Go Bottom Go Bottom

MMM for 955

View my Photos
NOMIRT
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-01-02          138424

Hi folks, looking at buying a 1992 JD 955 w/hydrostatic drive, FEL, front 2-stage blower, and rear blade. The guy selling it has never had a mower on it and has no clue if it is set up to use a MMM or not. I'm almost as clueless as the guy selling it. How do I tell if this tractor has the goods to run a mower (i.e lift and mid PTO)??????

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

MMM for 955

View my Photos
jd110_1963

2007-01-02          138435

To my knowledge, all 655, 755, 855, and 955's had mid pto and mid rockshaft. I would be more worried about finding a used mower deck that will fit. New decks aren't availble anymore. I don't know if aftermarket models are available or not. Woods may be a good place to check. ....

MMM for 955

View my Photos
hardwood

2007-01-03          138438

NOMIRT-I'd check around at JD dealerships, The dealer I use most frequently usually has some used decks on hand, I bought one from him for an older moder rider mower, plus he would know what brackets if any you'd need to make it fit properly. I think several different models of decks will fit your tractor by just changing some mounting brackets. Enjoy your day. Frank. ....

MMM for 955

View my Photos
yooperpete
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-01-03          138439

You may also want to consider just a rear mount mower deck. A friend of mine had a 955 equipped that way and preferred it, since it was easier to remove for use with the rear blade and other attachments. Likewise, rear mowers are lots cheaper! Doesn't a front snow blower run off of the mid-PTO? ....

MMM for 955

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-01-03          138441

As JD110 said to my knowledge all the 955 had mid PTO. Personally I have never had the cover off mine. I use a Bulher 60 inch 3pt mower. It is rear discharge. I can cut as close or closer around trees as a mid mount. I use the mower swing to my advantage.
My lawn is Centipee with heavy clay soil so there is no problem with the rear tires on the grass. It does an excellent job. ....

MMM for 955

View my Photos
NOMIRT

2007-01-03          138444

Thanks for the input everyone. After considering all I've learned here I think I'd be inclined to using a rear deck for the cost aspect alone. Didn't realize new MMM decks were no longer available. My local JD dealer leaves much to be desired but there are a few down state that I trust. I forgot about the front blower and the mid pto, the seller had said that when he was showing it to me. He acted like he had no clue what is used to drive the MMM on this particular tractor and I've never had one on a JD this big before. I want to use it to cut grass on 2.5 acres plus eat the 6 foot snow drift that appears in front of my garage in the night. Plus the kids love tractor rides. Thanks again everybody. ....

MMM for 955

View my Photos
yooperpete

2007-01-03          138446

NOMIRT
If in the future you need a JD dealer, consider Bader Brothers with branches in Reese, Saginaw and Birch Run. Their Birch Run branch is 1/4 mile west of I-75 just across from the Manufacturer's Mall.

Bader & Sons (cousins) have a dealership in St. Louis which is a little North of Lansing if you head in that direction more in the center of the state. ....

MMM for 955

View my Photos
hardwood

2007-01-03          138448

I just looked it up, I paid 200.00 for the used deck plus a set of blades, and I think it was a 325 tractor I put it on. Can't remember the model no. of the deck but he gave me the right brackets and it worked fine. I sold that one when I bought the second 345, the Mrs. likes the power steering on the 345's. I use a 72inch rear mouint Landpride on the 4310 for the ditch and waterway mowing, it does a nice job and handles the rough stuff better than a midmount. I fully agree it is a peach to hook up and unhook compared to a midmouint. Frank. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login