Go Bottom Go Bottom

Tractor Tire Rim Guard and wheel weights

View my Photos
Hettric
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2012-01-03          181865

Hi,
I have a JD 755-rear tire size 33x12.5x15-turf. I had them filled with Rim Guard for added chart weight of 245# each.
Two questions; Unloading the tires I noticed one is filled quite a lot more than the other - is this a problem?
Can I also use wheel weights? The JD loader owners manual indicates no wheel weights on turf tires, why?
I was hoping not to continue to use the ballast box, but this isn't nearly enough to replace it's 700+# hanging way back there.
Thanks

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2012-01-03          181866

No wheel weights for turf tires because of the big flexible sidewalls. Tire ballast is for traction and lateral (side to side) stability. Three point ballast boxes are for longitudinal stability on front loader-equipped tractors.

Take the tractor back to your RimGuard dealer. For best operation, both should have been filled to the 75% mark. That means filling with the valve stem at the 12 o'clock position until they can't get any more in.

//greg// ....

View my Photos
Hettric
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2012-01-03          181879

Thank you for the info, I thought the squishy sidewalls might be the issue on the wheel weights. Trouble is, I cannot understand how the turfs could know whether the weight is bolted to the rim or hanging on the three point. ....

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2012-01-04          181884

Gravity alone causes wheel weights to compress sidewalls. Hydraulic pressure alone (from liquid ballast) supports sidewalls from the inside. But adding wheel weights to ballasted turf tires may negate that support. Another thing; once the RimGuard seller tops up your tires equally, they should finish by adding air to bring up the combined pressure to that specified in your manual.

//greg// ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login