Go Bottom Go Bottom

John Deere 4x2 Battery Will Not hold Charge Belt Squeals

View my Photos
Mosko2312
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2014-04-22          190156

Ever since I had my son clean my 2002 John Deere 4 X 2, the battery no longer holds a charge and once I have it jump started, the belt squeals very loud for a period of time. The tractor also does not have the speed and acceleration that it once did. I have hooked up to a charger right now to keep the battery charged. Any ideas or suggestions? Thank you. - Robert

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
joyce1

2014-04-23          190161

Are we talking about a tractor or a Gator?

When you say cleaned do you mean it was hosed and or pressure washed on the engine? with or without what cleaning agents?

Be careful around that battery sounds like you have a short. I would disconnect the terminals when charging it until you determine where the short is. ....

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2014-04-25          190172

We have a JD 4X2 not quite that old and did not realize it has a belt other than the drive belt. But if it is slipping would guess it would squeal and it would travel slower and weaker pulling.

My guess is as I think joyce1 is asking did he use a chemical that could have made the belt slip (one of my son in laws asked if I wanted him to spray a belt to prevent it squealing this week, glad I asked with what and he was talking about WD 40). I would also guess the chemical or the washing has created enough of electrical path to slowly drain the batter or has damage the generator so it is not charging when being run. OR the battery just happened to finally fail at the same time frame. Pull the ground cable off and charge the battery, the disconnect the charger and wait a couple of days and try and see if it has held the charge. If so doubt it is the battery. ky ....

View my Photos
Mosko2312

2014-04-28          190210

Thank you both. It's a John Deere Gator 4 X 2. No cleaning chemicals/solutions were used, just copious amounts of water from the garden hose. Yes, he did 'clean' the engine really, really, good. - Robert ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login