Go Bottom Go Bottom

John Deere 955 Lift Arms Slow after being workd a while

View my Photos
brianlyons
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-01-08          150072

Thanks for the input guys. I did a few more test and now noticed that the arms get slow going down when the unit has been ran for a while. I was box blading in high gear.
Should I box blade in high or low? Any ideas? Thanks

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-01-09          150077

Brian, I assume you have a HST and it would seem box blade work would be heavier than you should be doing in high range. Now, if you did would that cause your lift to be slower to go down? Are you sure as you are running the tractor you are not just gettig more comfortable with the operation and it seems to be getting slower? Just a thought.

BTW, mind me asking general area of SC you are in? kt ....

View my Photos
brianlyons

2008-01-09          150083

It's so slow you can barely see it falling.

Greenville ....

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-01-14          150213

High or low range should not make a difference but RPM or engine speed would. To check to see if the valve or the cylinder is leaking raise it to the highest position and then close the valve off. If the hitch cylinder is bad it will still leak down, if it doesn't then it is the valve. ....

View my Photos
randywatson

2008-01-15          150237

not sure on your particular tractor, but my 7100 has an adjustment for down speed. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2008-01-16          150247

Brian asked to me two questions, one should he box blade in high range. Not having a JD but a Kubota with HST it is my understanding that is heavier work (if you really are moving any dirt) than high range should be used for. My pumpkin would run hot it I did such, not counting it would not have the torque in that range.

His other question is why his lift arms drop so slow WHEN or AFTER the tractor has ran for a while. If he is not varying any speed control for dropping of the lift or varying how quickly he lowers the lift lever, then why would it be slower to drop when the oil is warmer? With the JD set up is it possible to be moving the lift arm control due to body position? I would assume with box blading he is doing some looking back so could twisting in the seat be allowing his body to be moving a knob or lever? kt ....

View my Photos
Murf

2008-01-16          150251

Sounds like something mechanical, as the fluid heats up metal parts exposed to that oil heat also and expand, if that expansion physically reduces the flow that would explain the slow down.

Could also be that a seal of some sort in the control valve is leaking and as the fluid heats up and it gets thinner more of it (because it's under pressure) is leaking past and causing the slow down.

If for instance fluid was bleeding past the seal from the pressure side (which should be forcing the cylinder to contract) to the return side (which should be emptying not filling) that would cause the problem also.

Best of luck.

View my Photos
brianlyons

2008-01-16          150268

Thanks for the input from everyone.
I change the hyd filter and need to run it longer
to get it hotter then the short test I did the other day.
I like the word "pumpkin". What's a green one a cucumber or a squash?

View my Photos
kthompson

2008-01-17          150276

Brian, the green is either an "un ripe" pumpkin or a watermelon. It is my belief when the product matures or reaches perfection it does turn ORANGE! Sort of like the school in your backyard. Hey, no humor what is life? At least there is pumpkin pie if need be. kt ....

View my Photos
lrobe58516

2008-01-19          150436

Hi Brian,
You may have figured this out by now, but there is an adjustment knob under the seat. Turning it clockwise slows the speed of drop. Yours might be almost closed, in which case you would get very slow dropping, and also overheating the hydraulic system. On my 955 I have is wide open so as not to chance that. It is there as a safety feature so as not to drop the implement accidentally on your foot or some small animal. I also box scrape in low range most of the time, except when I am finishing up and have the box set so that it is smoothing, and not gathering up too much material. Then I run it in high, with the five-eighths minus gravel flying. Great fun.

Good luck, and open that valve!

Larry ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login