Go Bottom Go Bottom

HELP - 430 quit and won t start

View my Photos
John Sheehan
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-05-26          16686

My 430 w/ the 3 cyl yanmar quit while I was using it. Just like I turned off the switch. No sputtering or any indication that something was wrong. I was low on diesel so I figured it might have a safety switch to stop the engine before you get air in the lines. Filled the fuel-no luck. The brakes and seat switch are defeated but I checked those connections and they appear intact. PTO switches are in the off position. Battery was old and weak so I replace that-still nothing. No click when you turn the key. Not knowing all of the safety switches there are on the unit I checked all of the fluids. Having no manuals with this, I thought I'd check with the talent on this board! Any help would be Greatly appreciated.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2000-05-26          16688

I'm not familiar with your model, John, but some tractors have a master fuse. Is that a possiblity? ....

View my Photos
John Sheehan

2000-05-26          16693

Thanks Bird. I figured it out and it was fuse related. I had previously checked the fuses and they looked fine. When I went back out to tackle this I looked at the fuses again, you know just incase one blew while it was sitting on the driveway. Well pulling the fuse out and putting it in again must of worked off some of the corrosion that must have been present because now it would start but the fuse was positional so I cleaned it all up and it works fine.
Funny how most of your biggest challanges a solved so simply.
Thanks again ....

View my Photos
Frank R Taylor

2000-05-26          16696

Glad you found it. When I had my JD 318 the same thing happened to me. After 2 days checking stuff and pulling things apart I eventually had to call the dealer. After another 2 days waiting for him he eventually showed up and told me about an inline fuse in the electrical system. I had checked all the fuses I knew about but didn't know about this one. He didn't have a replacement with him so I supplied one but he still charged me $60 call out charge for less than 2 minutes work. He could have told me about it on the phone when we talked and it would have saved a whole lot of time and trouble. Just one of the reasons I now drive a Kubota. ....

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2000-05-26          16699

Just glad it was simple, John. ....

View my Photos
Larry in MI.

2000-05-26          16702

Frank, I feel your pain. I have decided that if John Deere dealers carried guns we could arrest them for armed robbery. Unfortunately I have not caught one of them with a gun yet. They hold you hostage with the color green. My next tractor will not be green. ....

View my Photos
Daryl

2000-05-27          16705

Frank
Can you tell me the location of the inline fuze? My 265 stoped running easter I goot it running once went to through the PTO and she went dead. Three trips to the dealer who was a friendly and just a load of info is now a mute. I have replaced the seat switch, shorted the brake switch, and replaced the PTO switch. I am still a head a bit from the 47 dollars an hour the dealer charges and we have drought conditions here in Florida. But my wife wants to put her car were I have the JD parked.
Daryl ....

View my Photos
Frank R Taylor

2000-05-27          16707

Daryl, this happened longer ago than last week and for the life of me I can't remember exactly. One of the consequences of getting older I suppose but being Scottish I remember the $60 vividly. I remeber it was hidden underneath something in the engine compartment (I think), in an out of the way place that you would never stumble across by just glancing around, looking for it. I don't have the 318 anymore so I can't go and look and I'm not familiar with your model but I'd start behind the dash and trace wires until I found it. There aren't that many and it shouldn't take too long. Best of luck. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. ....

View my Photos
Daryl

2000-05-27          16711

Frank
Thank you for the help anyway. I too am Scottish that is why I have a hard time taking things to the dealer. Maybe some else might be able to help me out. I would heat to make up all my green toys and buy a MTD cub caddet!!!!!!! ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login