Go Bottom Go Bottom

JD 970 wet brake issue

View my Photos
lutherblue
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2012-03-28          182913

I recenlty purchased a 970 (1991 2WD)that had been neglected for years. I've spent 10 hrs cleaning rats nests and "mess" from the engine compartment and running new wire that the little beggers chewed up - changed oil and filter and she started right up!
Now the bigger problem. Brakes are locked up and sound horrible - also hydrolics are not operable (no steering or three point function) the fluid looks like cofee with too much cream.
I obviously need to replace brakes and will attempt to do this myself. I've ordered a tech manual, but would welcome advice from others who have done this. Such as: what else, other than filters and fluid and brakes, should I address during this process?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

JD 970 wet brake issue

View my Photos
lutherblue

2012-03-28          182914

I found this 2002 post from, JD110_1963:

"Actually the 870,970,and 1070 switched to wet disk brakes. Normally these brakes can be expected to last a very long time. I don't recall ever replacing any since 70 series came out. I would suspect contaminated transmission fluid or improper type of fluid. Wet brakes(and clutches) require fluid that has friction modifiers built in for smooth operation of clutches and brakes. I would recommend changing the fluid and filter. While you are at it, remove the sump screen and see if there is any brake lining material on the screen. If the fluid is contaminated with water or other incorrect fluids, you may need to change the fluid twice to get rid of all contaminants. If you do happen to find brake material on the screen, the final drives need to be removed to access the brakes. There are three brake disks per side and the disks cost around $75 - 80 each. ther are also separator plates that may need replacing at around $40 each. Good luck!"

great info. would welcome other comments/advice.

JD 970 wet brake issue

View my Photos
lutherblue

2012-03-28          182916

Wow, it's like I'm conversing with myself here ;)
thought id update - spoke with a mechanic at a JD dealership. He said the problem is likely not with the brakes (tractor has only 953 hrs), but dirt and crud where the linkage goes into the housing. this, of course, would not allow the brakes to fully release. ? ....

JD 970 wet brake issue

View my Photos
jdgreen

2012-04-01          182957

Do the brake pedals release after you press them down? If not, then you may have frozen linkage. That still does not explain the no hydraulics issue. A sump screen plugged with brake material or other debris would. Have you removed the sump screen yet? If not, I would recommend removing it and cleaning it. Also replace the filter and transmission fluid. Then see if the hydraulics come back to life. ....

JD 970 wet brake issue

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2012-04-02          182967

Fluid that looks like too much cream makes me think you have water in it. First need to find the soucre of the water (no idea on JD but being parked in rain for long time may have allowed rain into to system) change the fluid and filters. Then hope a filter was not letting the fluid pass through it do to water damage.

Yes pedals should return when you release foot pressure which would make me think JD mechanic is correct. On my Kubotas I keep spraying such points where linkage connects and enters transmission. ....

JD 970 wet brake issue

View my Photos
lutherblue

2012-04-04          182990

Thanks for the comments.
Update is...
After disconnecting the linkage on the brakes and knocking them around a little and using penetrating oil - i then changed the hydro fluid, cleaned the screen (no brake particles, but plenty of what looked like congealed latex) and changing the filter there was good function with both brakes and three point.
i still have some "whining" with the steering, but power steering is back also. i will do another hydro change / screen cleaning soon (i think this should clear any remaining water from the system).
One issue remains - I have one wire I cannot trace. It is the one splitting off the main wiring harness as it comes from the engine compartment back through the firewall. It is the only single wire splitting off the harness and is red with a bright blue stripe. i cannot find where that little bugger is supposed to go. Does anyone have a 970 that could look at their tractor and give me some help? ....

JD 970 wet brake issue

View my Photos
lutherblue

2012-04-04          182991

The wire issue.
i should mention, the wire was also (prior to the rat chewing it up) encased in a black sleeve. I'll try to post a picture. ....

JD 970 wet brake issue

View my Photos
lutherblue

2012-04-04          182994

here is a picture of the wire in question... ....

Picture Link
John Deere Tractors JD 970 wet brake issue

JD 970 wet brake issue

View my Photos
lutherblue

2012-04-04          182995

try again? ....

Picture Link
John Deere Tractors JD 970 wet brake issue

JD 970 wet brake issue

View my Photos
lutherblue

2012-04-04          182996

what is pictured:
the bracket is what holds the fuse box, which has been removed. The wire in question is the one in the upper left portion of that area - you can see it just ends. i cannot find where it should connect. it was shrouded in that black casing, but the wire inside the shroud is red with a blue stripe. ....

JD 970 wet brake issue

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2012-04-05          183012

Quote:
Originally Posted by lutherblue | view 182990
[QUOTE=lutherblue;182990] i still have some "whining" with the steering, but power steering is back also. i will do another hydro change / screen cleaning soon (i think this should clear any remaining water from the system).

One issue remains - I have one wire I cannot trace. It is the one splitting off the main wiring harness as it comes from the engine compartment back through the firewall. It is the only single wire splitting off the harness and is red with a bright blue stripe. i cannot find where that little bugger is supposed to go. Does anyone have a 970 that could look at their tractor and give me some help? [/QUOTE]

First off the whining noise, it's not unusual to have that sort of noise until you purge all the air out of the steering box and lines. The usual way to do that is to take the idle up to ~1,300 - 1,500 rpm and with the tractor sitting still turn the steering wheel full lock left to full lock right several times, holding it against the stop each time for 3 to 5 seconds. This will cause the air to be worked up the return line and to the sump.

As for the wire, I wouldn't get to excited unless you have some electrical function missing, it's pretty common to have a single wiring harness for a given tractor model. That wire may be for extra (optional) lights or something your unit just isn't equipped with.

My Kubota's have dozens of 'extra' wires on them in various places, some in some really odd places.

Best of luck. ....

JD 970 wet brake issue

View my Photos
lutherblue

2012-04-05          183024

thanks for the advice ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This