Go Bottom Go Bottom

790 4x4 front axle leaking

View my Photos
bmlekki
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2012-08-13          184633

Hello,
Been awhile since my last post. I have about 684 hours on the tractor now.

My front right axle is leaking the gear oil out. I looked at the parts manual on JD.com and I didn't see a seal to be replaced. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks,
Brian

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2012-08-13          184635

I'm not sure if they used the same front axle but I had the left hub leak on my 4310 at about the same hours as you have. If the hubs are the same ther are about eight or ten capscrews around the outside of the gearcase that holds it together.
Remove the front wheel, take the eight or ten capscrews out to pull the gearcase apart. Mine had all but no play in the bearings and the seal next to the outside en of the hub looked fine but I replaced it anyway. The leak stopped even tho the old seal showed no wear or damage, an there was no wear on the shaft where the seal rides.
It was an easy fix, but I still haven't figured out why it leaked in the first place. You will need a tube of some special Deere sealant that goes around the outside of the seal and also between the two halves of the casting, there is no gasket.

Frank. ....

View my Photos
bmlekki
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2012-08-13          184636

Thanks Frank,

Did you purchase a "John Deere" seal kit or did you use something else?

Brian ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2012-08-13          184637

Brian;

I got the seal and the tube of sealant at a Deere Dealer parts counter. It wasn't a seal kit, just the individual parts.
If the innards are the same as mine you will need a good snap ring pliers. There is a stiff snap ring that holds the bearings, the drive gear, and a spacer on the shaft. This assembly has to come apart to get the shaft out of the housing where the outer seal is located. If you are anything like me the snap ring may go "KaZing" and be lost forever, so it might not hurt to get a spare when you get the new seal.
As I said before the old seal looked like new, there was no play in the bearings, but replacing the seal fixed it.

Frank. ....

View my Photos
bernieb

2016-09-24          195817

Brian I am having the same issue with my 790, about the same hours, left front gear box. Had the right replaced under warranty when it had about 30 hours, but there were more issues than a leak on the right. Can you advise what you went thru on repair? Thanks Bernie ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login