Go Bottom Go Bottom

John Deere 4300 turns over but won t start

View my Photos
tractorhank
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2009-05-17          162804

Used my John Deere 4300 3 times today with no problems. A half hour later I went to start it up but all it would do is crank over but it would not start. I have plenty of gas and I bled the fuel system by loosening the bolt that my owners manual said to loosen and cranked over the engine to make sure there was no air in the system. Fuel was coming with no problems or air. It is 70 degrees today. What might the problem be?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
harvey
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-05-18          162806

Check the fuel shutoff selnoid is it clicking strongly when you turn the key on or is it more of a dull sound?

A 10mm box end will remove it. Mine gets oil in back of the plunger and wont pull in. I wont pay $150 for a new one this is a BS problem and there should have been a replacement offered.

If your selnoid is not clicking the bottom center relay contacts may have some corrision on the tabs.

Hope this helps. ....

View my Photos
tractorhank

2009-05-18          162811

Harvey, will the tractor still turn over if the fuel shutoff selnoid is bad. Also where approximately is the selnoid located. Thanks, Hank. ....

View my Photos
Haney1

2009-05-18          162812

Wow, this is too weird. I am having the exact same problem. Used my 4300 last week several time and no start this weekend. I knew to listen for the solonoid and it is just barely clicking not the big chunk I am use to hearing. So, what does that mean. If it was not makeing any sound, I would say it is the interlocks had it, but since there is an audible (faint) click then is it the solonoid itself? Are these prone to going bad? ....

View my Photos
AnnBrush
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-05-18          162814

If you think 2 folk on one forum with the same problem is weird, try 3 - must be a pervasive issue with this model. My 4300 does EXACTLY the same thing. I have never figured out what the problem is but have found that the following generally prevents it from happening: Before shut-off (turning off the key) make sure the tractor is not idling - mine idles at about 950 - 1000, I move the throttle to 1200 and then turn off the key. To start don't touch the throttle just crank (use glow plugs if cold). Once it decides not to start you can crank off and on until the cows come home and then all of a sudden for no apparent reason it will start. If you ever see a solution offered let me know. Happy cranking Ann. ....

View my Photos
harvey

2009-05-18          162817

The o-ring on the plunger valve leakes oil into the selnoid and the plunger will not pull in. I take mine off spray penetrating oil on it turn it upside down and work the plunger until I get no more oil.

It takes me about 30 minutes total. Small 10mm wrench 2 bolts un hook wires clean and reinstall. BTW I have pretty big hands so it tight fit.

The engine will turn over. If you are not positive about the selnoid pull air cleaner off and spray some wd-40 while turning over if it starts you narrowed it down some.

Then you can pull selnoid out a 1/4 inch or so and tractor will also start. Push selonid back in to shut off or stick a screwdriver in to shut off fuel. EDIT It's located on the back of the injector pump.

It the only part on my 6 year old 1500+ hours that sucks AND I WILL NOT GIVE JD $150+ FOR A NEW ONE!

EDIT I usually get 200 or so hours between episodes. I can do it with loader installed. But easier to remove selnoid bolts let hang start take loader off and finish job. After loader off just stick selnoid back in to shut off tractor. ....

View my Photos
Haney1

2009-05-18          162818

Thanks for the reply Harvey, I will try tonight!!!!! ....

View my Photos
jdgreen

2009-05-18          162825

There is a part called a thermistor that causes this problem. It does not allow the solenoid to energize long enough to overcome the oil in the solenoid. The thermistor should allow a surge of 20-30 amps when solenoid is activated. The thermistor is located behind the fuse panel. It is a small orange square plastic device that is soldered in the wiring behind the fuse panel. Just unbolt the panel and pull it out as far as you can. Cut the old thermistor out and solder or crimp the new on into place. The part number is LVU10323 and is around 5 bucks. Alot cheaper than a new solenoid. ....

View my Photos
Haney1

2009-05-19          162832

HARVEY! You are the Man!!!! Took out Solonoid, worked back and forth while spraying around pintel with WD-40, and it started working. Put back in and Wa-la!!! Useful tractor again!!! I really appreciate your help and knowledge.

One comment.... Do you think that even if the engineers at JD (actually Yanmar) tried they could put that back 10mm screw in a worse place? ha. Not made for Big American hands...... ....

View my Photos
harvey

2009-05-19          162834

haney1 if you you think that tight wait till a stupid mouse chews one of your fuel returns from an injector.

jdgreen will that work on the early selnoids. It takes quite a bit to force the oil out. They have updated the selnoid to prevent the issue. ....

View my Photos
AnnBrush

2009-05-19          162837

Guys - this is great, I will perform the said repairs and clean. Thanks BIG TIME. ....

View my Photos
pvjenks

2009-05-27          163012

Hi,

I know this is an old post, but my 4300 is having the same problem. I replaced the fuel filter and bled the system according to the manual. Can you tell me where the solonoid is located?

Thanks
Phil ....

View my Photos
harvey

2009-05-27          163014

It is located behind the injector pump. There is a electrical plug an 3 (I think) wires going to it. You should be able to identify by a dull or sharp click when you turn the key on. ....

View my Photos
harvey

2009-06-30          163719

jdgreen what is the difference between the new thermoresistor and the old? Jd shows same part # all the way. Only part that has changed is the selinoid. I have bought a new thermoresistor to put in so will try that.

Does anyone know who the manfacturer is for the injector pump and selinoid is on the 4400? JD wants $170 for new. I will not pay that. I will cut it apart and put a string on it to pull it in and out.

THIS PART SHOULD HAVE BEEN A RECALL JD KNEW THERE PROBLEM AND REDESIGNED THE PART. ....

View my Photos
Haney1

2009-06-30          163720

I agree Harvey!!! JD should recall the part. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2009-06-30          163724

Harvey, I don't know who built that fuel system, but I think the engine is a Yanmar i those smaller JD's.

If that's the case, Yanmar, along with most Japanese manufacturers are very good at using the same parts across a wide variety of stuff.

Take a few pictures and write down any part (casting?) numbers that may be visible then check with an equipment dealer that sells Yanmar construction equipment. I'd bet it's the same engine and all in some of those little excavators and such.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
harvey

2009-06-30          163729

Thanks Murf I have cleaned all the black paint off have all the numbers.

It bothers every 20-30 hours now. I'll try new thermoresister next time it won't start. Then the selinoid going to D&W diesel to match it up.

I have spent hours on pc looking. ....

View my Photos
harvey

2009-07-02          163765

Been busy boy! Found 2 sources for solenoid. (I can spell it now too) Yanmar marine $106. Also found them for $8 not sure US$ but have to buy 50 out of China.

Changed out the little electronic thermoresister like jdgreen suggested. Not sure but seem like the snap in at solenoid sounded sharper. A week or 2 will tell once I get back into woods and run tractor 6-8 hours straight for a couple 3 days. ....

View my Photos
harvey

2009-07-12          163982

UPDATE The little do dad JDGREEN said to change has been in for a couple of weeks. I've put on almost 30 hours with no problems starting. Even after running 6+ hours straight.

That part may be the correct answer for many of the starting issues. I hope it is! Will know for sure in another couple of weeks and will keep you posted. ....

View my Photos
jdgreen

2009-07-12          163985

Good to hear it is working better for you. I have replaced several of these over the years. Keep us posted on this problem. ....

View my Photos
harvey

2009-08-01          164555

JDGREEN's fix seems to be the correct low cost fix. I have over 40+ hours onsince change do dad. 9 hours straight heavy use today skidding logs then 3+ hours pto rpm mowing.

Tractor keeps starting fine. Has not done that this many hours straight in a long time.

I'll have to say if tractor bothers starting change the do dad.

Thanks JDGREEN for the excellent piece of advice.

Harvey ....

View my Photos
jnporcello

2009-09-24          165904

Hi, I have a 2001 4600 with the exact same problem. Does it use the same solenoid and yellow thermosensor? Are they located in the same place. I can't wait to hopefully put an end to the mysterious will turn over, but won't start sometimes trick. ....

View my Photos
jnporcello

2010-07-02          172040

Harvey, still no problems with starting after changing the thermistor? Did you get the same one from JD, or from a different source?
Thanks ....

View my Photos
harvey

2010-07-04          172080

Hi I just out in your neck of woods. Andover.

Yes I got the JD part. Still working great. ....

View my Photos
jerloop

2011-04-17          178014

hello my prob is my 2001 john deere 4300 farmhandler is hard to start it turns very slow for a min or so just as u give up on it it turns fast once and starts then after no prob all day, there is a new starter and new battery.can any 1 help me. thanks

View my Photos
jnporcello

2011-04-17          178015

Hello, probably not the thermistor from your description. When that's the problem it turns over like normal, but just doesn't fire.

Wish I could be of more help. Sorry. ....

View my Photos
jerloop

2011-04-17          178016

sorry it is a 3400 farm handler it sounds like the battery is gone then turns fast 1 turn an starts ....

View my Photos
harvey

2011-04-17          178017

Sounds more like resistance. Clean the terminals at batt and frame gnd and starter. Cleck the cables for corrosion in the cable lugs also. ....

View my Photos
jerloop

2011-04-17          178024

ok i will try to day, thanks very much. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login