Go Bottom Go Bottom

Which Box Blade

View my Photos
Chris Williams
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-06-28          17535

I own a JD 4400 and I would like to know which 5' box blade on the market is best. Also is there a box blade on the market that you can move your weights from the front of the tractor to the box blade. I need some input before I make a purchase. Thanks

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Which Box Blade

View my Photos
Eddie Watkins

2000-06-28          17537

Chris, I can't tell you what is best but when I first got my tractor in March I figured box blades were all about the same so I bought a new light duty and light weight blade for around $350. It worked ok and it would rip some with the scarifiers down. A friend of mine upgraded his tractor and his implements and I bought his old implements for what the dealer was allowing him for trade-in. I got a Gannon 5.5' box blade in the deal that weighs about twice what my first one did and the difference is amazing. I paid $400 for the Gannon and it was worth every penny. I actually look like I know what I am doing with the heavier blade. The Gannon has 7 scarifiers where the old one only had 5 and it will actually penetrate and rip the ground so it can be dragged or lifted however I want. If you want my old box blade, I will sure make you a deal but I suspect it would cost you more to get it than it would to buy a new one. The down side is it is very hard to turn the top link so I may get a hydraulic top link to help me. I suspect I am doing something wrong but maybe I will figure it out eventually. ....

Which Box Blade

View my Photos
Roger L.

2000-06-28          17538

Finally a tractor topic on which most people are going to agree!? Like Eddie says, the Gannon has the reputation of being the best, and most of us hope to own one someday. And if you don't like it you won't have any trouble finding it a new owner. They are heavily built, but the 4400 should be able to handle it. Having all that weight back behind the wheels sure makes a tractor handle nice.
If you want to take a look at one go to any landscaper's lot and I'm betting that you can see a Gannon on his machinery. ....

Which Box Blade

View my Photos
turfman

2000-06-28          17539

Eddie, I own a 4400hst. when I have trouble like that, I try just a little forward or reverse on the pedal then turn around and try to turn the toplink. the pressure is minimal. you are not trying to move the tractor, just relieve the pressure on the link. This also on my 8N with the clutch. give it try and let us know if it works for you. Thats my 2 cents. ....

Which Box Blade

View my Photos
turfman

2000-06-28          17540

Meant to say turn around in your seat and reach back. sorry ....

Which Box Blade

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2000-06-29          17555

Chris, I don't know about the Gannon blades; never seen or used one, but from these posts (and others I've read) they must be a fine blade. But you might also want to click on the Monroe Tufline banner at the top of the page and look at theirs. I sure liked my Tufline box blade. ....

Which Box Blade

View my Photos
Paul Johnson

2000-07-01          17610

I gotta agree with Bird the Tufline is a great blade. I have done alot of things with it that it wasnt made to do and it has not let me down yet. I would sure buy another one if something happened to this one. Just MHO
Paul ....

Which Box Blade

View my Photos
Eddie Watkins

2000-07-07          17808

Turfman, your 2 cents was worth a million. By moving the tractor just a little backward or forward, a 5 year old could spin the top link, Thanks. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login