Go Bottom Go Bottom

JD 4200 Won t Start

View my Photos
todd7polaris
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-04-21          141403

99' JD 4200 Hydrostatic with 600 hrs. engine turns over but no ignition. i am working thru the manual troubleshooting section: oil is ok, coolant ok, fuel/fuel filter & lines and air filters good. no click turning the key so i checked the resistance on the solenoid...it was slightly out of tolerance so i replaced it with a new JD fuel shutoff solenoid (tolerances on that unit also different than published in the JD manual i bought from the dealership, this only adds to the confusion.) Anyway, NO change, still no audible click when i turn the key and the tractor won't start. the manual directs going thru the "Fuel Shutoff Solenoid Circuit
Diagnosis”...so far the seat safety switch tests ok. i almost have an interest in bypassing the safety inhibits (if i new how) because i have had intermittent issues before but never a consistant WONT START as is the case now. Any suggestions???

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

JD 4200 Won t Start

View my Photos
jd110_1963

2007-04-21          141404

Usually on these models, when it cranks but the fuel solenoid won't engage, it is caused by a bad thermistor. This thermistor is located behind the fuse panel. If you remove the panel and pull it out, there is an orange colored "chicklet" (remember the small square gum?) that is soldered in the harness behind the K3 relay. The part number for the thermistor is LVU10323. You need to cut out the old one and splice in the new one. i prefer soldering it back in, but in a pinch, you can crimp it in using a couple of small butt connectors. If you have the schematic, the thermistor is labeled R2. ....

JD 4200 Won t Start

View my Photos
todd7polaris

2007-04-22          141410

thanks for your prompt and specific reply! i will let you know how this resolves. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login