hydrostatic or gear driven Jd tractor: John Deere Review  -- John Deere Tractors Discussion Forum and Review hydrostatic or gear driven Jd tractor: John Deere Review -- John Deere Tractors Discussion Forum

parts   |   manuals   |   discussion   |   photos   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   contact   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index
New As Posted | Active Subjects

www.emerichsales.com - New & Used Equipment
          View Tractors For Sale!

www.partsbynet.com - Lawn and Garden Equipment Parts

Bernardsville Landscape Lighting
Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > John Deere Review Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 11-08-2010, 19:19 Post: 175013
kirby337

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster
 hydrostatic or gear driven Jd tractor

I recently posted a message asking for comparisions between a JD 870-970-1070 to use with a two bottom plow on ten acres of fairly heavy soil. An additional questions would be if one is looking for a JD tractor about 30-40 hp to use with a 2-14 plow and a nine shank cultivator to work fairly heavy soil would a JD tractor with hydrostatic drive i.e. JD 4410 - 4500 be more appropriate or a gear driven JD tractor say a 970-1070 work better for plowing -cultivating heavy type soils- Thanx again for your posts and info-Peter

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us | Technorati | Furl | Stumble This

11-08-2010, 20:29 Post: 175015
jdgreen

Personally, I like the gear drive models for tillage work. I am sure you will get arguments for hydro also, just my preference.

11-09-2010, 08:10 Post: 175021
hardwood

TP Contributor

Filter by User

I'd go with the gear drive for tillage.
I've used hydro drive IHC farm tractors in the past, they were Ok for a baler, mower, or a forage chopper where the majority of the power went out the PTO shaft.
I'm on my third Deere compact, a 4310, all have been 12/12 power reversers and wouldn't get a hydro if I traded tomorrow.
If you are a farm boy used to the clutch on the left and the brakes on the right, you will feel right at home with a gear drive. I don't do much field work except for bush hogging, the majority of the hours on my 4310 are loader work, the 12/12 works just fine there too. Hydros are a good solid drive system for those who prefer it and likely the newer ones are more efecient than the ones I used in the 60's and 70's. They just lost too much of the useable horsepower to heat, anytime you put anything under pressure heat is a by product. doing field work with those old Farmall hydros the transmission and rear housings got so hot you couldn't touch them.
I had several combines with hydro drives, they are great. Most of the engine power goes to the threshing system and a smaller portion to the drive wheels.
I know we'll be shot down by the hydro lovers, but that's OK, to each their own.
Frank.

11-09-2010, 08:47 Post: 175023
auerbach

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

With a "manual," every time you engage power, especially moving from a stop, you wear the clutch. Mine has a version of the hydro concept ("PowerShift"Wink yeah right that I use for most routine shifting. When it was split at 3,000 hours for other work I planned to replace all the exposed wear parts. For what it's worth the clutch discs still looked like new, and now after 4,000 hours the pedal freeplay has still not needed adjustment.

11-09-2010, 09:19 Post: 175026
hardwood

TP Contributor

Filter by User

Auer;
Agreed dry plate clutches do wear out quicker than wet plate clutches. I'm not sure if the 1070's have a dry plate system or the "Power Shift Type" wet clutches like the 12/12 reversers my 4310 has. You seldom hear of wet clutch replacement except from real high hours or abuse.
Frank.

11-09-2010, 14:51 Post: 175032
greg_g

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

I missed your original post Kirby. But I thought I'd contribute after the fact. I'm perfectly at home with gear tractors, both mine are 8x8 shuttles. I've got a hydro in my JD500, but that's obviously a light duty machine. Circumstances however, dictate that I trade my Chinese tractors for a compact cab tractor w/loader - and the only one that satisfies all my requirements is the new JD3720. Guess what. eHydro only. No transmission choice whatsoever. So it appears that I'm going to have to bite the bullet whether I want to or not !!

A trusted mechanic tells me that the hydros are excellent workhorses, and you already know they're much more convenient than gears. But what he tells me is the if and when they go bad, it's usually about a $1200 labor bill to replace what's probably a $5 part.

//greg//

11-11-2010, 19:14 Post: 175079
earthwrks

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

I've got a bit over 800 hours on my New Holland hydro all of which are very hard hours, prolly more than a homeowner would do in a lifetime. Knock on Frank's noggin'---all those hours have been trouble free. And Frank the book says that for 33hp gross hp there is (only) a one hp drop at the PTO. I like the infinite and instant control a hydro offers as far feathering power to the wheels. A gear can feather power but at the cost of wearing the clutch. And engine RPM stays constant which is the optimal speed for good performance.

11-11-2010, 19:15 Post: 175080
earthwrks

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

I've got a bit over 800 hours on my New Holland hydro all of which are very hard hours, prolly more than a homeowner would do in a lifetime. Knock on Frank's noggin'---all those hours have been trouble free. And Frank the book says that for 33hp gross hp there is (only) a one hp drop at the PTO. I like the infinite and instant control a hydro offers as far feathering power to the wheels. A gear can feather power but at the cost of wearing the clutch. And engine RPM stays constant which is the optimal speed for good performance.

11-12-2010, 15:42 Post: 175100
kthompson

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

For turning the soil would certainly prefer the manual transmission. For cultivating might prefer the hydo for the speed issue mentioned also might be very nice when turning around at ends of rows. But what I don't like a hydo on is a sprayer. To me getting sprayer calibrated is hard enough with a manual transmission where you have the ability to fine tune the travel speed with some engine speed change. For me very hard to do with hydo trans.

11-12-2010, 16:08 Post: 175102
hardwood

TP Contributor

Filter by User

KT;
I'd forgotten about spraying with a hydro tractor. You're correct, a gear tractor gives you a known speed at a given RPM, within a range of wheel slip etc. The hydro farm tractors I spoke of that I did spray with were a bear to calabrate a sprayer. You had no known speed, there were no speedometers on them. We finally got an aftermarket speedometer that was a little rubber wheel that ran on the front tire of the tractor with a regular speedometer cable up to where you mounted the speedometer. They worked pretty good till the front tire got a bit of mud on it then it just kinda bent the bracket that held the little wheel, then it didn't work. We gave up on the little aftermarket deal and ran a gear drive tractor along side and put a mark on the hydro lever sector to get it back somewhere near the right speed when you turned on the end or stopped for something.
Hydros have their place, but just not in all day long heavy drawbar work.
Frank.

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > John Deere Review Forum

Thread 175013 Filter by Poster:
auerbach 1 | candoarms 1 | earthwrks 2 | greg_g 1 | hardwood 4 | jdgreen 1 | kirby337 1 | kthompson 1 |

Most Viewed

+ John Deere 2210 Backhoe Review
+ John Deere vs Kubota Compact Tractors
+ John Deere 790 fuel shut-off solenoid failing???
+ John Deere low viscosity HY GARD
+ John Deere JD 4100 Wiring diagram
+ JD 790 or Kubota L3000DT
+ Should I buy a John Deere 4105???
+ John Deere 4300 turns over but won't start
+ John Deere 455 garden tractor
+ Oil Change for Diesel Tractor

Most Discussion

+ John Deere 4300 scuffing......
+ Possible Solution To The 4000
+ Dealer out to lunch
+ Just got my new JD 4410 - Prob