Go Bottom Go Bottom

JD 4700 cranks won t start

View my Photos
jknoche5
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-03-31          140902

After a few months respite I turn the key and crank nicely but get no hint of ignition. I drained the entire gas tank and refueled new and cleaned fuel filter bowl. I can feel air being sucked into intake. So I think I have air and fuel. Is there a kill switch somewhere that does not effect cranking? (If PTO was engaged it wouldn't crank, seat kill switch likewise would mean no crank.) Am I forgetting something simple???? Is there an ignition fuse?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
harvey
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-04-01          140905

Very possible the electronic fuel shut off valve is stuck or not getting power.

Check connections at injector pump. It's a real PITA if loader is on, ask me how I know. The plunger is a magnet arrangement and should pull in and out with key switch. Typically there is a connection just B4 the switch and those wires always seem to boogger up. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2007-04-01          140907

Do you get any smoke from the exhaust while cranking? You indicate it is cranking at normal speed, so if fuel is being injected you should see some smoke. If you see no smoke the two most common reasons a diesel won't start is either lack of adequate compression or absence of fuel. Best of luck. Frank. ....

View my Photos
Billy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-04-01          140909

When you turn the key to the on position, you should here the fuel solenoid engage. If there's no click, there's where your problem is. ....

View my Photos
jknoche5

2007-04-02          140938

I DO hear a click when key is turned. Is Harvey's "electronic fuel shut off valve" the same thing as Billy's fuel solenoid? I do NOT see vapors coming from exhaust (are they always discernable?). Strong puffing from exhaust seems to indicate compression is okay. What next? ....

View my Photos
harvey

2007-04-03          140967

Yes they are the same. I'm not gonna disagree with anyone on the symptoms. But just because it clicks does not mean it's working. It may click and still not pull in.

That is if you have checked fuel flow to that point, ie: manual fuel shut off etc.

Mine has acted up 3X and it still puts me over the edge. There seems to be no ryme or reason when it happens. I take things apart clen the contacts and all is fine. ....

View my Photos
jknoche5

2007-04-03          140968

My shop manual hasn't arrived yet. Can I just unscrew the solenoid cover or is there more to it than that? Also, can I shoot diesel fuel into the intake (as you would starter fluid) to confirm that I have enough cranking speed and compression? Or will that bugger it up somehow. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2007-04-03          140969

Don't squirt Diesel fuel into the intake manifold. it must be atomized like your injectors do to get it into a condition that it wiil fire from the heat of compression. I haven't did this myself, but I've watched mechanics keep a diesl running just by spraying WD-40 into the intake manifold while cranking it. Don't be temped to use either for this, It might work, but if it don't you could end up with broken piston rings and other internal damage. Frank. ....

View my Photos
AnnBrush

2007-04-03          140975

I have a 4300. Last month I had the same problem, engine would crank but not start. I wore the battery down, and recharged it several times and still same problem. I noticed that the battery would self discharge after charging so I had it tested and it failed. Got a new battery - now tractor starts just fine. Have you checked the battery - is it cranking with enough VOOMA? ....

View my Photos
Billy

2007-04-03          140978

Harvey, I didn't mean for it to sound like if it clicked it couldn't still be the problem. My meaning was if it didn't click it would be the best place to start. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login