Go Bottom Go Bottom

CollarShift Problems

View my Photos
Tom VanKirk
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-05-09          16095

I purchased a collarshift 4300 last summer and I'm starting to have problems. A few months ago the dealer took it in, cracked it open, and readjusted the clutch shims due to consistent grinding while trying to shift into any gear. Now the grinding is starting again (but not all the time), and it pops out of gear whenever I try to put it in reverse on a hill. Anyone else seeing these problems? Any suggestions? I'm starting to consider getting everything working while it's still under warranty, selling it while I can, and buying BLUE (I hurts to actually say that).

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

CollarShift Problems

View my Photos
Brent Lowe

2000-05-10          16158

Hello Tom. You are not alone with your grinding problems on the JD 4300 Collar Shift Transmission. I have one that I received last April which exhibits the same problem. A friend of mine has one he bought last summer which also has the problem. I held onto to mine for almost a year because the Dealer's Service Manager kept telling me that JD was aware of the problem and was working on a fix. I called my dealer a couple of months ago and asked for the service fix. They split my tractor and put in the shim kit and returned it a couple of weeks later. The guy who delivered it parked it on a slight hill (nose down) on my driveway. When I got home from work I hopped on it and to my dismay I could not get it into gear without some serious grinding. I tried all gears and finally after it ground once in each gear I got it into third gear. I talked with the Service manager and he claimed that it was a design issue and I should expect some grinding when on an incline. I can't thank those Deere engineers enough. Not only did they completely screw up the steering system by ignoring Ackerman steering geometry, but they managed to screw up a standard transmission. I have a 1959 JD430 that does not have the grinding problem my new tractor has. It grinds the worst when on an incline, but it will also grind on flat ground. I have come accustomed to counting to ten in my head before I shift, however, this still does not eliminate the problem. I have been after the salesman who sold me this faulty piece of equipment to help me get out of it and into either a syncreverser or a hydro transmission. I am more than willing to pay the difference in transmission option price, but do not feel I should have to eat the depreciation on a 1 year old tractor with less than 50 hours that has a transmission design flaw. By the way, JD pulled this transmission from its lineup, which is a clear signal that there is no fix. JD now has what I believe is called a Syncmesh transmission as the base transmission. I guess they couldn't fix it so they synchronized it. My friends 4300 transmission also had the fix and his not only started grinding again soon after the fix, it completely crapped out this weekend. He can only get it into reverse. The dealer told him he couldn't get to it for three weeks and he has no loners available. Nothing but the best from JD, huh. If you can't tell I'm just a little irritated. I grew up on a farm and we had only JD tractors. No problems ever. My father collects JD two cylinders, he has approximately 12. I have a start on my collection with my 1959 430 row crop. I've always loved JD. I just wish they would fess up that they goofed and let me have a new tractor with a well engineered transmission so I can go about enjoying using the tractor and not have the hair on the back of my neck stand up every time my transmission grinds. E-mail me directly if you desire more information. ....

CollarShift Problems

View my Photos
L.F. Denaro, IV

2000-05-11          16173

Glad I bought a JD 970 instead of its 4000 series counterpart. 970 doesn't have any of your problems and especially didn't have to be assembled in a warehouse in Augusta. Good luck. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login