Go Bottom Go Bottom

Steering Wheel on Zero turn

View my Photos
Briguy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-04-22          141425

Hi guys,
i've got a question for you. Did or does John Deere make a zero turn lawn mower with a steering wheel ? I looked on the Deere site and saw the regular configuration looking mowers but this one is supposed to have the deck out front. A buddy said he saw a JD he thought looked brand new with a steering wheel and the mower out front that was zero turn and i want to see if he's right. Hope you can help.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-04-22          141428

When I think of a true zero-turn I think of a machine with independently operated drive wheels that (key word) steer it also. For sake of arguement this would exclude walkbehinds with or w/o a stand-up or sit-down sulky. The machines you describe in my opinion aren't true zero-turns in that there is a separate "steering wheel" or "wheels" (think garden tractor) that are operated by the driver/operator. My neighbor has JD out-front mower with two rear wheel casters that don't steer it. Another neighbor has a JD "garden tractor-type" (lawn mower) that has four-wheel steering--not quite a zero-turn. Cub Cadet now offers a 4-whl steer model. ....

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-04-23          141436

I don't know if they still offer it or not, but a couple of years back Deere had a ZTR mower that looked like a regular riding mower. The front wheels were actually swivelling castor wheels and it had a steering wheel which varied the fluid between the left & right side drive motors on the rear wheels.

It was a very pricey unit IMHO, and didn't seem to do anything any other mower couldn't.

I was told by the dealer who was showing it at a country fair that it was supposed to be aimed at converting 'traditional' mower buyers into ZTR buyers.

I have never seen any FMM (front mount mower) with a steering wheel instead of the usual controls, but I know if they had it on the unit I mentioned above, it is possible.

Are you sure he didn't see just a commercial FMM and mistake it for ZTR? They will, with the use of the independant steering brakes, turn almost zero radius.

See the link below.

Best of luck. ....

Link:   Commercial FMM

View my Photos
Chief

2007-04-23          141440

Briguy,

If I am not mistaken, I believe your friend may have been referring to the John Deere F525 and F735. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2007-04-23          141442

Did they look like either one of these? ....

Picture Link
John Deere Tractors Steering Wheel on Zero turn

View my Photos
Briguy

2007-04-24          141475

I think youve found the answer. It must have been one of the ones in the pic link. He said it was a JD and had the mower out front. Thanks for the quick response guys. I knew you'd have the answer. ....

View my Photos
AnnBrush

2007-04-24          141493

I guess there are not too many single handed mower operators out there - imagine trying to handle a ZTR with just one hand. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2007-04-24          141495

Actually, all of our ZTR's are quite simple to operate with one hand for the most part and I encourage the use of one-handed operation for the new operators.

Our commercial units have swivelling handles that will meet in the center directly in front of the operator, or off slightly to either side. With an average sized hand you can easily hold both handles in one hand, and still move one forward and the other back enough to make an average turn single-handed.

All too often the newer operators figure if it has ZTR it should be used every time, the result is more chewed up turf than nicely cut stuff.

IMHO, the whole need for ZTR is over-blown, a competant operator with a tight turning unit like the one Randy pointed out, or a Ferris ProCut will do as much in a day as any ZTR, and without nearly as much risk of doing damage.

Besides, most ZTR's are 4-wheelers, with little caster wheels out front and no way to hoist them or the deck high enough for things like climbing curbs.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2007-04-24          141497

Murf, now really what do you think about ZTR mowers? Don't hold back. I am LOL as I typed that. As a person who has one and really enjoys it and it has done a great job and it cuts a good bit of grass each week...I agree with all you have said about them not only in this thread but many others. They will destroy more grass than you can grow if you are not carefull. They are probably the least stable of all riding mowers on wet grass on slopes or slopes period. But used correctly they can be great. If not different story. Never riden an ATV, to me they are a lot alike...fast equals dangerous. But that is my opinion. kt ....

View my Photos
januaryman

2013-08-25          187933

John Deere has the sst16 that looks like a regular rider. It is equipped with spin steer so that you can turn in a zero radius like a regular zero turn mower. ....

View my Photos
charlieK

2013-09-11          187976

can you elaborate on that "spin steer"? ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login