Go Bottom Go Bottom

Turf tire for 4600 JD

View my Photos
bvinduck
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-10-23          136223

I'm looking at getting turf tires of my 4600. I currently have Titans R4? industrial tread; size: 17.5-5L-24 (rear) and 10-16.5 NHS (front). I don't know a lot about tires but I can't find ANY turf tires in that same size. JD parts shows my rims are rear:(W12-24)and front:(16.5 x 8.25) Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Turf tire for 4600 JD

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-10-23          136231

Usually the turfs come on different rims than the R-4's, especially on the rears.

Your owners manual should give you a starting point. ....

Turf tire for 4600 JD

View my Photos
bvinduck

2006-10-23          136241

First, thanks for your response. I've check the owners manaul. It only shows tire sizes without stating R1,R3,R4. I've tried to go through the local dealer but they state JD doesn't sell tires. They said connect the local tire dealer and go from there. I did that - their response was they didn't have turf tires in that same size as what was on the tractor. They didn't even give me any options. ....

Turf tire for 4600 JD

View my Photos
dsg
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-10-23          136244

Turf's for your tractor would be REAR, 44x18.00-20 FRONT, 27x8.50-15 . If your local dealer won't help you, get away from him and seek another JD dealer. He is blowing smoke up your a$$, Most dealers would be glad to help/sell you a set of tires. You will need different size rims.

David ....

Turf tire for 4600 JD

View my Photos
whiteturbo

2006-10-23          136246

If the R4 tires will fit my 3520 i may be intersted in buying them if they are for sale. ....

Turf tire for 4600 JD

View my Photos
DRankin

2006-10-23          136253

Deere does sell tires and rims, but trust me, you won't like the prices. I wouldn't be surprised if they wanted $2500 for a complete set.

It sounds like you might need different front and rear rims and the new turfs.

Look at gemplers.com and you can get a rough idea what rims and tires are available and some concept as to real world pricing. ....

Turf tire for 4600 JD

View my Photos
bvinduck

2006-10-25          136301

I've gotten a little surprise. The local JD dealer contacted me with a price of approx $2000.00 to get all new rims and tires. I'm now debating on if the price is worth it. My problem is my buddy has turf tire on is Kubota and has little to not problems going in the sand. I have the R4's Plus, I'm hoping that driving slow on turf that it won't tear it up when turning. Thus, I can get use out of my 72" mid mount mower to mow the turf. ....

Turf tire for 4600 JD

View my Photos
hardwood

2006-10-25          136311

Two thousand bucks for four kinda small tires and rims is a lot of jack. I've been following this as it's went along and have been wondering why you would give up R4's for turfs. I've used both. Unless you have some unusual special circumstance, I can't think of anytime including snow, mud, front yard work or whatever I got into that I wanted the turfs back. Just my thoughts. Frank. ....

Turf tire for 4600 JD

View my Photos
bvinduck

2006-10-28          136389

Hi Everyone,
Well, the decision for turf tires or not.... I need tires that go in the sand and on turf. I currently have R4. What's the vote- pay $2000.00 to go to turf or stay with r4's and try not to tear up the turf....

Final- I would like to thank everyone that gave input! ....

Turf tire for 4600 JD

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-10-28          136392

$2k is a lot of scratch. Can you rent a similar machine with turfs for a few hours to see how they work? In the clay soil here R4s are near worthless, wet or dry, and it's hard for me to imagine how turfs could be worse. ....

Turf tire for 4600 JD

View my Photos
hardwood

2006-10-29          136394

Just a thought; Maybe if you got the word out there may be some one who would want to trade thair turfs and rims for your R4's. I know turf's are rarely seen around here anymore, a dealer told me a couple years ago that he will not order a tractor with turfs unless it is sold, the last one he had sat for two years before someone would buy it. I demoed a new Deere with turfs when the 4300's were just out, it had turfs, if the grass was wet you were stuck. Best of luck. Frank. ....

Turf tire for 4600 JD

View my Photos
dsg

2006-10-29          136396

I'm a firm believer that R-4's are the best all-around/happy medium tire. They'll take much more load than R-1's or R-3's and pretty hard (no pun intended) too puncture.

David ....

Turf tire for 4600 JD

View my Photos
DRankin

2006-10-30          136410

Maybe I am the only other guy on the board that understands the sand issue.

Much of my lot is windblown, loose sand. My first tractor came with R-1's..... talk about useless. Actually it was worse than useless, the tires were counter-productive.

Everywhere I drove it looked like a rototiller had passed through. I had it in 4wd 100 percent of the time with the track-lock engaged and it would still get stuck.

I went through the R-4 phase too (oh my aching back!) and found them better on sand than the R-1's but terrible in mud.... it does rain in the desert too.... and useless on snow without chains. Did I mention the ride quality? OUCH.

My solution was a light truck M&S Radial with 8-10 pounds of pressure in them. I am not sure that will work for you, but it is worth checking.

Measure the height of your present rear tires are and see if there is an off-road tire made with the same diameter.

The fronts will be much easier to match.

If you can't make that work, get the factory turfs or a reasonable facsimile and don't look back. ....

Turf tire for 4600 JD

View my Photos
montemichini

2010-04-21          170204

hello are you still looking for the turf tires for your jd 4600 i have a jd 4700 with them on it that will fit your tractor i am looking for a set of wheels and tires that are the r4 industrial tires. my rims are the factory wheels and tires i think like a 20" in rear and like 15" in front. if you are still intrested let me know i would like to swap someone for the r4 industrial setup or even the r1 set with the 28" rear wheel ....

Turf tire for 4600 JD

View my Photos
abetractor

2013-02-26          186303

Did you get your tires figured out? ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login