Go Bottom Go Bottom

Looking for turf tiresandrims for 4110

View my Photos
DennoAce
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2011-04-02          177757

Hey all,

Anyone happen to have these or know of? My dealer wanted $1400 for set..that seems very high to me. I have AGs now and since I just bought a finish mower, thought I may want to change em. I would settle for R4s if I had to...

Thanks!

ps Im in Southern Maine...would travel a couple hundred miles if need be...

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2011-04-03          177764

I don't think the quote is out of line but confirm that it includes mounting. You could ask them to throw in liquid ballast for the rears, as well as delivery and switch-over.

If you do snow work, getting chains for them would be easier than switching back and give better traction. ....

View my Photos
DennoAce

2011-04-10          177872

Hey thanks for the help ....

View my Photos
DennoAce

2011-04-10          177873

So just now I thought, might as well ask one more time...does anyone out there know of these anywhere used? I am having no luck so far online or locally... willing to pay reasonable price+shipping if need be..

Thanks!

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2011-04-10          177882

Hoye Tractor in Texas was promoting turf sets at a discount, but I don't know if they have stock left or if his rims would fit Deeres. ....

View my Photos
DennoAce

2011-04-11          177910

thanks for the tip! ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2011-04-21          178096

I have part of what you need gathering dust in the shed, the original R-4's off my 4115.

The fronts are still mounted on rims but the rears are off the rim.

They might however, fit on your current rear rims and if they don't ......Deere uses a pretty common rear rim.... the fronts are impossible to find in any color but yellow.

It would be a long ship.... I live in Nevada. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2011-04-21          178098

I assume your ag tires are rutting the lawn? If you have not tested them you may be fine. But two other options and neither may work...see what tires fit your rims that offer different tread design. There is more than one design in some tire sizes. Read somewhere once about a person who found a truck (off road) that worked for him. That should save the cost of rims. If your tractor is 4 wheel drive be careful in changing the outside diameter of the tires. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2011-04-21          178103

I have some experience with that too.

On my 4100 I swapped the skinny little front Ag tires for a tiny 12 inch M&S radial and matched the rear with a 16 inch truck tire. It worked pretty well.

I still have the front/rear conversion numbers written down. ....

View my Photos
DennoAce

2011-04-23          178136

kt and DR,

Well those are some ideas I never thought of and thanks..although I have not tried the AGs on the lawn yet (just moved here), that was the plan if I had no other choice, and just be careful with turns, etc. so maybe it won't be as bad as I think and problem solved. We'll see..the growing is beginning!

However, a good part of this lawn is really wet and soft, and sometimes standing water, so I know I'm going to sink with my skinny little AGs, which is why I was thinking swap to wides for the summer. Of course you can't beat the R1s for loader work, etc. which is what this tractor did prior to the move. I bought a used landpride 4 foot finish mower (rear), and am also wondering how this will work (I was thinking five foot to get some overlap, but this is what was out there for my budget).

DR, just for the heck of it, how much you thinkin for the front rim/tires, and what shape are they in? maybe I could just use those in the front and find another option for the rear. The fronts are so skinny that is my main concern anyway.. as far as shipping I would guess maybe under $60 in two seperate boxes ups? ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2011-04-24          178140

Denno.... a couple of questions first:

My 4100/Gear had 16 inch rear rims with Ag's but current 4115/HST came with 16.5 rims and R-4's. Are your rears 16's?

Also I see in your profile that you might have the Gear model?

BTW... the tires and wheels are as-new.... they still have the little rubber whiskers. R-4's are so totally useless in my book the I just replaced them as soon as I could when I got the new tractor. ....

View my Photos
DennoAce

2011-05-01          178268

DR,

Yes my rears are 9.5-16s.

I have used R4s before on a 580 Case and though they are no match at all for R1s in the mud, etc. I didn't think they were that bad. Why do you dislike them so?

I love my R1s but just yesterday tried the finish mower I bought, and as I thought they rutted everywhere. I was just thinking the R4s would be a good compromise, and was thinking maybe change just the fronts, if the ratios are right. Any idea if this will work? (R1 in back, R3 or 4 in front) I know you have to match the sizes but not sure what your tire dimensions are, I have none to measure.

I do have the gear 4110.

I was also thinking of just getting the wider rims new from deere and getting some radial truck/car tires thrown on the front like you did to save some money. I assume you like vehicle tires on your tractor? Had any problems?

Sorry to ask so many questions..haha..but I guess if shipping would make sense I may be interested in your tires/rims..even if just to get the rims for me it may be worth it.

If you want to email me directly its dennoace@gmail.com

Thanks!

ps In case anyone cares, I was impressed with the landpride finish mower that I bought used for $900.

View my Photos
DRankin

2011-05-01          178276

I dislike R-4s for several reasons.

They don’t work well on sandy hillsides and that’s where I live, R-1s don’t work here at all, they become stationary roto-tillers while the R-4s act more like slicks.

With R-4’s in place I had to keep the 4wd engaged all the time to drive on my land. With the Radials on the rear I can do 95% of my work in 2wd. The difference is that stark.

And the R-4 ride quality is horrible… even painful, and if you ever lose tire pressure on R-4’s it takes some serious pro type response to get those beads back on the rim. If you do eventually go to a M/S Radial you will be amazed at the soft ride and the improved traction (except if you are working the proverbial muddy springtime pasture…. R-1s rule there).

I would be willing to sell everything at a reasonable price… and you would have to locate some 16.5 rims for the rears. Or…… I would be willing to part out just the front rims.

That way if I ever sell my tractor I can offer a full set of extra tires to fit existing rims.

If you choose to get the front rims only, I would recommend you mount a 22x9-12 turf and then find a suitable 33x12.5-16 Mud/Snow Radial or similar tire for your existing rear rims. I will post a link below so you can see what the tire might look like.

You can also go with a 23 or 24 inch turf on the front and match it with an even taller tire on the rear but if you are doing heavy loader work you will find that the 24 inch turfs want to roll off the rims on tight turns with heavy loader loads. That’s why I down-sized to the 22/33 combo: Shorter/stiffer sidewalls.

Briefly stated, my tests on a 4100 Gear and on a 4115 HST showed the same conclusions: the front axle turns 1.5 times faster than the rear axle. I would bet the lunch money your tractor has the same front/rear ratio.

My current front turfs are Titan 22x9.00-12’s and by actual measurement have a fully inflated circumference of 70.5 inches. The web site lists the “rolling circumference” at 63 inches. I can’t imagine where they got that number. I just double checked today with a flexible steel tape and got 70.5 inches.

Anyway, if you want a dead even 1.5 to 1 match with the Titan 22 inch turf, you would shop for a M/S Radial that taped out at 105.75 inches.

My rear tires are 33x12.5-16.5 and measure 101.5 inches in actual inflated circumference.

That gives me a +4% “lead” on the front axle. That is what you want. According to the Firestone Ag tire web page, you want the front tires to be turning between 0% and 5% faster than the rears with the 4WD engaged. Always “lead”, never, ever “lag”.

So in the above scenario, any rear tire measuring between 100.5 and 106 inches would fit the bill.

Ok… Prices…….. all based on Gemplers catalog. They get $195.00 for a 12x16.5 Skid Steer Tire. I would take $200.00 for the pair plus shipping.

Front 23x.8.5 Skid Steer: Gemplers = $160.00 each, Marks price: $160 per pair plus shipping.

Small ag wheels at Gemplers are about $75.00. Because these are unusual wheels I would stick close to the price.

So the whole package…… 2 unmounted rears and two mounted fronts…… Call it $500.00 plus shipping.

If you want just the front rims….. $150.00 Plus shipping, plus the cost to dismount the tires. (probably another $20.00 ??)

BTW, I have a Fed Ex account and get pretty good prices on shipping.

Let me know if you have questions.

Mark.

Link:   Titan tires

Picture Link
John Deere Tractors Looking for turf tiresandrims for 4110

View my Photos
DRankin

2011-05-01          178277

If you check my Pics......#8,#15 and #20 show the 4100 with 24" turf fronts matched with 36" rears.

As you can see they really fill up the rear wheel wells.

#9 shows the 4115 with the 24/36 combo. Not only did this present problems with the fronts wanting to roll under heavy loads but when I swithed from the Gear 4100 to the HST 4115, the larger rear tires gave me too much "overdrive" in Low range and I lost a lot of low end "grunt".

The Gear model puts a lot more power on the road and will handle the larger 36" tires with no problem.

Pic#7 shows the current 33" tires on the rear of the 4115. This is still a large, substantial tire. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2011-05-02          178281

DennoAce;
I have to agree about the tires,R-4's are the best overall tread for my needs. About everything that DR didn't like I do like, this is my third compact all with R-4's. I demmoed one with turfs once, they were a joke for my needs. I do have bigger tractors with R-1's for the agricultrual needs.
I'm not surprised that you like your Land Pride mower, I've got several pieces of LP equipment and all have been superior.
Frank. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2011-05-02          178286

Frank.... I think part of the problem is that Deere (and others) put tires designed for a 7000+ pound skid steer on a 1700 pound tractor.

I am guessing you have 3 point implements that weigh more than a 4100/4115 Deere Compact Tractor.

I once had an R-4 go "flat". Well not really.

It just lost all the air and rolled the bead off the rim on a turn.

They are so stiff........ that was my first clue there was something amiss. (Hmmm... a little inadvertent tractor poetry.) ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2011-05-02          178293

DR;
A bit of history of myself and compact tractors.
Whenever Deere first brought out the 4000 series compacts a dealer brought me a 4100 Demo tractor. I had no exposure to anything small from Deere other than lawnmowers. The 4100 they brought down had a rear mount bushhog type mower that was too big, the front end had a couple little suitcase weights and equiped with turf tires. The mower was more than the little tractor had power enough for and the front wheels came off the ground when you lifted the mower. While working in wet grass the turf tires just spun when trying to go up any kind of incline.
The dealer didn't know how close he came to me loseing any intrest I would have had in one.
Next he brought a 4300 with R-4's and the same rear mower, things went lots better then.
I've since had 3 4000 series Deeres with lots of different attachments including a 48 hoe. The R-4's have been a good fit with the backhoe and other rear mount things.
I really don't mind the firm ride, but I've been fortunate to never have had any back problems either.
I don't do much front yard work with the R-4's but I'm sure they would be lots better than R-1's
Frank. ....

View my Photos
DennoAce

2011-05-04          178308

Well as usual, you guys have been very helpful, thanks hardwood..

DR, I seriously appreciate all your advice and info. on the tires. I was considering your offer(s), then I mowed my front lawn in this new house for the first time. Admittedly it is still kinda soft out there but I figured it had to be cut down to let the sun in, plus I didn't wanna get too far behind. As I expected (I am a golf course mechanic so I know a little about this stuff), I rototilled the softer parts of the lawn with the AGs, so I'm still not sure what to do. I also have experience with the R4s and I know just what you mean about the stiff beads. I always feel like they are one good rock hit away from being flat, and they ARE a bitch to re-seat. (a ratchet strap around the middle and a good charge of air help)...so I guess I have to noodle on it some more...I'm not sure if I need turfs instead of the skid-steers, but I don't wanna change rims over every time I have real work to do (like out in the woods loader work, etc...), so maybe the R4s are the best compromise...or maybe the radials like you have...damn too many options!!! haha

On one part of it though, to be honest, your prices seem reasonable, except for the front rims, I can get new ones from deere for $90/ea so I dunno. :)

ps thx for having pix on here too, it helps us out ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2011-05-04          178309

Denno.... Just looked it up..... you're right, $194/pair. And the 16.5 rims to match my tires are $470/pair. Ouch.

Frank..... The stripped weight of your 4300 series is almost exactly twice as heavy as a stripped 4100. That extra weight would make a big difference in how the tires ride and perform. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2011-05-04          178310

DR;
You make a good point. The 4310 has two sets of Deere wheel weights, me, (a short 300 lbs.), and always a box scraper, tiller or bush hog on the three point, so a lot of extra weight there.
I have no idea what the #48 backhoe weighs, but the rear tires don't look any diferent with it on or off.
The fronts are starting to show some tread wear, but the rears show hardly any tread wear in about 750 hours, probably less then ten hours of road time in the 750.
So far I've had a couple front flats but not a rear yet.
Frank. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login