Go Bottom Go Bottom

Advice on Tractor

View my Photos
Steven777
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2011-08-13          179812

I am beginning to shop for a tractor to replace my old Massey 175. I need it for brush hogging and moving big bales. Because of the mud and snow in the bottom it would be helpful to have front wheel assist. 60 to 80 horse power is the likely size and price is a factor. Any suggestions appreciated.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Advice on Tractor

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2011-08-13          179815

Sounds like the requirements are 4WD, lockable differential(s) and ag-tread tires (rears ballasted). For economy you want the least HP that will do the job, and here you might be over-reaching. Research bale weights, how best to carry them (usually a front-loader spike) and what lift-capacity would be required.

Brush-hogging can be taken for granted and keeping a rear-mount one on will help balance a front load. ....

Advice on Tractor

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2011-08-13          179818

You thinking new or used. The best suggestion I have is one you can get parts and service for in your area. Very important is you must depend on it but not as much if it can be down a couple weeks waiting on parts. ....

Advice on Tractor

View my Photos
Steven777
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2011-08-13          179821

I would like to find a low houred tractor rather thank a new one. It looks like it doesn't matter a great deal on the price around here though. I have a Massey dealer close but have had little luck finding a used tractor that fits the bill there. They have the 2600 series there new and they look nice. Still talking a minimum of 45K with a cab and loader. The cab is optional for me but the loader is necessary. I have heard great things about Kubotas and of course John Deere's reputaion is great but it looks like the 5000 series gets mixed reviews. Thanks for any insight. ....

Advice on Tractor

View my Photos
auerbach

2011-08-14          179823

Yes, a front loader is highly useful, and best to already have on the tractor when you get it. Sounds like you're not in a rush, so learn where used ones come up in your area (equipment auctions, Kijiji, Craig's, ebay, farm and similar publications, .... The more you look, the more you'll narrow down what you might like, and then you can do a google search for those models. Eventually the right one at the right price will show up.

Find out what documentation (operators, service and parts manuals) come with or are available with a used tractor. Grey market models are cheaper but can be harder to maintain. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login