Go Bottom Go Bottom

4600 Bogs down in road gear

View my Photos
Stormtruck2
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2010-02-15          168648

I have a 2002 4600 HST 1080 hours with an FEL on it. Just took delivery today. Moved snow at one location for about 1/2 hour and transited to next location 4 blocks away. While moving snow it ran like a champ. One block in to the transit it lost power and bogged down almost stalling going up a slight grad on clear street.:( Arrived at 2nd location and moved snow for an hour running okay after a short bout of bogging and stalling at one point in the beginning.:( Left for 3rd location and after 2 block lost power and attempted to stall.:( Sputtered 5 blocks to the house and after a few minutes it seemed to recover. Worked well under load except for trying to run wide open in C range. I suspect a plugging fuel filter. Temp was in the 20's. Had been in a warm shop for a month prior to being hauled 8 mile to my home. Water maybe? Has a brand new air filter installed today. Any other suspects for the lose of power in C range? Parked outside tonight plugged in low around 14 degrees.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-02-15          168649

I'd add a diesel fuel additive that has an anti-gel additive and water dispersal agent. Likely candidates might be a clogged fuel filter, fuel gelling, or moisture in fuel icing up. If those don't fix it there could also be debris in fuel tank that intermittently clogs the fuel pick-up line or a clogged fuel tank vent that causes the tank to pull a vacuum (you might try to crack the fuel cap to test for this). Be sure to keep the tank full of fuel, too, to minimize condensation. ....

View my Photos
Stormtruck2

2010-02-15          168650

It only occurs in C range at close to top speed. If I'm working it doesn't happen. If it was freezing up I would think it would do it no matter what I'm doing. Feels like the galleys are getting drained at high speed and the fuel pump can't keep up. Yet I run it at full throttle when working. JD is going to change the filters here tomorrow, (just bought it and had it delivered today)and see if that changes anything. I hope it does. Now if I could just get to my shed, (behind 5 foot snow drifts) to drop that 450 pound mower deck off of it. LOL Looks goofy doing snow work with the FEL and a mower deck on it. :) ....

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-02-15          168651

I was thinking that the highest range at highest speed would require maximum fuel flow, and if there is a slight fuel restriction then that's when it would be noticed. ....

View my Photos
Stormtruck2

2010-02-15          168652

Thats the same line I'm thinking. I think it is probably a dirty filter more than freezing up. at high speed it pull the fuel out of the galleys faster than it can be pumped in, after a a minute or two at reduced speed the galley fills back up and all is good. I hope it is something simple like a fuel filter. I guarantee I am not paying for a new filter and service call if all it is is a fuel filter. They had it at their shop a month almost putting the cab and heater on it, plenty of time to PM it. I'm confident though that they will stand good for it though. I'll be posting pics tomorrow of it. You will be able to tell me in the pic. I'm the one with the it eating grin from ear to ear! LOL ;) ....

View my Photos
Murf

2010-02-16          168660

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormtruck2 | view 168650
It only occurs in C range at close to top speed. If I'm working it doesn't happen. If it was freezing up I would think it would do it no matter what I'm doing.

You're forgetting one important difference though Storm.

When you're working it, even with WOT, it's not moving around very fast, so all the heat coming out of the rad is blowing down the length of the engine.

When you start to road it that heat disappears really fast, if the fuel is right at the temp where it will start to freeze, that loss of heat may be all it takes to start gelling up.

Before I tried anything else I'd be dumping a generous dose of fuel conditioner into it.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
Stormtruck2

2010-02-16          168661

Very good point. I don't know if the fuel they fueled with is conditioned or not, so it will be getting a dose of Howes today. Used Howes in my semi and it is great stuff.. 600,000 mile plus and never had an injector go bad. Looking at Motor-Kote too. I have herd great things about Motor-Kote from other owner-operators. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2010-02-16          168672

And a different direction, are you sure your brakes are released? Can do the same thing if not. ....

View my Photos
Stormtruck2

2010-02-16          168675

JD was here and changed the fuel filter. It was pretty black. Tech said soy diesel will do that also. Added power service to the fuel. Runs much better right now. I think it was the fuel filter. I am sure that the parking brake is off, I keep forgetting to set it. LOL Thanks for all the tips and feed back. Now back to moving more snow. Dropped the mower today. Now I won't look like a geek moving snow with the mower on it. LOL ....

View my Photos
Stormtruck2

2010-02-16          168676

Just finished digging out the back drive way. Thing runs like a champ now with the new fuel filter. Lock in the diff and let her dig. Love the MFWD on this. Makes a big difference. Now to get the tiller, scraper box, pulverizer, stereo, and a big honkin shed for her. About 60X40 should do. LOL ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login