Go Bottom Go Bottom

John Deere 301 stalls

View my Photos
sandaja
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2010-12-01          175464

I recently purchased a JD 301a (diesel) albeit it's missing the serial numbers and nameplate so it could be a 301. I need to fix the instrumentation as well so for now can't get RPM's or engine temp.

The tractor starts up with little difficulty. There's only a little white smoke at startup that quickly goes away. The unit runs strong for 3-5 mins but after that the RPM's collapse almost instantaneously followed by a final stall. It'll immediately stall upon starting it up again without first letting the tractor for an hour or so at which point it'll go thru the same cycle.

I've replaced the fuel transfer pump and the fuel filter to no effect. Any thought's on what to try next? Could it be the injector pump in which case how to confirm before I spend $500 on a rebuilt?
Thanks

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

John Deere 301 stalls

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-12-01          175472

Why would the serial number tag be missing?

Assume this tractor is totally new to you. Any idea if it did this with previous owner? Does your fuel filter have a glass bowl where you can see the fuel? If so when it cuts off is there fuel in it or not? I had about same thing to happen and there was a wasp in my fuel tank. It would get sucked over the fuel outlet tube and as the tractor set the suction would loosen and it would float up. It sounds as if something is doing about same to you. The other thought I have but doubt it is could the air filter been almost clogged and it is collapsing and cutting off the air or could there be an insect nest in the air supply or even a piece of plastic? ....

John Deere 301 stalls

View my Photos
sandaja

2010-12-02          175478

Indeed the tractor is new to me so I don't yet know all of its foibles.

The fuel filter does have a bowl and I haven't seen any air or crud in the system. I just changed filter and bled the system but it is conceivable that I have a transitory plug somewhere in the system.

As for the air filter, it too was recently changed. However, I'll give it check as well.
Thanks ....

John Deere 301 stalls

View my Photos
jdgreen

2010-12-02          175493

It is possible the injection pump needs rebuilt. The Roosamaster pumps have a plastic ring inside that crumbles with age and it clogs the return fitting on the pump. On the side of the pump you will see a small rectangular plate held on with two countersunk screws. remove those screws and the cover and see if you find black crumbs that looks like coffee grounds. If so place a bucket under the pump and start the engine while the cover is off. The engine should continue to run as long as the return fuel can bleed out. If this happens, you will need to replace the pump or rebuild your current one. ....

John Deere 301 stalls

View my Photos
sandaja

2010-12-02          175495

A number of folks have suggested this approach as well. sounds like a simple but messy test that should be fairly conclusive. However, why would the unit run ok for a few minutes and then require additional time after shutdown to restart. does pressure buildup due to the clog which then needs to bleed off?

do these roosamaster's have a shutoff solenoid that could be faulty? ....

John Deere 301 stalls

View my Photos
candoarms
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-12-02          175497

Sandaja,

It sounds to me as though your engine shut-off valve is leaking past the seals. You're probably getting fuel inside the valve, on the backside of the plunger, forcing it closed after a few minutes time.

Before tearing into the fuel injector pump, I'd either rebuild or replace the fuel shut-off valve.

Joel ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login