Go Bottom Go Bottom

John Deere 5020 PTO hook-up with my new bushog

View my Photos
Billy Henderson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-08-12          18771

I have a John Deere 5020, which I purchased at an action a year ago (the tractor is fairly old). I finally got a bushhog (fifteen footer) for the tractor and when I went to hook the PTO of the bushog to the tractor, I had a shocking surprise! The PTO on the tractor is a 1000 RPM with a 20 spine PTO staff where my bushhog as the 540 RPM 6 spline staff. An adapter is not an option so I was wondering, does the 5020 model have the capability of interchangeable ptos? Or am I left with the possibility of buying another tractor.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
dave piper

2000-08-12          18792

Billy. I wish I had a defintive answer to your question but my memory of the 3010 is not that great. I do know that it and the 20 series had both 540 and 1000 rpm pto speeds. I think the shaft was pulled outof the tractor and replaced bywith the six spline. Be damned if I can remember how it was released or how the speed was changed. I will be talking to my brother tommorow, maybe he can remeber how it was done on his 4020. Look the tractor over real close and it might be apparent. It looks like you have enough tractor for that mower,133PTO Hp. out of a 531 cubic inch engine. Tractor was built from 1966 to 1972. I will try to get an answer, but probably some of the other old coots on this forum already have one. regard, Dave. ....

View my Photos
RickB.

2000-08-13          18798

Your tractor has no 540 rpm PTO capability, only 1000rpm. You can adapt your 1 3/4" 20 spline shaft to the more common 1 3/8" 21 spline 1000rpm drive shaft. It is possible to adapt to the 1 3/8 6 spline used @ 540 rpm, which your cutter has, but DO NOT DO THIS. You will not be able to run the tractor over about 1100 engine rpm without overspeeding your cutter (Hazardous). You have only 3 options: 1; buy a tractor with a 540 PTO. 2; buy a cutter with set up to run @ 1000 PTO rpm with the 1 3/4-20 shaft. 3; take your cutter's model # serial # to a dealer for that brand, find out if it canbe converted to 1000 RPM w/ your shaft size, and at what cost. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login