Go Bottom Go Bottom

Problem with 3 pt on 5103

View my Photos
saddleman
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-07-19          155417

We have a fairly new JD 5103 and never had any problems. Now it won't lower no matter what. Any ideas?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-07-19          155419

When you say "no matter what" it isn't clear what you tried so best to start with the basics. Not familiar with that model but a lot of these machines have a 3-point rate of drop knob at the front base of the seat. Have you tried playing with that? If it's all the way one direction the 3-point won't lower. Do you have a backhoe or other implement that uses power beyond ports on the rear of the tractor? If so, has anything been installed or removed lately? ....

View my Photos
saddleman

2008-07-19          155421

We tried that know both ways and no change. The hitch is up all the way now and won't do anything when you move the levers. The tractor does have a bucket and it works fine. Nothing has been added or removed. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-07-19          155422

Is there any weight on it? If not, does it move if you put some weight on it? ....

View my Photos
saddleman

2008-07-19          155423

There's an auger on it now. ....

View my Photos
candoarms

2008-07-20          155426

Saddleman,

Place your 3-point control lever in the lowest setting, all the way forward. You can do this without running the tractor. Now reach down in front of the seat and open the flow control valve. Turn it counter-clockwise, as you're looking at the knob. After just a few turns, the 3-point hitch should begin to drop.

If not, it's possible that the knob isn't actually turning the valve shaft. The knob may be spinning on the shaft. Check to see if the shaft is turning counter-clockwise as you turn the knob.

You mentioned that you have an auger on the tractor. Is the auger PTO powered, or is it powered by hydraulic hoses running from a set of outlets on the rear of the tractor? If your auger is powered by a hydraulic motor, it's possible that you have somehow bypassed the 3-point control circuit.

Joel ....

View my Photos
harvey

2008-07-20          155432

It could just be stuck maybe lifted all the way to top and a linkage has bound it up. Put some external pressure on it watch linkages rap linkages with hammer. ....

View my Photos
saddleman

2008-07-20          155456

We tried with both levers in the down position and turned the knob Counter clockwise and no change. It did look like the pin attached was turning that goes into the body of the tractor. ....

View my Photos
saddleman

2008-07-20          155457

We also looked at the linkages and couldn't find where anything was tight or in a bind. ....

View my Photos
candoarms

2008-07-21          155467

Saddleman,

You might want to take a look at the three-point control lever. It may not be attached to the valve under the seat.

With the seat tilted forward, tractor off, look at the three-point control lever. You'll see a metal arm that rotates around a pivot point as you move the control lever. Check to see if the control lever is physically attached to the tractor.

This probably isn't a difficult problem. It's more than likely something simple. I wish I could take a look at it for you.

Joel ....

View my Photos
saddleman

2008-07-21          155474

We actually did that yesterday and everything appeared to be attached and moving fine. ....

View my Photos
wilkesr

2010-08-21          173349

Did they get this resolved?? I can't figure out where to losen the know. My 5103 has a big bolt right under the seat and it has a 'bleeder' type 1/4"-ish valve to the right (as your sitting in it). ....

View my Photos
devtex

2010-09-06          173767

My 5103 with just under 400 hours did the same thing. I hooked up the brush hog and it would not go down. First I made sure the levers turned the respective shafts. The rest of the hydraulics worked fine. I figured a valve was stuck. The unit has a lock for the 3 pt., which also can control the rate of drop. It's under the seat on the right side, make sure it's not turned all the way in. I next put jack stands under the mower, then removed the seat. Seat removal consists of two 3/4" bolts, the seat needs to be moved forward and back to access them. I then blew off the dirt and crude around the housing, removed (slowly) the three allen screws hold the housing on. When the cover reaches a certain point, about 1/4" away from the transmission the pressure will release. Where eye protection! The jack stands allowed a very small amount of hydraulic fluid to blow out, otherwise the full stroke of the hydraulics would have blown out. Next remove both valves and look for rust, mine had rust on them, a very small amount that I was able to clean off with a rag. I put things back together and it worked fine. I feel the problem may lie with the super thin gasket they use, Moisture can get in and corrode the "dry side" of these valves.

The repair took 15 minutes.

I hope this helps someone ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login