Go Bottom Go Bottom

JD 4310 Intermittently Cuts Out

View my Photos
crunch
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-06-03          154201

My 4310 just started acting up. It runs fine for 15 minutes, then cuts out and stalls and there is a clicking noise until I turn the key off. I can restart it after some cranking and it runs great for another 15-20 minutes. Sometimes I can rev the throttle and keep it going through one of these rough spots. I guess I should check the fuel filter first and then trace my electrical connections to make sure they are clean and well grounded? Does this sound like a familiar problem to you? Where do you recommend I start looking?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-06-03          154203

Sounds as if it may be a shut off solenoid problem in the injector pump. That or a bad start switch with a faulty run connection to the shut off solenoid in the pump. ....

View my Photos
candoarms

2008-06-03          154209

Crunch,

There are several safety switches in your tractor, all of which serve a purpose. However, they sometimes cause more problems than they cure.

There could well be a safety switch under your seat, which prevents the tractor from starting or RUNNING, should you leave the seat. This switch sometimes causes problems as you travel over rough ground. As you bounce up and down in the seat, the safety device shuts down the tractor. This switch could also cause you problems when mowing ditches, as you lean to one side.

There are other such switches located on the clutch, the PTO engagement levers, the neutral transmission switch, etc........but these will only prevent the tractor from starting. Once running, none of these switches would cause the tractor to shut down.

I'd check to see if you don't have a safety switch under the operator's seat causing you this grief. It could be out of adjustment, or it may be bad.

Note to self: many people bypass this switch, because it's impossible to operate a log splitter, or a PTO driven water pump, unless somebody is sitting on the seat. Disable or bypass this switch at your own risk.

Joel ....

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-06-04          154213

If my memory is correct there is a fuel shutoff solenoind on the injection pump that had a problem of fuel getting into it and shorting them out, If you have a tech manual there is a test procedure for it.
Joel; The PTO will operate without an operator on the seat as long as the parking brake is locked. I got back late once when a different driver was sent to the farm to pick up corn from a bin. The brake wasn't locked so he had found and piled enough rocks on the seat to keep the PTO going to operate the bin unload auger, good ole American engenuity. Frank. ....

View my Photos
crunch

2008-06-04          154244

Thank you all for your replies. I do have a tech manual and this shutoff solenoid sounds like a good lead to follow. It did seem as though it was an electrical problem as opposed to fuel filter. Joel, the problem occurred whether in the seat or while out of the seat. So I don't think its a safety switch problem - but I will definitely keep that in mind.

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login