Deere 2320 2520 4110 and 4115 front axle failure: John Deere Review  -- John Deere Tractors Discussion Forum and Review Deere 2320 2520 4110 and 4115 front axle failure: John Deere Review -- John Deere Tractors Discussion Forum

parts   |   manuals   |   discussion   |   photos   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   contact   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index
New As Posted | Active Subjects

www.emerichsales.com - New & Used Equipment
          View Tractors For Sale!

www.partsbynet.com - Lawn and Garden Equipment Parts

Bernardsville Landscape Lighting
Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > John Deere Review Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 05-29-2013, 17:51 Post: 187107
DRankin

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 Deere 2320,2520,4110 and 4115 front axle failure

Just got some bad news from my dealer.

Yesterday I dropped the 4115 off to repair an oil leak on the front axle and what I thought would be a couple of cheap seals and some shop time has turned into a real problem.

Seems this axle was badly designed. Apparently the spindle is poorly supported and wobbles in use which eats up the oil seals and will eventually destroy the axle housing.

The good news is my axle housing is still intact.

The bad news is that it is going to cost about $1800-$2000 for both sides of the axle to install the retrofit Deere designed to address the design problem.

Just got off the phone with the national service center.....
No Help There.

Their computer doesn't even show there is an issue ever though the dealer (who I trust) is saying there is a re-engineered kit with extra bearings.

I could find no mention of the axle failures online or in these archives. If anyone else has had experience with this issue please let me know.

I will keep you all posted on developments.

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us | Stumble This

05-30-2013, 22:59 Post: 187120
kwschumm

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Mark, it's good to know you are still alive and kicking but I'm sorry to hear about the axle troubles. How many hours are on it now? There probably isn't a mechanical item made that doesn't have an "opportunity for improvement" somewhere but that sounds like a bad one.

The local small town JD dealer sold out to Hyster so I am hoping to avoid such problems with my tractor. So far, so good, knock on wood.

05-31-2013, 09:56 Post: 187128
DRankin

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Good to hear from you too.......

The tractor has about 450 hours on it over ten years. It has otherwise been virtually trouble free.

I have not seen the parts yet, but from what I have been told the bottom on the steering spindle is supported by a bearing assembly while the top has only a bronze bushing and an oil seal.

I have moved many tons of dirt and rocks with the front loader in and out of tight spaces over rough ground and it sounds like those tight, heavily loaded turns may have accelerated the wear.

Perhaps if it was used primarily as a mower not a dirt mover it would have worn less rapidly.

In any case, the guys at the dealer say the new set-up looks much stronger and will definitely take the wobble out of the system.

Are you still doing the logging/tree farm thing? Seems like your more complex Deere is coming up on ten years now too...
(boy does time fly or what?)..... how is all that electronic stuff holding up?

05-31-2013, 11:05 Post: 187129
DennisCTB

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Hi Mark

Good to hear from you.

I was on my tractor last night and I realized it is 9 years old now and about 400 hours.... so when is it that you start to have problems ? Now?

Hmmmm I got to thinking do people trade in for a new unit around now? I think I will be waiting another 5 years when the kids finish school. Then I'll probably downsize .... the house ... land etc....

Good luck with the repair.

05-31-2013, 21:13 Post: 187137
kwschumm

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

My 4310 hasn't given me any trouble other than normal maintenance. The only thing fixed was the instrument panel was replaced early on due to fogging but the new one has had no such problem. The skid plate probably prevented a lot of trouble by protecting all the under-chassis wiring harnesses. I have about 350 hours on it but after initially building trails and cleaning up around the property it has been mostly used for mowing, spraying and towing the big chipper around as needed. I stopped cutting firewood and now just chip everything since my wife's asthma flares up any time we burn. Enough firewood for emergencies and that's about it. The backhoe will get another workout this year as I build another retaining wall.

Overall, no complaints here. I hope to avoid problems such as you had but my guess is the front axle is of similar design to yours based on inspection. It does look like bronze bushings on the top end.

06-02-2013, 16:46 Post: 187163
cutter

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Sorry to hear of that issue. IMHO it makes it harder to swallow when the manufacturer knows of the problem and provides an improved kit to fix the issue without consideration for the few that may have to pay the full shot for a repair. Granted it's well out of warranty, but still, a design defect might warrant a discount on the parts or labor to maintain good customer relations.

06-03-2013, 14:50 Post: 187188
DRankin

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Hi all.... thanks for the feedback.

Cutter, you will be pleased to know that someone (I think it was the local dealer) took some pity on me. The final bill was $1358.00, still a big number but better than the first estimates.

Dennis........ I really expect these tractors to last thousands of hours not hundreds. If you drove your car around town for 400 hours you might only have 12-14,000 miles on the odometer. But then again, time and UV take a toll on rubber hoses, tires and such. I guess if I think of spreading the maintenance and this repair over ten years it seems a bit more reasonable.

Also, I now have the official "solution summary" from Deere and I need to change the title of this thread but the normal edit function will not allow that.

Also, apparently the 4100 is not included in this issue but others are, so please change the title to:

"Deere 2320,2520,4110 and 4115 front axle failure."

Thanks........ Mark

06-03-2013, 16:28 Post: 187190
Murf

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Mark,

I seem to remember a few years back this problem came up as well at the time the factory gave an extended warranty because they initially blamed it on the front end loader but since the loader is a Deere product as well that didn't hold water very well.

Try googling something like "John Deere front end loader causes problems" and see if something comes up.

We had front axle bearing problems with a few of our Kubota's a number of years ago and at the time they tried to say it was from over loading the front end loader. However I was able to quickly show them that the forces would bend the loader far before they would break the front wheel bearings. They didn't want to try and fight that battle. It only happened for one model years worth of tractors and almost every one of that year that we had bought never again never before so I suspect there was a out of spec problem.

Best of luck.

06-03-2013, 22:46 Post: 187201
kthompson

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Just wondering if this is a model JD makes or contracts out?

06-04-2013, 09:53 Post: 187208
DRankin

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

I was always under the impression that the listed models and a couple others like the 4100 and the 790 were basically "Green Yanmars", made and assembled in Japan.

The 4200/10 through 4500/10's were a mixture of Yanmar engines and american parts assembled in america.

Update..... apparently the steering spindle inside the front axle was originally designed with a sealed bearing at the top and a combination of a "wet" bearing backed by a bronze bushing on the bottom.

It was this lower bushing/bearing combo that wore out. The engineering fix is to replace this lower assembly with double wet bearings.

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > John Deere Review Forum

Thread 187107 Filter by Poster:
cutter 1 | deere_x475guy 1 | DennisCTB 1 | DRankin 6 | kthompson 1 | kwschumm 2 | Murf 1 | sean882 1 |

Most Viewed

+ John Deere 2210 Backhoe Review
+ John Deere vs Kubota Compact Tractors
+ John Deere 790 fuel shut-off solenoid failing???
+ John Deere low viscosity HY GARD
+ John Deere JD 4100 Wiring diagram
+ JD 790 or Kubota L3000DT
+ Should I buy a John Deere 4105???
+ John Deere 4300 turns over but won't start
+ John Deere 455 garden tractor
+ Oil Change for Diesel Tractor

Most Discussion

+ John Deere 4300 scuffing......
+ Possible Solution To The 4000
+ Dealer out to lunch
+ Just got my new JD 4410 - Prob