Go Bottom Go Bottom

Old Style Axle Update

View my Photos
Al
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-06-07          16985

I haven't read much lately on the offical position from JD in regards to warranting the old style scuffing axles. Does anyone have any news to share? Possibly their experiences in dealing with their local dealer or JD customer service. I've approached my dealer and he as of this late date takes the position that he hasn't heard about the scuffing problem nor read any service bulletins from Deere. He did say that he would check into it and get back to me.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Old Style Axle Update

View my Photos
Tom VanKirk

2000-06-07          16986

I was told by my dealer that only tractors with belly mowers were covered by the upgrade (just a month ago they said mine would be covered). When I contacted Deere thru 1-800-WHO-CARES, I got the runaround and no definite answer. I didn't relize when buying this hunk of crap (transmission just fixed for second time and not even a year old) that my neighbors who have Kubota and New Holland deserve nicer looking yards than people who mistakenly buy green (and their tractors are larger than mine). I can't remember seeing anything in the sales literature that the 4000 series shouldn't be used to mow yards (I'm sure I just overlooked it).

If you have the mid-PTO I'd be hounding your dealer. Sounds like the fix is out there, but they're not very willing to do it. (Dealer said it would cost me $5000 to have it done to mine)

Hope you have better luck than I have. ....

Old Style Axle Update

View my Photos
Jack D

2000-06-07          16988

Al, a lot has been posted on this, and I think it all boils down to the dealer. Mine REPLACED THE TRACTOR! I have a 4400, with no belly mower (rear mounted Woods bush hog, R4 tires, etc. Ask your dealer to give you the name and number of the factory rep who calls on him, or ask him to confront the rep himself. It's like a lot of warranty -- if they don't hear anything, they don't solicit -- but JD IS fixing the problem. (At least, a lot of posts on this board indicate so.) I will say though, that my dealer sold 35 with the old style, and only had 2 replacements! So, be persistent! If he's entitled to have a dealership, he should fix any problem you have. Good luck! ....

Old Style Axle Update

View my Photos
dsg
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2000-06-07          16999

I ordered a New JD 4700 on the 9th of May. When I ordered it, I told the dealer to make sure it had all the latest undates, i.e. New front axle, anti fog dash, the new designed servo pumps and a couple of others that I can't think of just now. The dealers response was very claim and said "I will make sure your tractor has all of the most resent updates, those, and any that I might not be familiar with at this time. That was a good but, smalltime dealer here in Maine, so if he knows about these problems I think most other dealers do also.
David ....

Old Style Axle Update

View my Photos
Paul Levin

2000-06-07          17000

I took delivery of my 4300 HST with 430 FEL and 60 inch deck last July. I went to my dealer about 10 weeks ago with a list of the updates I wanted him to do, including the new axle. He told me he had to speak to the JD rep. I told him very nicely, that he should tell the rep I was very upset about these issues. Next thing I know he has all the parts coming in, the service scheduled. Thanks to this board I had a lot of information. The dealer was totally honorable in taking care of everything. Obviously it would have been better to not have any issues but I won't complain. ....

Old Style Axle Update

View my Photos
Mike S.

2000-06-07          17008

It appears, as previously stated, that 4200-4300-4400's (don't know about the larger ones) with belly mowers get the new front end on what JD calls a "Fix as Fails" situation (meaning, there is no recall, but if a person is having difficulties with the turf-tearing, they will replace the front end.) The front end (and transmission) on my 4400HST was just replaced. In that regard, my dealer was very supportive, although JD was unwilling to replace the tractor (with bad PTO, bad transmission and bad front end)--but they did stand behind the warranty and authorize the warranty repairs. I have a tough time buying into the idea that some JD dealers allegedly didn't know or don't know about the lawn-scuffing issue since I have observed my dealer calling up JD DTAC on the computer and looking up service bulletins of various types. It appears to me that JD dealers are kept very well informed--at least the information is available at their fingertips. Mike S. ....

Old Style Axle Update

View my Photos
DavidUSMC

2000-06-07          17012

I really hate that all you people who believed in Deere are having these problems. It takes away any joy from the small tractor ownership experience. I thank you for being honest and helping those of us who are deciding on a tractor to have the best available information. Keep after your local dealers...it seems that Deere responds to their input. ....

Old Style Axle Update

View my Photos
turfman

2000-06-07          17013

My dealer (actually the mechanic) contacted me about the new axle. He said that he learned about at a regional mechanics meeting. And that the fix would probably take a while to implement because the axles had to come off the new machine assembly line in GA. This has been the case, more than 2 months since he told me the good news. I really like my 4400, it is a great machine. Hope all the nay-sayers get some good service from their dealer which should be the case in the first place. ....

Old Style Axle Update

View my Photos
Al

2000-06-08          17019

I'm glad to hear that some of you have already received your new axles.
It gives me reassurance that John Deere is addressing this issue.
Hopefully everyone will eventually receive full satisfaction through their
warranty coverage, belly mower or not and John Deere will again recapture
our trust,loyalty and future patronage. ....

Old Style Axle Update

View my Photos
bud in oh.

2000-06-08          17036

dsg, I don't want to sound stupid but what is a servo pump on a tractor? budinohio. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login