Go Bottom Go Bottom

John Deere 790

View my Photos
Barry Huff
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-08-20          18998

I need some advice concerning the replacement of my 1980's IH 184 lowboy. I use it to mow 4 acres of new yard. It works fine, but lacks a 3pt hitch. So I am considering getting a JD 790 with a 72" 3pt finish mower. I like gear tractors and I have a limited budget. After shopping around alittle, it seems that I can get a new 790 for near the used prices of the older JD's. I will use the tractor mainly to mow, with a 5' blade, and to get a small garden ready. Is the JD 790 the machine best suited to these needs for the money!!! What can I expect to pay for a 2wd bare bones 790??? Lastly, does a JD finish mower have any advantages over the Woods. Does anyone have any recommendations for finish mowers???

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

John Deere 790

View my Photos
Jack in IL

2000-08-20          19005

Barry--Since a primary use of the tractor is going to be mowing, I would strongly urge that you get the 4WD version since it has independent PTO. The 2WD does not have independent PTO. Independent PTO makes a night and day difference in mowing. Tractor resale value will also be much higher. ....

John Deere 790

View my Photos
John Weaver

2000-08-20          19008

I have a JD 790 and like it. I also like a gear transmission for the cost savings. I paid $12,000. for the tractor, 4WD, hydraulics for future front end loader, liquid filled tires, R4 industrial tires, 5 front weights and delivery (not including tax). I have seen the JD 790, 4WD with standard ag. tires on the JD web site for $10,995. Seems like a good deal for a 30 HP tractor to me. I agree that 4 WD will be your best investment. John. ....

John Deere 790

View my Photos
Kevin K

2000-08-21          19029

Barry, I was in the same situation, and I am not sorry I picked a 790. I mow 4 acres of lawn with a 72" Farm King mower, I also roto till about 1 acre with a 60" tiller. The tractor is not undersized, plenty of power. I agree with John and Jack, go for the 4WD. I decided to squeeze the bank account a little more for 4WD and turf tires. The countineous live PTO is worth the few extra $$ for the 4WD. I use 4WD when I till. I like my finishing mower because it has 4 wheels, the tractor basically pulls it and I get a prety good cut. You will not find any other tractor with a Contineous live PTO, 4WD and 30 hp for this money, compaired to what you have to spend on other tractors to get these features, the 790 is a good deal. ....

John Deere 790

View my Photos
Barry Huff

2000-08-21          19040

I appreciate the responses. This board is a great place to learn about Compact Tractors. I have about settled on a 790. However, I am not sure I can swing a 4w drive with my tight budget. Should I not even bother to get a 790 and opt for a smaller conventional mower if all I could get is the two wheel drive version ???? What benefit would the 4wd provide for mowing??? I can appreciate the resale part of it, but the 4wd option would use up the money that I was planning to use to buy a 72 " finishing mower. One additional question, is it customary for the JD dealer to charge $ 110 to unload and another $ 120 to set up the Tractor. Is this normal, or should I try to negotiate this point. ....

John Deere 790

View my Photos
Jack in IL

2000-08-21          19047

The primary benefit you need is the independent PTO. That only comes with the 4WD version. The 4WD provides a safety benefit of providing downhill braking if you have slopes to mow. I recommend you think creatively about financing options so that you could swing the deal to get independent PTO now. You definitely won't regret it later. The Unload and Setup charges are usually just blended into the negotiated price. However, the dealer has less money to negotiate with on the 790 (price leader) than other tractors so I wouldn't expect much movement on his part. On the finish mower deck, be sure to get one that has 4 gauge wheels and a floating hitch to assure a level cut. Good Luck. ....

John Deere 790

View my Photos
Jim Youtz

2000-08-21          19054

Barry, another couple of reasons I would strongly suggest that you get 4wd is versatility. It really is the difference between easily doing some tasks and not being able to do it at all. Also, loaders don't perform well with 2wd tractors. I had the same lines of thinking as you when I was shopping for my 4100 last winter. But now I've come up with dozens of chores that I never thought I had a need to do, and I'm saving for a loader (that I never thought I'd want or need). One last reason to get 4wd is resale value. 4wd diesel compact tractors have a very high resale value for many years (actually as long as they still run -my shopping indicates that a 10 year old tractor will resell for 75% of the original purchase price). 2wd diesel tractors do not move quickly on the resale market and do not hold their value very well. ....

John Deere 790

View my Photos
Henry McCreary

2000-08-29          19278

I purchased a JD 790 last spring and absolutely love it! I've got the JD 60" Belly Mover and the 70 Loader. I'm able to "mow around the house" and get a clean 1/2" cut, with no ruts from my turf tires. I also mow 12 acres of fields on a regular basis with out any problems. Good mowing in the tight spots is purely a function of speed..... I've got the 4wd, dual range / 4 speed transmission. The loader works fine for lightweight work. I don't have anything in the tires (e.g. saline solution) for weight, so heavy jobs with the loader are quite difficult...... the turf tires slip alot. I need more weight, better tires, or chains for the heavy work.

I paid $15,900 for this 790, which had 40 hours on it when I bought it. Based on my research last spring, I think I got a pretty fair deal. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login