Go Bottom Go Bottom

rear scoop

View my Photos
Danny Yerks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-04-24          15045

Has anyone used a rear scoop? Both Quality Farm and Fleet, and Tractor Supply Company have them. They're both reversible and the dump can be activated from the tractor seat with a pull rope. How well do they work? Has anyone tried using a hydraulic cylinder in place of the top 3pt link for added versatility?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

rear scoop

View my Photos
Scott T.

2000-04-24          15051

Danny,
I hope you get good responses to this question. I would like to know the same things.

Scott T. ....

rear scoop

View my Photos
Kevin K

2000-04-24          15052

I have an old one. I use it with my 8N and soon with my new 790 which is currently being built. I picked mine up for $100. I am in the process of digging a drainage ditch and the scoop works well if you keep at it. I usually hall the contents of the scoop to areas that require filling. When you dump, don't lift the scoop to high, then you can use it to spread as its dumping. I have not used it backwards. This is an economical way to dig and move soil. this area alot of guys had basements dug with an 8N and a scoop, 50 years ago that is. My prefered method (more fun way to dig a ditch) will be with my 790, front end loader and my 1ton with hoist. ....

rear scoop

View my Photos
Mike S.

2000-04-24          15054

Danny--rear scoops are excellent for moving materials from one location to a nearby location. Before getting a front loader, I used a rear scoop for several years to move tons of rocks, gravel and soil as well as to use it as a small carry-all. I would not bother with adding a hydraulic cylinder since a rope attached to the trip lever will usually cause the scoop to dump its load while you are in the tractor seat (unless the load has been pushed to the back of the scoop causing it to be back-heavy instead of front heavy). After dumping the load, simply lower the scoop as you drive forward and it will reseat the scoop and then raise the scoop for transport. The only real disadvantage of a rear scoop is that it cannot be raised very high. A rear scoop can even be used to peel up sod when it is turned around to face forward--but dumping a forward facing rear scoop isn't very easy from the tractor seat.
Mike S. ....

rear scoop

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2000-04-24          15067

Danny, if I didn't have a front end loader, I'd have one of those scoops. And yes, some people have replaced the screw type top link with a hydraulic one, and even replaced one or both of the lifting rods with hydraulic cylinders to provide power tip and tilt. And when I can afford it, I'm going to do that to my tractor. ....

rear scoop

View my Photos
charlie

2000-04-24          15072

if you buy one,you'll always find a use for it.the one that i have was bought by my dad in 1950.it's a very handy tool.and yes he dug basements with it.one thing i like about the older models is they have a lever and not a rope.you can find them at sales for a reasonable price.as far as the top link goes a cylinder is the way to go if you want to spend the money.we've got a 335 and 340a with the gannon power link and tilt.you try one and you'll never go back.the thing to remember is the older tools weren't built for the power and torque that the newer machines put out,so take your time so you don't tear anything up.i don't use it much,but when i need it i got it.good luck ....

rear scoop

View my Photos
Kruser

2000-04-24          15078

Danny... I bought the one from Tractor Supply several years back, and used it a lot with my old Ford 8N. I still have it, although haven't used it since I got a new tractor with a front loader. As someone else said, its strong point is being able to rip into the ground (if you have the power and traction). Great for digging ditches etc. I have an old Ford sales video from when the 8N was new, showing a farm pond/dam being built with 4 or 5 8Ns with rear scoops! My only real problem was that if the load of dirt was too far to the back (opposite the cutting edge), it didn't want to dump when the rope was pulled. I never even thought of adding hydraulics to it, but some type of dump-assist would be nice. In general, you can move a lot of "stuff" with 'em! ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login