Go Bottom Go Bottom

JD 790 springtime start up problems

View my Photos
JKWill
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2014-03-22          189720

Hey guys...first post.

JD 790 (13-14 year old-600 hours). Do all normal maintenance. Ran my fuel tank dry 12-15months ago. Filled with good fresh fuel and installed new battery . Fired right up, but throttle control had no effect on RPMs, which went to max (2500ish) and stayed there despite throttle position for about 15 seconds, then slowly and steadily decreased until it just shut off. Pulled side cover, cleaned and lubricated linkage, Fuel filter had little use and looked good, but I replaced it anyway and cleaned (barely dirty) air filter.

The dash lights come on normally,It CLICKS very loud and the starter cranks likes it's brand new. But it will not fire. Not a lick.

I cycled all the levers and switches several times, checked the one under the seat (positionally, not electrically).

Any ideas? Poor as a church mouse and had a little cutting job would have provided a couple of desperately needed Benjamins.

Bought the battery and downloaded a repair manual with that in mind, but now I'm just stuck and she is mad and cancelled job...sigh. City folks.

Still need a working tractor out here Could really use some help.

JW

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
treeman
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2014-03-22          189721

Did you bleed the fuel lines since you ran it out of fuel? Do that first. Sometimes last resort is full throttle while cranking until it fires. ....

View my Photos
jdgreen
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2014-03-22          189727

First of all, I don't recommend running a diesel out of fuel for storage purposes. Running out of fuel is never a good thing since the fuel is the lubricant for the pump. Running it dry and then sitting for a period of time dry could have seized the pump. With that said, when you had the side cover off, did you crank the engine over while it was open? You should be able to see the injection pump plungers moving up and down wile engine is cranking. If plungers are not moving, it will never start. SInce you say it ran briefly, I assume you bled out the system. I would still try bleeding again as long as pump plungers are working. There could still be a pocket of trapped air. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login