Go Bottom Go Bottom

Rockshaft arms not working

View my Photos
By the Brook Farm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-06-16          17258

I have a JD4600 w/backhoe and cannot get the rockshaft arms to lift the hoe high enough to get the L-pins out. Actually, I don't think the rockshaft arms can move down either. I have never used any of this 3pt stuff since I bought the tractor a year ago so I don't know if they ever worked. Any ideas?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Chris in IN

2000-06-16          17259

You must get the backhoe bucket in the parking postion as the manual shows. Then you disconnect the backhoe hydraulic hoses from the tractor & reconnect the male on tractor pressure hose. When the backhoe is mounted on the tractor the rock shaft is disabled for safety reasons. Chris ....

View my Photos
Frank J. Knight

2000-06-16          17260

Sounds like a problem that is similar to what happened to me when I first tried to remove my backhoe. I have a JD4300 with a 47 backhoe but according to the manual the setup is similar. First remember that you must disconnect the backhoe hydraulics and reconnect the tractor hydraulic line to get the rockshaft to operate. It also takes 10 or 15 seconds the hydraulics to "catch up" since the backhoe holds the rockshaft in almost the full upright position. It is very easy to put the hydraulic system over relief when lifting the backhoe. The manual says to kill the engine if your going to be over relief for more than 10 seconds. What it doesn't say is how you know that you are "over relief"? You can hear it when the idling engine starts to noticeably lug. I haven't found that to be a problem since once things were adjusted correctly it only takes a few seconds to get the pins in or out.

That brings me to the real problem. The first time I tried removing the backhoe I discovered that the dealer didn't have the L-pin alignment adjusted correctly. What I ended up doing was reconnecting the backhoe hydraulics and using the stablizers to lift it enough to loosen the pins. Then reconnect the tractor hydraulics to use the rockshaft to lift and lower. Be very careful the backhoe is heavy. Once I got it off I spent the next hour readjusting the L-pins until they slid in and out easily with the rockshaft all the way up. Now it is an easy job to remove or reinstall the backhoe.

Frankj ....

View my Photos
By the Brook Farm

2000-06-16          17261

I have followed the directions in the manual exactly. The hoses are connected properly and the bucket is correctly positioned. I believe the problem is in the rockshaft control lever. Oh, I also have the speed drop/lock valve in the middle position, half-way between the turtle and rabbit. I would think that the rockshafts would lower since the L-pins are taking all the weight but they only go down about a half-inch with me pushing on them. If I then try to raise them using the rockshaft control lever they come up and just touch the latch plates. I lowered the latch plates hoping to gain the adjustment I need but it isn't helping. With the engine idling I can hear it lug if I try to raise the rockshafts but nothing happens. With the control lever in the raise position I can push the shafts down that half-inch. I dunno, maybe I will give the dealer a call in the morning.. ....

View my Photos
By the Brook Farm

2000-06-18          17293

Frank, that did the trick..all fixed now, thanks. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login