Go Bottom Go Bottom

CAN THIS TRACTOR PULL A DISK

View my Photos
neil nemitz
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-05-30          16776

I'm picking up a 790 this week.I'm wonderingif this tractor will pull a disk that is tenfeet wide with 12 inch cutters pull behind.I also have a 8 foot disk with 22 inch cutters that is a pull behind.This doent determind if i will buy this tractor i was just wondering if this tractor can pull a disk of either size.Thanks for your help.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
L.F. Denaro, IV

2000-05-30          16778

Why would you want to make the tractor do something it is not designed to?? Maybe a 5310 could. ....

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2000-05-30          16780

Wouldn't it depend to some extent on the kind of soil, moisture content, etc. that you are trying to pull it in? ....

View my Photos
dave piper

2000-05-30          16781

JD. 9400 would work even better. ....

View my Photos
Todd Barber

2000-05-30          16783

I have a 1948 model M JD, it weighs about 2900lbs. in hard ground, it cannot maintain traction with a 20" 20 disk double gang harrow. With the sections split it pulls fine, just takes a double cut. if your 790 is 2wd i'd say don't even try it your tractor is to light. If it is 4wd try the 8 foot it might pull it on your ground. anyhow, the worst thing that happens is the tractor tires spin and the disk is stuck in the field. spinning tires BETTER not hurt a new JD, and you can always bring your larger tractor (I assume you have one if you have all those pricey harrows) to rescue your plows ....

View my Photos
Todd Barber

2000-05-30          16784

I have a 1948 model M JD, it weighs about 2900lbs. in hard ground, it cannot maintain traction with a 20" 20 disk double gang harrow. With the sections split it pulls fine, just takes a double cut. if your 790 is 2wd i'd say don't even try it your tractor is to light. If it is 4wd try the 8 foot it might pull it on your ground. anyhow, the worst thing that happens is the tractor tires spin and the disk is stuck in the field. spinning tires BETTER not hurt a new JD, and you can always bring your larger tractor (I assume you have one if you have all those pricey harrows) to rescue your plows ....

View my Photos
DanaT

2000-05-30          16786

I don't know the spec's on a 790,but my old 755 pulls my 5' with 16" dics just fine, I recently got a 855 with 4R tires and I don't have to have the loader on to pull it. ....

View my Photos
Larry in MI.

2000-05-30          16792

I recently pulled a 6 foot 12 disc with 12" discs behind my 4100 over wet, dry, and hilly ground with turf tires. I had serious doubts if I could even pick it up but it worked just fine in 4wd with the loader attached. Perhaps my dealer was right when he said "if you can pick it up, you can use it". The other tractor at the hunting camp was a Farmall H and it could not go where the 4100 could. 4wd makes a huge difference. I think the 790 will pull the 8 foot disc without a problem if it is 4wd. ....

View my Photos
Doug

2000-06-05          16914

I have Kubota 3010 and and have no trouble pulling a 6' 20 disc with 16" discs. It works great although I have only used on slight grades but I would think it would do well on hills as well. Good luck! ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login