I was running through a fallow field and the tractor started smelling really hot so I shut her down. I noticed that the battery light was on before shutting down. I waited about 20 minutes and she started right up but the battery light was still on. Went about 1/2 mile and it started smelling real hot again so I shut her down and waited another 20. She started right back up after and I was able to get to the top of the hill behind my barn so I shut her down and drifted home. I've checked all the fluids and all look good and the smell was more of an electrical smell anyway. I'm assuming it's not the battery because she starts right up each time. I understand electricity but I really don't know where to start looking for the issue.

Any ideas or suggestions would be welcome.

I have the tractor for about 5 years and never a lick of trouble. I do the fluid maintenance myself and she's had regular fluid changes for her entire life. I know the previous owner real well and he introduced me to where he had it serviced. It had regular service it's entire life. Just giving as much info as I can.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Chris

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2015-11-03          194007

If you had electrical circuit that was hot enough to smell think something would have shown such as blown fuse or something not working. Now could it be the alternator is clogged due to trash in the field you are cutting and it is not charging as the smell is from it? Could it even be fan belt slipping? My understanding is when battery light is on it shows system not charging or low voltage. Not the condition of the battery. Now there could be systems that check that also today.

I would also check the air filter and intake from trash in there from the mowing and also the radiator. The smell could be air blown trash from the fallow field.

One other point, if the tractor is running hot with load think the proper thing to do at least to suit JD is to remove the load and allow it to cool before shutting it down. I know my manual warns other wise about potential damage. ....

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2015-12-30          194264

Loose fan belt? ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login