Go Bottom Go Bottom

4100 JD for sale

View my Photos
Dave
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

1999-03-14          1718

I have a 4100 series JD, I have been reading everone's opinions on putting a backhoe on my tractor. Frankly, if I can't put one on it , it's for sale. That is one of the main reasons I bought a so called compact tractor. I to have been searching for one . I guess I thought they didn't have one yet because it was such a new model when I bought it. To say the least, I am quite P.O . This tractor should not even be in the compact class . You know what it really is it's JD farming out to much of it's line, overseas. The asking price is 16,200.Specs-4100 tractor 410 loader , 60" mower 90 hrs on this piece of non American made tractor.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

4100 JD for sale

View my Photos
Jim Fisher

1999-03-14          1719

Why not make your dealer aware of the problem? I believe that John Deere has a policy that allows you to trade without penalty during a specified period of time (90 days?) after the purchase of a new tractor. ....

4100 JD for sale

View my Photos

1999-03-14          1721

Your JD 4100 is to light of a tractor to do any real backhoe work with it. Youshould look at a minimum of a 4300. JD does have one of the best upgrade programsin the industry. Try talking with your JD dealer and explain to him what you areplanning on using your tractor for. Also remember you need weight to move earth. ....

4100 JD for sale

View my Photos
Brent

1999-03-15          1730

Dave you won't find a 100% American made compact. All have Japanese engines. TheNew Holland Boomers are built in Georgia with Shibaura engines. The JD 4000 series are the same except with Yanmar engines. The rest are 100% Japanese. ....

4100 JD for sale

View my Photos

1999-03-15          1740

$16,200 Right. Now what do you really think you will get for it w/ 90 hours? ....

4100 JD for sale

View my Photos

1999-03-16          1762

I'll have to agree with you Dave,the 4100 is a just a little more than an over-grown lawnmower.Good luck on trying to peddle that piece of crap,but that green paint sure makes em look pretty. ....

4100 JD for sale

View my Photos
Harold

1999-03-17          1778

I own a JD4100 which I bought about a year ago. I have used the tractor hard and have moved hundreds of tons of dirt, sand, rock, and snow with it. I have always had plenty of power and the tractor has performed admirably. An overgrown lawnmower it is not. The front wheels haven't fallen off, the frame hasn't bent, and it doesn't smoke.Although the tractor is probably a little too light to do any serious backhoe work, your dealer should have told you that JD didn't make a backhoe for this model when you bought the tractor. I read on another forum where someone now makes a backhoe with a subframe for this tractor. And NOWHERE in my warranty does it say the warranty is void if a backhoe is installed. But this tractor is not really big enough to be very useful as a backhoe. Where it shines is delivering a lot of power and manuervability in close quarters with the front loader and various other attachments. If you want a tractor that can handle serious backhoe work, I would recommend the JD4300 as a minimum. Note that the 4300 weighs almost twice as much as the 4100 and would not be the ideal tractor for finish mowing a lawn. One tractor just cannot be ideal for all jobs, a compromise has to made somewhere. ....

4100 JD for sale

View my Photos
Greg

1999-03-18          1819

I'm shopping around for a small tractor for mowing grass, plowing a driveway, and cutting a small field. I was considering a JD 4100 until I saw your message. I there something wrong with your 4100? Or is it just too small for what you are trying to do? ....

4100 JD for sale

View my Photos

1999-03-19          1823

There is nothing wrong with his tractor except the fact that he bought a 4100 for one reason and now wants to do more with it than it was made for. The information on the the 4100 clearly states that it is not made for a backhoe to work with this machine. It's just a case of not checking everything out before buying the 4100. Kind of a expensive misstake I do believe. This a good reason for checking out every option available to answer your questions before purchasing your new tractor. It's called thinking before buying. ....

4100 JD for sale

View my Photos
Dave

1999-03-19          1829

There is nothing wrong with my 4100. When I bought it last august the dealer simply told me that deere had not made a backhoe for it yet ,because it's such a new model,& expected they would soon. Now 8 mo later I read about everone's tractor not being heavy enough to do hoe work and deere sertainly won't make one.The tractor work's hard and perform's flawlessly. I run a landscape buisness & that's why I want a hoe. I guess I can't have everthing in one tractor. The 4100 will do everthing you wan't it to ...........except run a hoe. ....

4100 JD for sale

View my Photos
MichaelSnyder

1999-04-26          3328

My question to Dave is: How much thought went into purchasing your 4100? What did you think a -1800lbs/20HP tractor would be capable of? If JD had a hoe for the 4100, would you complain that you couldn't do everything you wanted. COMMON SENSE should have told you that 4100 is out of range for a backhoe. Unless you wanted to dig holes for your flowers! Do the Math, size/weight/horsepower=abilities and capability. Large tractors fit most implements, but would you want a 6-10,000lbs tractor, that is half the size of your house to mow lawn, and plow a driveway? highly unlikely. The 4100 is perfect for people who USE IT FOR ITS intended purpose, NOT YOUR INTENDED PURPOSES. Next time, take five minute to THINK about what you need a tractor to do. I apologies if I sound like a smart-ass, but I am tired of listeningto people who want a -1800lbs/20HP tractor to do what a +40HP tractor is intended for or capable of. ....

4100 JD for sale

View my Photos
Tony

1999-05-09          3619

I have an 87 Allis Chamber. It is a 21hp pto. I have had a woods 750bh on it for three years and it has worked wonderfully. Woods said not to put it on this model but I built a subframe to tie the tractor together, hung it on the 3ph and have been digging ever since. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login