Go Bottom Go Bottom

Considering a Jump to a 4310

View my Photos
Nuruadv
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-02-25          140001

Guys I have a 2001, JD 4100, with 200Cx loader, 54" MMM, and a 54" snow blade only 115 hours of duty sofar. I found a pretty good deal for newer JD 4310 with a 72"MMM. I hope to work out the deal so it limits my OOPC (out of pocket cash)

I am looking at this for a couple of reasons:
1) with a recent snow/ice/sleet storm and our long private road (1/2 mile), I ended up plowing 4 driveways in the neighborhood and almost all of the road - took 4 hours and it did put a bit of a challenge on my unit with its filled tires. If we get a slightly larger amount of snow, it will be worse and a lot longer. :-C :-C

2), I want to mow my acre or so of grass faster than I can now, and a 72" MMM should do the trick. :-C

3), I have some landscaping chores (Patio install, hill gouging/grading and retaining wall install) coming up and I want to rent/buy some heavier duty equipment to get it done. easier/quicker. :-C

4)I occassionlly have to move large rocks and fallen trees, and again the 4100 comes up a bit short. :-C

5) Land clearing operations are coming - I need to clear some additional brush from around my property.

Any advice about moving up to a 4310? Or should I stay with the 4100?

Nuru

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
hardwood

2007-02-25          140003

Hurdavd: First compact I ever drove was a 4100 demo. it didn't quite have the power I was looking for, so I bought a 4300/430 loader, it wa a great unit, then traded for my current 4310. Ther is a huge difference in the capabillitys between the 4100/4310, it will do everthing you ask and more. You don't say if the 4310 is a gear or hydro drive, both my 4300 and 4310 were 12/12 power reversers which I personaly prefer over hydro, but they're both good. Unless your lawn is super level I question whether you really want the 72 in. mower, It won't do quite as level a job as perhaps a 60 in. I've got a 430 loader on mine, that isn't a current model anymore but the new loaders will fit just fine. I've also got a 48 backhoe, rear mount finish mower, tiller, etc. Only weak point is kind of a Mickey Mouse tilt wheel lock mechanism, it will break, but not to bad to live without ot replace. Best of l;uck. Frank. ....

View my Photos
DK35vince

2007-02-25          140004

hardwood gave some good advice, the 4310 is a really nice machine.
I have a little differant opinion on the 72"MMM. I have a 72" MMM on my JD 850,it gives an excellant cut on my uneven lawn.I recommend the 72" mower.. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-02-25          140005

I love my 4310. Frank is right about the mickey-mouse tilt wheel but if you're like most guys you'll set the position and leave it alone. The dealer lubed mine up and it works fine but if it becomes stuck again it's no big deal since the wheel is already in the right place for me. If it sticks you can still use the tractor just fine. ....

View my Photos
Nuruadv

2007-02-25          140006

Thanks Hardwood. The unit is a eHydro, and I know i will need to get a loader ($3500), and a blade ($1500), before the next years snow season. We had a coupleof inches of snow today and I zipped through it with my 4100. ....

View my Photos
Nuruadv

2007-02-25          140007

DK35vince; thanks for the advice on the 72MMM! ....

View my Photos
Nuruadv

2007-02-25          140008

Kwschumm; thanks for the info on the tilt wheeel. I would say I would do the same. If I eventually get a cab, can i install AC? I know I can install heat.

Nuru ....

View my Photos
Nuruadv

2007-02-26          140023

Update - working with Dealer on finalizing the trade. I will get the 4310 with a 300CX Loader, when done.

I was going to get a angling blade with it, but I just don't want to spend the extra $$$$. Also I have heard that some use their loader instead to move snow, where I have always used a Blade. Never used a loader for that work, so I Any opinions?

Regards

Nuru ....

View my Photos
Iowafun
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-02-26          140024

I also have a 4310 ehydro and I love it. Unfortunately, since I moved, it's sitting in a barn. I would have really liked it after the "over-blown" snow storm in Wisconsin this past weekend.

I used both the loader (43) and a 6 ft 3pt blade to clear snow. I used the blade to clear the main drive and the top section as much as I could. I then used the loader to push and scoop the drifts and remaining snow. Ok, that may not be very clear.

The shop and garage were opposite of each other so the doors faced each other. So a blade can only do so much with the snow in between the 2 buildings. So I would do what i could, then use the bucket to push the snow to one side. The loader was then used to lift and dump drifts as necessary. Also, the loader was used to pull snow away from buildings so I could get it with the blade or scoop it for dumping.

I also found the loader handy to knock snow piles down to manageable height. Done by raising the loader up several feat and ramming the pile which pushes the top back making room for more snow. The loader was also handy for the snow plow pile at the front of the driveway.

In using the bucket/loader, I would lower the bucket and try to get it as level as possible but the lip every so slightly raised so I wouldn't get a load of gravel & snow. Takes some practice.

The 72" MMM is a wonderful piece of equipment. It cut my mowing time by 50-60% compared to a 17 hp rider with a 54" deck. Wide cut and the power to run the deck at speed is a beautiful thing! I didn't have the most level yard, but I adjusted how I made the cuts so the wide width of the MMM was not an issue. ....

View my Photos
Nuruadv

2007-02-26          140026

Thanks for your input. I have heard that people position the loader to just move the snow, is that possible? Yes I like the wide cut of that 72 also. Another question can the loader be positioned to move the snow without digging up the asphalt?

nuru ....

View my Photos
yooperpete

2007-02-26          140027

I use a combination of FEL and rear blade for snow removal. The rear blade is only good for about 8-10" for a single pass otherwise it gets too heavy for the tractor and will push the tractor sideways unless you have a large CUT like 45 or more HP. If you try to skim the top, the tractor will get stuck trying to drive through 8-12" of loose snow while pushing an angled blade full of snow off the top.

I generally use the FEL for most of the snow removal and push the snow at diagonals from the direction of the driveway widening it such to allow for snow to drift back in before bothering the actual driveway.

You can also pile it high for the kids to build igloos and slide ramps.

I leave a little of the snow on the drive and make a final or final passes with the bucket slightly tipped to clear the drive and deposit this at driveway turnarounds. That way any driveway stones that impregnant into the snow will thaw and drop on the driveway and not require raking in the spring.

Going off course here, Stihl makes a powered broom and combo mini-rototiller that rakes up the stones when you make a blunder by going too deep or when the county throws stones all over your lawn at the edge of the road. This broom (rubber paddle) has about an 18-24" width and works real good. ....

View my Photos
Jackpot

2007-02-26          140029

Not too much that I can add, except that I love my 4310 with the HD loader...........I bought a 6" chipper for it also....What a machine !!
Jackpot ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2007-02-26          140030

Nuruadv; Since you mention a rear blade I'll throw out an idea for you. I've had a couple different regular rear mount three point hitch blades for full size farm tractors and was always pretty dissapointed with them. No matter how heavy the blade was they just would'nt cut into soil that had'nt been torn loose by a scarifier or something else, in loose soil or loose gravel, etc. they worked fine. So rather than buy a rear blade for the 4310 I bought a Land Pride rear mount three point landscape rake. Greatest tool ever invented to spread new crushed rock, it will move any soil that was loose enough for a regular blade , and it is a dream come true in snow. Just my two cents worth , ask others what they think before you buy a regular blade. Best of luck. Frank. ....

View my Photos
Iowafun

2007-02-26          140031

In response to your question about positioning a loader so it doesn't dig up the paving: yes and no.

If the paving is cracked and stuff so you would clearly snag a crack, then you will either tear up the paving or tear up your equipment. Look at guys that clear parking lots for a living. Many use Bobcats and the big jointed front end loaders all with buckets. So it can be done. You have to carefully watch the angle of the loader so it's scraping or sliding along and not digging into the pavement. My experience with it is limited as the only pavement was the 2 feet from the garage door to the gravel and the road. I had no problems with either. But I often left a thin layer of packed snow since I have a 4x4 pickup. Mostly to keep rocks out of the grass.

There are about 1,001 ways to clear snow using a tractor. And many depend on your circumstances. I tilted my rear blade so it leans forward so it's scraping over the driveway and not digging in.

To protect a paved driveway, some guys have taken to bolting a thick rubber piece (old wide belts or used conveyor belts) so the rubber is contacting the surface and won't damage the pavement. Others bolt on a strip of polyethylene (durable plastic) so that wears against the pavement and not the blade. Point is either protects the pavement and acts as a wear surface to protect your blade and your tractor.

Some guys use a box blade and drive backwards to clear snow. I find that hard on the neck. Hence using the loader is nice. I also added a light to the ROPS that shines down behind the tractor so I can see what I'm doing if plowing at night. The 4310 wire harness has an extra plug for adding a light I think it pops out near the back of the seat. I'd have to look to give an exact location. ....

View my Photos
Nuruadv

2007-02-26          140033

Well i bailed on not getting the blade and just went for it. I am getting 12 months no cash/no interest so I can handle that. Thanks for the loader tips though!

My unit should be here in one to two weeks - waiting for Loader mounts!

When it arrives, it will be configured as:
JD 4310 eHydro
72" MidMount Mower
72" Angling Blade
300cx Loader

Nuru

View my Photos
Nuruadv

2007-02-26          140034

Hardwood, i will take the under advisement on the rear rake instead of blade. I went ahead and got the angling blade cause i got 12 months same as cash on the diff between my trade-in and the cost of the tractor with the new implements. I just gotta pay off the $8700 by Feb of next year. :-(

But this should definitely speed things up around the house for yard work. And I get to keep my tooth bar!

Nuru ....

View my Photos
Nuruadv

2007-02-26          140035

JD 4310 2003 with low hours. ....

View my Photos
Nuruadv

2007-02-26          140036

Hardwood/DK35vince

Back to the 72" MMM - Realistically, isn't the key to smooth cutting (less scalping), is the adjustments and having higher grass? I thought all the larger mowers required tuning so that they limit/don't do scal;ping?

regards

Nuru ....

View my Photos
DK35vince

2007-02-27          140043

You may have to spend a little time setting up the mower to get the cut you like and to prevent scalping. But it shouldn't be a problem. ....

View my Photos
JAZAK5

2007-02-27          140049

I mow my lawn with a 72 inch deck,just make sure your tires are properly inflated , I got rid of my solid tires,they bounce to much at high speeds and if it doesnt have one get a front mounted anti-scalping roller the wider the better "agri-supply" have them. ....

View my Photos
Iowafun

2007-02-27          140058

My 4310 came with the 72" MMM set for an unrealistically low cut. So I had to adjust it so it's much higher. I like to keep the grass a bit taller so it handles the summer heat much better. It also has the effect of reducing any scalping. ....

View my Photos
Nuruadv

2007-02-27          140059

Anti-scalping roller, did not even cross my mind. Definitely will look into that, thanks.

Regards

Nuru ....

View my Photos
Nuruadv

2007-02-27          140060

High cut is also my favored style, so this should be easy. BTW, Does anyone know where to get the 72 inch MMM User Manual?

Regards

Nuru ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2007-02-28          140065

DK35vince; I based my opinion on the 72 inch deck on my wife's preference of grass cutting style. She IS!!! in charge of the front yard since I accidently??? mowed off some kind of flower that I thought was a weed a couple years ago. She likes it short just like my haircuts. I do lover her to pieces, but trying to convince a strong minded German woman of anything is difficult at times. She growls about scalping but I can't convince her to lift the deck and it will take care of it's self. Anyway you are correct, lift the deck, set the rollere and the 72 will do just fine. Frank. ....

View my Photos
Nuruadv

2007-02-28          140066

Hardwood, One question, did you replace the flower? LOL!

Regards

Nuru ....

View my Photos
Nuruadv

2007-02-28          140067

BTW, Does anyone know where to get the 72 inch MMM User Manual? Download it? ....

View my Photos
Iowafun

2007-02-28          140070

There's a user manual for it? I'll pay attention because I don't have one for mine and it was new. I don't know if they changed it since mine was built. But it's not too hard to put on and off the 4310. BUT, turn your front wheels fully to one side before shutting the unit off. Then you will need to raise the tractor up when pulling the deck out or shoving it underneath. It won't clear otherwise. I disconnect everything and then raise it up and pull the deck out and then lower it using a floor jack. It's pretty simple. But there is a sequence to doing things that can get you cussing when you forget the order.

I also turn the MMM wheels 90 degrees to aid in pulling the deck out sideways. Seems obvious, but it took me several times before the "duh" moment arrived. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2007-02-28          140071

Nuruady; Seems like after the smoke cleared that it cost me dinner out, or maybe I got her a new #14 aluminum scoop shovel, we fed a lot of hogs at that time. Your dealer can order you a manual, I've ordered them for other things, so I'm sure they will be able to take care of it for you. Happy mowing. Frank. ....

View my Photos
Nuruadv

2007-02-28          140072

lowafun, yes there is. I found it on ebay and ordered a used one for 22 bucks. The Service manual (CD) for the tractor was 75 bucks from JD, I am trying to see if someone has that for less bucks, no luck yet.

You mention lifting the tractor up - as in using a floor jack? Wow, my 41q00 did not require that, it was turning the wheels and then pushing it out. However that was with a 54: deck, which only weighs 200 pounds! :D Hmmm, this is a 72 inch deck, and weighs a gazillion pounds. I might need a winch?

Nuru
4100 Turbocharged ....

View my Photos
Nuruadv

2007-02-28          140073

Frank, (I sent out a previous response but I did not see it post)

Yeah, I know what you mean. I probably need to take my wife out to lunch and dinner since she is still hot at me for trading a JD GT-235 for the JD 4100. That was a pure move to handle the volume of snow I saw coming, and good thing I did - we got 24 inches over a two day period when we lived in the NE and the 4100 worked just fine. However we had a snow/ice/sleet combo followed by freezing temps and i sure could see where the 4310 would come in handy over the 4100 - in speed and strength. It took me over 4 hours to clear 4 driveways and the 1/3 to 1/2 mile private road of only 4inches of this stuff, and I got filled rears.

Regards

Nuru ....

View my Photos
Iowafun

2007-02-28          140082

Nuruadv - your wife is mad? My wife wasn't thrilled with the 4310. Then she mowed with it. I couldn't get her off the tractor. It took her being pregnant to get her off the tractor so I could use it. She loves the 4310 compared to our JD 325 mower. I do too.

I use a regular floor jack positioned under the front axle (wooden block in between) to raise up the wheels. My 72" MMM has those front wheels that pivot and are adjustable. Well, their height is tall enough that they hit some lines and such underneath the 4310. I tried ramps once, but then I didn't have enough distance to slide it between the ramps and the rear tires. More cussing ensued. I can take the deck off and on in about 15 minutes now. I wouldn't do it often, but it's not terrible. ....

View my Photos
Nuruadv

2007-02-28          140088

Lowafun; Yes she used to give me the business about the 4100, and does not like to talk about it. However, once I let her mow with it, she really liked it. Well she liked it so much, she mowed a 65 foot strip on a neighbor's grass cause she did not know where to stop. I plan to let her take a turn on the 4310 once I get used to it, and see if it hypnotizes her into liking it. I know the first snow that comes where she cannot get out of the neighborhood and I rescue her with the 4310, it will be ok then. Just like the 4100 was when we got 24 inches in two days, and she could not get out of the garage!

Regardzs

Nuru ....

View my Photos
Nuruadv

2007-03-16          140471

:) Well it is in! I found that the tilt wheel is stuck, so i will work on that. I also got one rear tailight out, and that appears to be related to sometjing wrong in the wiring.. That all ik found sofar. I will take some pics when the plowing is done tomorrow. And upload them after I figure out how to do it. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2007-03-16          140473

Congratulations! The tilt wheel isn't suprising. Sometimes sticks can catch the wiring harnesses under the tractor so you'll want to check that out. Make sure they're tied up tight. Of course the rear light could always be a bad bulb :) ....

View my Photos
Nuruadv

2007-03-17          140475

kwschumm , thanks; i tried the bulb and it works on the other side and the bulb on the other side does not work on the right side. So i gotta do some trouble shooting.

anyone know how to get that tilt wheel dislodged? ....

View my Photos
Nuruadv

2007-03-24          140707

Got it dislodged, quickly put it back. Definitely as flimsy as everyone indicated. Had my local dealer put the wheels on their widest settings. Looks like that made the unit much more stable on slopes. got the unit in the local dealer for the once over and sofar no surprises. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login